What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Disappointed by Quality of Available iPad3 Cases

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning well in advance of my June 1 purchase of a New iPad, and have been narrowing down my case choices. The only cases out there that seem to meet my configuration requirements are the SwitchEasy Canvas, Speck PixelSkin, STM Grip and possibly the upcoming Hard Candy Chrome Bezel with integrated screen protection. But I am troubled by something I saw today.

On a visit to WalleyWorld to pick up a prescription, I stopped into their iPad display. Cases from Belkin, Speck, Incipio and Griffin were on the shelves. I picked some of them up to examine. And I was very disappointed to find that they were all shoddily-made toys that I would not wrap a fish in, let alone anything as elegant as an iPad.

I saw loose seams, frayed edges, children's-toy plastic, cheap elastic, bad stitching, scratchy linings, blemished covers, and the list goes on. So much for the glossy pictures of these goods on the makers' websites, and the glowing reviews from the blogosphere. This makes me wonder if it is worth it to spend $40-60 for a folio case unless I can at least handle it first, or if I should just go for a back-protector shell and a good screen protector. (I have ruled out the Smart Cover because of the numerous complaints about it that I have read.) Either that or sacrifice the iPad's svelteness and easy handling by springing for an expensive DodoCase or Vaja. I'd rather be true to the device's high-quality ethos than wrap it in a more utilitarian but low-quality case.

I'm leaning now toward the SwitchEasy Canvas, but I'm afraid when it arrives, it too will turn out to be a slapdash piece of junk despite the good reviews it has received. What should I do? Ask around at the Apple Store (60 miles from my house)? Continue my research at a Best Buy? Go minimal with a TPU or silicone back/side protector? Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Last edited:

STeBoS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well your certainly on the right track by doing your homework and seeing what's out there. I've gone through three cases trying to find something that feels right. I eventually went with a TPU back and an Apple Smart Cover. I had read reviews for the Smart Cover and was hesitant but am quite happy with it. It is wildly overpriced though.

Good TPU backs can be found on Amazon dirt cheap. Good luck!!

Sent from Latveria

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning well in advance of my June 1 purchase of a New iPad, and have been narrowing down my case choices. The only cases out there that seem to meet my configuration requirements are the SwitchEasy Canvas, Speck PixelSkin, STM Grip and possibly the upcoming Hard Candy Chrome Bezel with integrated screen protection. But I am troubled by something I saw today.

On a visit to WalleyWorld to pick up a prescription, I stopped into their iPad display. Cases from Belkin, Speck, Incipio and Griffin were on the shelves. I picked some of them up to examine. And I was very disappointed to find that they were all shoddily-made toys that I would not wrap a fish in, let alone anything as elegant as an iPad.

I saw loose seams, frayed edges, children's-toy plastic, cheap elastic, bad stitching, scratchy linings, blemished covers, and the list goes on. So much for the glossy pictures of these goods on the makers' websites, and the glowing reviews from the blogosphere. This makes me wonder if it is worth it to spend $40-60 for a folio case unless I can at least handle it first, or if I should just go for a back-protector shell and a good screen protector. (I have ruled out the Smart Cover because of the numerous complaints about it that I have read.) Either that or sacrifice the iPad's svelteness and easy handling by springing for an expensive DodoCase or Vaja. I'd rather be true to the device'shigh-quality ethos than wrap it in a more utilitarian but low-quality case.

I'm leaning now toward the SwitchEasy Canvas, but I'm afraid when it arrives, it too will turn out to be a slapdash piece of junk despite the good reviews it has received. What should I do? Ask around at the Apple Store (60 miles from my house)? Continue my research at a Best Buy? Go minimal with a TPU or silicone back/side protector? Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Don't get a case lol unless you plan on dropping it. I understand a case for a phone, but I don't have a case or screen protector on my iPad, have had an iPad 2 since launch, and my new iPad since launch, never had a scratch on either one, front or back. I did use a smart cover for a while on my iPad 2, but stopped after it annoyed me opening and closing it all the time lol

OP
D

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exile, I have seen comments that the Smart Cover needs to be handled very carefully to avoid scratches to the screen and body, and that it will not lie flat on the right edge when closed. Plus, it just seems as if you're getting so little for the money. What do you think?

