What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Conferencing on the iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-os-32-video.jpg

Apple's iPad presently may not have the hardware for video conferencing but new details are now suggesting that it's in the future. Dig into the newly released iPad 3.2 SDK (Software Development Kit) and the proof is there. Engadet confirms this in a new article by saying:
iPhone OS 3.2 contains rudimentary support for video calling. We're told that there are hooks to accept and decline a video conference, flip a video feed (which suggests a front-facing camera) and -- most importantly -- run the video call in either full screen mode or in just a portion of the screen. That means you'll be able to chat and do other things at the same time, which could mean there's at least some type of multitasking going on here.
Early rumors suggested Apple's tablet would have a front-facing web cam, but on Jan 27th many Apple fans were let down during the unveiling when it was missing.

{Source: Engadget}

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipad-os-32-video.jpg

Apple's iPad presently may not have the hardware for video conferencing but new details are now suggesting that it's in the future. Dig into the newly released iPad 3.2 SDK (Software Development Kit) and the proof is there. Engadet confirms this in a new article by saying:
iPhone OS 3.2 contains rudimentary support for video calling. We're told that there are hooks to accept and decline a video conference, flip a video feed (which suggests a front-facing camera) and -- most importantly -- run the video call in either full screen mode or in just a portion of the screen. That means you'll be able to chat and do other things at the same time, which could mean there's at least some type of multitasking going on here.
Early rumors suggested Apple's tablet would have a front-facing web cam, but on Jan 27th many Apple fans were let down during the unveiling when it was missing.

{Source: Engadget}

This is another reason why i should wait a bit till buying the ipad.

pughimag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad v Kindle and missing camera

I have read that iTunes does not sell as many songs as many might think. Most people (including me) use it to record the CDs and LPs that they already own. Of course that model does not work for books. As Steve Jobs was demonstrating the iPad we could see that the books on his iPad were priced around $12.00 which is higher than many of the books on Amazon, which seem to be $6-$9.

I purchased a Kindle DX for my wife last year and she likes it very much. It was about the price of the iPad. I am a big Apple fan, mainly because Apple knows how to design user interfaces and their machines are elegant and their approach (you can only use their hardware) produces a more robust system, even if it IS more expensive. I also have Windows computers.

I have to admit, however, that I am not convinced that I need an iPad. I have a Macbook Pro, a MacPro and an iPod Touch. I would like to have an electronic book reader. The 6 inch Kindle is about $250 and has e-ink which may be easier on the eyes than iBook. Also, high-speed network connection is free. The iPad is a super-sized iPod Touch and much heavier than the Kindle and does not have a camera for video conferencing. I think it might be better to wait until next year to see what the second generation iPad might bring so I'm leaning to Kindle right now.

cfw123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a Kindle since it was first sold, with over 700 books on it (many were free) and I use it a lot. But reading the same books on my iPod Touch (which Kindle thankfully allows me to do) is much easier on my eyes, even if the size is much smaller. So I'm not worried about reading on the iPad based on my experence so far. Also it looks like the iPad does not require (or perhaps even use) DRM digital rights management which many publishers forced on Kindle. That's worth the extra price from iBooks over the same book on Kindle in my opinion, since I hate DRM, but would never cheat an author as I am one myself.

As for video calling, Apple announced a camera accessory, which I have not seen any details on so far. But I can at least call out on my iPod Touch using WiFi so soehow I think I can video conferenc -- maybe not perfectly yet, but developers are very clever.

kinito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is a great portable equipment for communication and video conferencing. I'm not sure if ipad can handle a video conference manager functionality for hd conference call.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also it looks like the iPad does not require (or perhaps even use) DRM digital rights management which many publishers forced on Kindle. That's worth the extra price from iBooks over the same book on Kindle in my opinion, since I hate DRM, but would never cheat an author as I am one myself.

Kindle books can be read on many platforms. iBooks from Apple can be read only on iOS devices, so it doesn't make sense to me to pay more for limited access.

DRM is in authors' favor, so I'm not sure why an author would dislike it.

Apple's terms to authors seem onerous to me, but each author decides for him/herself, of course:

Apple iBooks Review - Should Writers Use It? - ProfileTree

Most reactions

Latest posts