What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vintcase: "An iPad case Indiana Jones would want to own"

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintcase: An iPad case Indiana Jones would want to own
by Steven Sande (RSS feed) on Jan 21st, 2011

vintcase-title2.jpg

Here at TUAW, we see an endless parade of iPad and iPhone cases. I mean, seriously -- if I see another carbon copy plastic or silicone case for an iPad, I may toss my breakfast. So when someone sends me something a bit out of the ordinary, I'll usually take notice.

That was the situation when I received an email a few weeks ago from a gentleman who pointed me to the website for his company, Vintcase. In his email, he said that they made "the most beautiful, awesome, gorgeous, amazing, classy and wonderful iPad case made on Earth (and beyond)." All hyperbole aside, a look at the website revealed a very beautiful leather case that reminded me of one of those satchels that Indiana Jones might carry his travel papers in.

Vintcase shipped a case from Ubrique, Spain, one of the pueblos blancos (white towns) in Andalusia where leatherwork is an art. The case came in a nicely wrapped box (check it out in the gallery below) and when I opened it, my senses were overloaded.

The fragrance and soft touch of the leather are amazing, so much so that it's hard to believe that this is an iPad case and not a fashion statement. It does work quite well as an iPad case, and it's something that will age beautifully as it picks up scuffs, stains, and other marks of character.

The best thing about the Vintcase? It's relatively inexpensive, at US$99, when you consider the quality of the product. A case like this will last for years, and hopefully the next generations of iPads will slip right into it. If you're looking for a well-made iPad case with character, something that isn't just another piece of plastic stamped out of a machine, look no further than the Vintcase.

Gallery: The beautiful Vintcase

Vintcase: An iPad case Indiana Jones would want to own

http://www.tuaw.com/photos/the-beautiful-vintcase/#3808369

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it looks very thin... I think if I were to spend this much for a leather case, I would just add a few more dollars and get an Oberon. Those offer beauty and protection.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the pictures, the material is far from "thin" - this is not the type of smooth, sealed leather you find on jackets, belts and wallets. This leather is probably closer to the aniline leather you find on Oberon's covers (that's why it appears wrinkly - it's a lot tougher than it appears). It should easily outlast the lifespan of the device, especially if it comes from a place where leatherworking is a tradition. Their price point sounds about right for this kind of premiium handmade product.

That said, the style of this cover isn't for everyone. I like leather goods, but the leather cord would be a bit too cumbersome, esp if using the device whilst commuting.

shandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it can do what my yoobao is doing at the moment which is in it's writing wedge mode I would be interested. Having visited Spain many many times I know the quality of their leather work is second to none, I like the olde worlde look to it and it is quite a good price seeing it is made in Europe!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if a leather craftsman hand-making a compendium from geunine full-grain leather would price himself that low. A premium product, especially the workmanship, is reflected in its pricing (and obviously not for everyone.)

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya I'm not liking the look or price. Much rather spend $100 on case with keyboard =)

Most reactions

Latest posts