OP
D

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ, thanks for pointing me to the Bear Motion, which is now on my list of finalists, along with Portenzo. It's too bad that lightness, slimness and some functionality have to be sacrificed for construction quality, but the Bear and Portenzo seem to have a good balance. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that when thinness and lightness are the top priorities, quality and elegance are going to suffer.

Bear Motion does not seem to have its own website, and from the reviews, it's a little hard to get an idea of the full range of their latest New iPad products. Do you know a useful site?

The Bodyguardz Garrison and STM Skinny look like fine cases, but I think they share a design flaw with a lot of folios, in that the workstand positions require folding the inside cover directly over onto the table surface or your lap. If the tabletop is dirty, the inside cover will pick up the schmutz and rub it all over your iPad screen when you close it up. I don't want to have to be cleaning the inside cover or wiping down my work surface every time I use the stand feature. That's why I'd prefer a stand that uses the outside cover as the base.

Oh, did I mention that I'm picky?

Last edited:

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scratches... I find that hard to believe unless you have some grain of sand or something on the glass side of the smart cover; then wipe the glass with the smart cover. Or... being careless when taking off the smart cover and some how manage to scratch the glass with the edge of the magnet hinge.

It sits perfectly fine for me. Probably just a user error who ever said that theirs doesn't sit flat.

OP
D

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're probably right, Exile. The SC certainly is a brilliant concept, and using it with a silicone back protector like the Scosche Glossee was my original vision. Who knows, I may go back to it in the end. Or I may go that direction for home use and get a nice case for when I travel.

Let me ask you a question: One accessory that appeals to me greatly is the upcoming Spigen Glas.t tempered-glass screen protector (The very best in screen protection, GLAS.t Premium Tempered Glass Series. [COMING SOON] / SPIGEN SGP Blog). I figure that at 0.4mm thick, it's about as thick as four sheets of paper. Do you think the SC would play nice with it?

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I highly doubt the smart cover will be affected by it. If anything, if you use a stylus, I would question how well the stylus will work with that particular screen protector. If anyone thinks differently do correct me.

From what I've read though, on various screen protectors; the smart cover isn't affected.

Also, I do agree. For the price of the smart cover, you would think that it could be a little bit cheaper. What can you do though. Apple is Apple... You know you will be getting a solid product.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dchristo said:
AQ, thanks for pointing me to the Bear Motion, which is now on my list of finalists, along with Portenzo. It's too bad that lightness, slimness and some functionality have to be sacrificed for construction quality, but the Bear and Portenzo seem to have a good balance. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that when thinness and lightness are the top priorities, quality and elegance are going to suffer.

Bear Motion does not seem to have its own website, and from the reviews, it's a little hard to get an idea of the full range of their latest New iPad products. Do you know a useful site?

The Bodyguardz Garrison and STM Skinny look like fine cases, but I think they share a design flaw with a lot of folios, in that the workstand positions require folding the inside cover directly over onto the table surface or your lap. If the tabletop is dirty, the inside cover will pick up the schmutz and rub it all over your iPad screen when you close it up. I don't want to have to be cleaning the inside cover or wiping down my work surface every time I use the stand feature. That's why I'd prefer a stand that uses the outside cover as the base.

Oh, did I mention that I'm picky?

I never put my stuff on a dirty table so I'm NEVER wiping anything off the inside of anything. If this is the case with you, you will not be happy with any ot these cases. No cover uses the outside cover as the base because they would wear out quickly and look very bad. More so the the table surfaces is covered with crud. That is not going to work with any case.

The smart cover from apple works well for protecting the screen but it does not protect the back at all. And it is expensive for what you get.

