What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very disappointed with ios 4.2

zzeng0502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I upgraded from Ios 3.2.2 I noticed, Wifi connect seems to be unstable and the connection speed seems to be slow. I used to open a lot of sites fast with Safari now sometimes it takes a lot longer to open the same site.

And apps like We Rule seems to take an aweful long time to connect sometimes even fail. We farm seems to be a big laggy as if FPS has dropped. Even BBC news seems to have dropped some FPS, it's not so smooth anymore.

TBH the multitask had no difference with Ios 3.2.2 , and I do hate that I would have lots of programmes opened in the multitask panel with no function except u can listen to the radio while browsing sites. Lots of programmes just set back to the opening if I select it from the multitask panel which have no different if I open it in the normal way. eg, Financial times, I was hoping that at least get to the article I was reading before I tabbed to other programmes, but it just set back to the front page as if I have never opened it.

I will restore it back to Ios 3.2.2 now, I cant have it being less responsive and programmes seem to crash more. :(

---------------------------------------------------------

Update:
Just been to apple's official forum, on the first page there's a thread "WiFi/Internet Incredibly slow after iOS 4.2 Upgrade", u can see the long list of ppl having the same problem with wifi became incredibly slow after the upgrade. I can't believe that all ppl on this forum just boast about how good the 4.2 is without one person having Wifi issue?

Last edited:

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 4.xx era has just begun, but I agree with u, have also gone back to my beloved 3.2.2 that 4 me has been the best version yet with less app/compatible issues.

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with going back to 3.2.2 is soon apps will require 4.2. This happened to my iPod when I didn't want to update because of performance issues, now only about half of the apps in the app store install.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 4.xx era has just begun, but I agree with u, have also gone back to my beloved 3.2.2 that 4 me has been the best version yet with less app/compatible issues.

What are you talking about? iOS 4.xx has been released to consumers for 5 months and two days. The "era" has not just begun. The iPad is similar enough to an iPhone that there should be ZERO issues with it after at LEAST 5 months of porting and product testing. Its more like 7 months because iOS 4 was announced last April, and I am sure they didn't wait around to begin porting it to the iPad.

OP
Z

zzeng0502

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What are you talking about? iOS 4.xx has been released to consumers for 5 months and two days. The "era" has not just begun. The iPad is similar enough to an iPhone that there should be ZERO issues with it after at LEAST 5 months of porting and product testing. Its more like 7 months because iOS 4 was announced last April, and I am sure they didn't wait around to begin porting it to the iPad.

Despite the information you gave, the results I had on my ipad was just bad. The only effect I can see through this muiltitask thing is to listen to radio while browsing sites or have MSN running so I can get a push if I get a message. Games app , financial times etc, they just restart from the beginning. And We rule does seem to have a slow connection now, We farm, BBC news aren't smooth anymore like FPS has been reduced.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Developers must release a multitasking enabled version of their application for you to get the functionality you are describing, and despite 4.x being around for a whilst, many iPad apps are yet to be updated because an iPad version did not exist to test upon till 4.2.
I would suggest that the sluggish behaviour and wireless issues you are experiencing are due to possible issues with upgrading, rather than restoring as a "new" device. I have found with major OS version upgrades in the past (iPhones) that setting up a device as new has always been better.
Doing a side by side comparison of 3.2.2 and 4.2.1 on iPads, I can confirm that 4.2.1 is perceptibly (although only slightly) faster in most use cases. If you can stand the inconvenience, I would suggest setting up as new and syncing your media back (losing your "data" of course)...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you have not upgraded your apps yet try log on to iTunes via the ipad and see what apps need upgrading.
In respect to my ipad, I have faster wifi connection and over 80% of my apps now support the new os as I have upgraded most of them over te past month when running the beta os4.2. If problems still exist then I would suggest a full restore in iTunes and see if that helps
Overall performance in safari is faster and not only on the ipad but also on the iPhone 3GS which I upgraded as well
The other thing to do is turn off your modem router and restart then in ipad preference go to wifi and click forget connection then reconnect . This may resolve the wifi speed. Hope it helps.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having so much fun with it I got up between 3 and 5 in the morning and was playing around with it.

With every upgrade of any device I've been around be it iPad, Droid, Blackberry, anything of a "smart device" nature you're always going to have some people who aren't happy with it. That's not a put down on the people who don't like it, you certainly are entitled to express your disappointment. But I have a feeling you're in the minority.

OP
Z

zzeng0502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just downgraded back to 3.2.2. it seems to be a lot more smooth. and connection speed has gone back to normal. When I had 4.2, even just We rule's update got stuck a few times before it finanlly succeeded. But with 3.2.2 that was done in 30 secs.( with WIFI) . And I did reinstall them, it didnt even open before I reinstalled that.
The safari is the same, every once in a while the time it took to load sites was way longer than 3.2.2 as if I had lost connection for a few secs when I was using 3G connection. But 3.2.2 never had that problem.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really haven't noticed much in the way of faster or slower since the upgrade really. I was hoping web pages would render a little quicker, but I wonder if that has more to do with the rather small amount of memory Apple decided to put in the Ipad. I don't see me going back, and really the main reason I upgraded was for App compatibility so if for no other reason it was worth upgrading. I don't need folders (I only have a page and a half of apps as it is) and the fast app switching (I refuse to call it multi-tasking) is probably nice but it will never be what people are looking for anyhow. For me the update was pretty much a non-event, although I do wish I had that screen lock switch back .. lol.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just downgraded back to 3.2.2. it seems to be a lot more smooth. and connection speed has gone back to normal. When I had 4.2, even just We rule's update got stuck a few times before it finanlly succeeded. But with 3.2.2 that was done in 30 secs.( with WIFI) . And I did reinstall them, it didnt even open before I reinstalled that.
The safari is the same, every once in a while the time it took to load sites was way longer than 3.2.2 as if I had lost connection for a few secs when I was using 3G connection. But 3.2.2 never had that problem.

Really strange you say that...when I had 4.2.1 and my GF had 3.2.2 I noticed mine was considerably faster than hers.

slim gravy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky, mine seems peppier, wifi is just fine. And I do like the app switching...

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.2.1 is verifiably faster wifi for me. I use Speed Test and with 3.2.2 I averaged 12MBps with 14MBps being the maximum I get. Since upgrading to 4.2.1 I get 16MBps average with upwards of 18MBps at times. Much faster access than I had before. This is Comcast in the Rocky Mountain area, your mileage may vary depending on the ISP and network hardware.

Also, the quick switching works extremely well for me. Most of my apps remember their state and are ready to go as soon as I switch back. That of course may depend the Apps you are using. I never use Safari since I made Atomic my go to browser, it has had no problems and works great with fast switching. Almost as nice as switching between apps on the Android.

All in all the 4.2.1 upgrade has been a big plus for me.

I think it would be nice if we could compile a list of Apps that work well with 4.2.1 and those that still need fixing.

Most reactions