What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video not being shown under "Videos"

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using an iPod Touch for many years but for a while now have mostly been poking around with Android devices (Tablet and various phones). Just a few days ago though I have received a 3rd generation iPad and am having a good time with it so far. However, some things I just need to get used to to understand how to get iOS to do what I want it to do.

One of those little mysteries is the purpose of the "Videos" app. When I open it, it directs me to the iTunes store to download videos. That's fine and all, but shouldn't it also show me whatever other videos I have stored on the iPad? For example, my wife took a video of my daughter on her Android phone and sent it to me via email. I downloaded it to the iPad and when I click on "Videos" it is nowhere to be found. Oddly enough, it does show up under "Photos" in the Camera Roll and I can play it just fine and watch it on the iPad. So I'm wondering, what is there to do with the "Videos" app. Does it only show purchased videos from iTunes? Do I need to go to "Photos" to see my videos. :)

Thanks for all and any enlightenment.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does seem strange, but the camera roll is where your videos end up.

If you rip DVDs and transfer them they go to videos, as do the digital copies which are supplied free with some BluRay disks.

Just a quirk of iOS, I guess.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
cwinter

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kevin! A quirk it is then. I have started to put these videos in a "Videos" Album under Photos then, to make them easier to find. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cwinter said:
Thanks for the reply, Kevin! A quirk it is then. I have started to put these videos in a "Videos" Album under Photos then, to make them easier to find. :)

In that case I'll trot out my usual piece of advice for people who use folders. Do not delete them from the camera roll. Your folder is a collection of links to the original video, nothing more. If you delete it from the camera roll it will also disappear from your folder.

I wish Apple would change this, and make the version in the folder the real one. Who knows how many photographs have been lost because of this?

OP
cwinter

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case I'll trot out my usual piece of advice for people who use folders. Do not delete them from the camera roll. Your folder is a collection of links to the original video, nothing more. If you delete it from the camera roll it will also disappear from your folder.

Thanks for the advice. That piece of information I have already found out through a few Google searches, as I had a hard time understanding what the best way is to transfer pictures to the device. I'm now using iCloud for that rather than synching through iTunes, as an iTunes synched folder cannot be edited in any way. Good warning though! I believe when you delete an item from a Folder the iPad actually reminds you that it will remain in the Camera Roll and deleting an item from Camera Roll reminds you that it will be gone from all folders as well.

This is all a bit odd at first but I guess one gets used to it. :) They should have just called it "All Photos," but that's just the engineer in me speaking...

Most reactions

Latest posts