Todd400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the otterbox defender on my ipad3 and think it is a great investment for heavy duty protection and I personally love the look of it :)

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dchristo, it sounds like you and I have similar requirements when it comes to an iPad case/cover. When I first picked up my iPad 3, I grabbed one of the few cases available at the time specifically made for the new iPad - a Targus Vuscape. It was supposed to serve as a temporary case until I found a permanent case. It's turned out that this was the best case for the money compared to the dozens I've looked at, and served the purposes I was looking for:

Slim profile
Adequate padding
Multiple viewing angles
Outside surface of cover serves as bottom

http://www.targus.com/us/ipad/vuscape.aspx

The outside cover as the bottom is a pet peeve of mine. Usually the inner lining of a case is made of a soft material to prevent scratches, but it's also a lint/dust/crumbs/pet hair magnet. And if you have a case that folds where the inside comes in contact with the surface of a table, chances are that it will pick up some of the stuff, (unless you wipe down the surface first, which can be a hassle). The crud will then transfer to the screen of your iPad and then you'll have to wipe down the iPad and use a lint roller to clean off the inside cover. I had this experience with my iPad 2 which was in a Marware case which folded back. I usually meet clients at locations like Starbucks, where there's always some remnant of the mocha frap and lemon pound cake from the previous customer. Even after wiping down the table, the case always picked up something.

The Vuscape eliminated that problem. As a matter of fact, here are the pros and features of the Vuscape:

Stiff, magnetic cover with adequate padding to protect the screen from minor bumps
Slim profile that shows off much of the iPad's form factor (the back has a cutout to show off the Apple logo)
3 viewing angles in landscape
Leather-like material is durable, water repellant, and cleans easily
Good quality materials, stitching, assembly
Good price at $39.99. @ Best Buy
Pen/stylus holder
And an "unintended" feature in which you can hold the case like a handle when it's folded in flat mode (see pic below).
-------Useful for holding the iPad without gripping the iPad itself. This is how I hold it when I'm lying in bed.

To be fair, I'll list some cons:

Three of the edges (not corners) exposed
No portrait mode
Hmmm... That's all I can think of lol!

The case impressed me so much that I bought another in gray, and plan on getting another one, maybe in blue. After re-reading my post, I realize that I sound like a paid advertisement from Targus, but I have to say that the only other time I was thoroughly impressed with a gadget case was the Vaja for my HP 4700 pocket pc, which I paid a premium for.

Edit: I noticed in some of the pics on the website that there is one mode where you can fold the case in a way where the inside cover is on the bottom. I don't recommend this for the obvious reason that the inside is on the bottom, and it's not as stable. But it's there if it fits your fancy.

On fit: it fits pretty much perfectly, so when putting the iPad in the case, make sure you slide it until it's completely flush against the retaining corners. That way it'll be as smooth as butta!

Attachments

• image-549523638.jpg
    image-549523638.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 336
  • image-2433671436.jpg
    image-2433671436.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 311
  • image-1820457374.jpg
    image-1820457374.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 305
  • image-2436872658.jpg
    image-2436872658.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 325
  • image-3812952801.jpg
    image-3812952801.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 314
  • image-3344054281.jpg
    image-3344054281.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's any help, I just got this case in the mail yesterday. I'd ordered it about ten days ago, but it had been on backorder at the time.

STM Grip for Apple iPad 3 and iPad 2 - Thin, Protective, Padded Carrying Case with Built In Stand and Auto Sleep/Wake Sensor - RadTech Products

I'm very pleased with it. It has a stand-within-a-stand -- the longer stem extends from the case to prop the iPad upright in the landscape position. The smaller stem, concealed within the larger one, can be extended instead in order to prop the iPad up in a typing position.

It's a nice, sturdy, hard material, but it doesn't strike me as feeling cheap or brittle in any way. When the cover is snapped shut, the magnets in it put the iPad to sleep.

On both sides (the iPad side and the lid), the case is lined with a fabric that not only helps protect from scratches but, when the iPad is propped up on my lap, adds friction. At least, it adds friction when I'm wearing slacks, lol. I haven't tried wearing shorts and putting the iPad in my lap yet. But at least I'm less nervous about having the iPad slide off my lap, when it's in this case.

The case itself is textured and easy to grip. All the buttons and ports, as well as the camera and microphone, are usable. I can charge the iPad in the case without any difficulty. I also had no trouble removing the iPad from the case, so I'm sure it was designed specifically with the iPad 3 in mind (as opposed to the iPad 2 cases that sometimes give owners of the new iPad difficulties in getting the device in/out).

And as a bonus, I like all four of the colors the case comes in quite a lot. Unfortunately, I can't afford all four cases ;), so I had to choose one. I picked the orange one -- let's go, Flyers! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts