What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VGA cable length??

anonaboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave a "Keynote" presentation this morning and had difficulty positioning myself so I'd not block the view. I typically use a 6' VGA cable from my iPad to the projector with no problem. Will a longer cable (15'-25') have any effect on transmission between units? Twenty-five feet might be overkill but better too long than too short...if there is no degredation. Thanks, BJ

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad a lot for lectures too. Where I lecture they have the LCD projector mounted on the roof over the students and it projects onto a screen behind me. There's a VGA connector on the table in front of me that I can plug in to. For sure, the distance between that connector and the LCD projector on the roof must be more than 15' - 20', but maybe there's some kind of 'repeater' or 'amplifier' there. Next time I'm in the lecture theatre I'll spend some time after the lecture investigating what type of arrangement they have and post my findings back here, unless you get another reply before then.

Tim
Scotland

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I routinely install 15-25 foot VGA cables in classrooms for laptops/iPads with no issues.
For the run up to the projector from the wall interface, we used to run a VGA cable straight to the projector sometimes up to 75 feet.
These days, we use converters that allows us to run CAT-6 style cable to carry the signal.
I have not had any issues with the iPad 1 on a 25 foot cable but have not tried the iPad 2 yet.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, the adapter is like only 10 inches (22 cm) I have also given presentations with really long cables from the podium to the equipment/projector room.

OP
anonaboat

anonaboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I'll get a 25' cable to stow in my presentation bag-of-tricks. BTW, the iPad2 now runs Keynote showing the present and next slide on the pad's screen. And the ability to use your finger as a lazer-light pointer is nothing short of AWESOME! Now if Apple would only support (offer) a CF card reader it would be a wonderful world. BJ, Sacramento

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad a lot for lectures too. Where I lecture they have the LCD projector mounted on the roof over the students and it projects onto a screen behind me. There's a VGA connector on the table in front of me that I can plug in to. For sure, the distance between that connector and the LCD projector on the roof must be more than 15' - 20', but maybe there's some kind of 'repeater' or 'amplifier' there. Next time I'm in the lecture theatre I'll spend some time after the lecture investigating what type of arrangement they have and post my findings back here, unless you get another reply before then.

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim,
How do you move between successive parts of your presentations using iPad 1 if the touchscreen is blank when you're projecting on the screen through VGA? Do you have to keep plugging and unplugging the connector to move to various screens and links? Thanks.

OP
anonaboat

anonaboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll give you half an answer. When I used an iPad1, you're right the pad's screen did not display either the current slide or the next slide...just some arrows and a timer. Now that I'm using the "2" I have my choice of viewing just the current slide, the current and next, or the the current and notes on the iPad screen. Additionally, I have the capability to view the entire slide progression along the left side as you see when designing a presentation.The reason this is only half an answer is that I don't know if the new "views" are a function of the "2's" capabilites or a function of an OS upgrade and the same can now be seen on a "1". I'd check but I no longer have a "1". Can someone else provide the answer?

BJ

Most reactions

Latest posts