What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon won't sell an Ipad without a social security #

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was pretty freaky!

I intended to purchase a Verizon wifi Ipad, with the associated mifi device. I made it clear that I was not committing to any service plan and understood that this would cost more.

The clerk scanned my Drivers License and refused to sell me the ipad, unless I provided him with a Social Security Number!! I declined and will never do business with Verizon.

Are any attorneys reading this post? Is this practice illegal? Can I get the store, or Verizon in trouble?

I can not be more shocked.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was pretty freaky!

The clerk scanned my Drivers License and refused to sell me the ipad, unless I provided him with a Social Security Number!! I declined and will never do business with Verizon.

Were you going to buy it on credit; i.e. a credit application was required?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then just go to Best Buy. They will need your SS to start a data plan if you want to MyFi...Why would you go to Verizon if you weren't interested in the service?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was pretty freaky!

I intended to purchase a Verizon wifi Ipad, with the associated mifi device. I made it clear that I was not committing to any service plan and understood that this would cost more.

Are any attorneys reading this post? Is this practice illegal? Can I get the store, or Verizon in trouble?

Even AT&T prefers that you have your ss on file. I think they will make an exception if your against it but it is quite commonplace. I think the days of the be all end all ss number is growing old. Most everyone wants it banks,credit cards,cell carriers..ect. Its turning into an ID number and personal passcodes that only you know are becoming the security (because for the most part a personal passcode isn't in a hackable database like a ss# is.

Last edited:

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was pretty freaky!

It's people like you why this country is going south...

If you didn't like how they did business, then go somewhere else. SIMPLE AS THAT. ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO TRY AND SUE FOR THIS. All you had to do was tell them if that's how they are going to do it, you are gonna take your business elsewhere, this is the beauty of America.

And by the way, what in the world do you think they are going to do with it? The Verizon Corporate office is going to get a car loan?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And by the way, what in the world do you think they are going to do with it? The Verizon Corporate office is going to get a car loan?

Probably not. However, you are not required to give your SS number to any business if you choose not to. Why wouldn't someone want to give it out? Perhaps because we are constantly reading about corporate databases being hacked into and the information stolen. Perhaps Verizon doesn't want to get a car loan, but the hacker that just stole your number might want just that, or perhaps he would like to sell your information to someone that wishes to use it for more sinister reasons. Once someone steals your identity it can take years (if ever) to erase the damage.

Still, Verizon can ask for your SS if they wish to. They can refuse to do business with you if you don't give it to them. Those are their stipulations and if you don't like it you simply need to move on to another company.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not. However, you are not required to give your SS number to any business if you choose not to. Why wouldn't someone want to give it out? Perhaps because we are constantly reading about corporate databases being hacked into and the information stolen. Perhaps Verizon doesn't want to get a car loan, but the hacker that just stole your number might want just that, or perhaps he would like to sell your information to someone that wishes to use it for more sinister reasons. Once someone steals your identity it can take years (if ever) to erase the damage.

Still, Verizon can ask for your SS if they wish to. They can refuse to do business with you if you don't give it to them. Those are their stipulations and if you don't like it you simply need to move on to another company.

Good point, and I see that, but what I bolded is my point exactly. If/when they say they need it to sign you up for data, and your mindset is to NOT give it out, then it is as simple as saying "No, and if you make me do that I will take my business elsewhere." Then the ball is in Verizon's court to go forward. There is NO POINT in pursuing legal action for something like this. They did not threaten to kill your first born if you don't get a data plan.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to argue the point, but I do believe that you are required to give ss numbers to banks when you open an account. Of course, I could be wrong, and it wouldnt be the first nor last time.

OP
M

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To followup on some posts:

I was not applying for any credit. I had my credit card out in full view of the clerk. After I agreed on the data plan and the device capacity and some accessories, the clerk first asked for my drivers license. I don't remember if I gave him permission to scan it, as the process was so fast, but he than scanned it into his system. He then quickly brought up the number pad on the checkout touch screen and asked for my social security number. When I asked why, he told me it was for a credit check. The clerk wasn't too swift, as I had mentioned at least 3 times that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, that comes with the free mifi device. I was instead paying for the mifi device. They were not extending any credit to me at all. In the pre-sales discussion, I was told that I could go online and log in to my newly created Verizon account and authorize a credit card to pay for the monthly 3G service. If the sale happened and my credit card would later be declined, Verizon would simply stop providing wifi service to the mifi device. The most liability Verizon would have in this situation would be 1 months of service which was $35.00 for the 3 gig plan. How would having my social security number on file help them with this? Is it important for them to have the right to put a bad mark on my credit score for $35.00?? Give me a break!

After I reminded the clerk again that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, and I didn't want to give my social security number, he literally spent 5 minutes on his pc, occasionally hitting some keys. Maybe he was instant messaging his supervisor? I grew tired of this and asked what the issue was. He told me that as I was going to open a Verizon Account, (this seemed like a big deal, as during the pre sales talk, the clerk asked me several times, weather I had a Verizon account, which I did not) my social security number was required. Can somebody shed some light on this. I asked the clerk to remove my drivers license scan from the system. He informed me that it was already done. I told him that I no longer wanted the sale. I've worked in retail for many years and I can't believe the lack of caring or emotions over the failed sale that the clerk showed.

Guess what Verizon - We live in a free world and have a free market. I'm free to buy my Ipad elsewhere and to never conduct business with Verizon again. I also have the outlet of this forum and hope I convince others to not do business with Verizon as well.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wont use anyone but Verizon for my cell service. Its the only company that has true reliable service and coverage. I tried att when I had my iphone, and couldnt even get service half the time when I lived in downtown chicago. Never again.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I agree with you there. If they where going to check your credit for a month to month plan thats stupid & I wouldn't agree to that......:confused:

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I was not applying for any credit. I had my credit card out in full view of the clerk. After I agreed on the data plan and the device capacity and some accessories, the clerk first asked for my drivers license. I don't remember if I gave him permission to scan it, as the process was so fast, but he than scanned it into his system. He then quickly brought up the number pad on the checkout touch screen and asked for my social security number. When I asked why, he told me it was for a credit check. The clerk wasn't too swift, as I had mentioned at least 3 times that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, that comes with the free mifi device. I was instead paying for the mifi device. They were not extending any credit to me at all. In the pre-sales discussion, I was told that I could go online and log in to my newly created Verizon account and authorize a credit card to pay for the monthly 3G service. If the sale happened and my credit card would later be declined, Verizon would simply stop providing wifi service to the mifi device. The most liability Verizon would have in this situation would be 1 months of service which was $35.00 for the 3 gig plan. How would having my social security number on file help them with this? Is it important for them to have the right to put a bad mark on my credit score for $35.00?? Give me a break!

After I reminded the clerk again that I was not committing to the 2 year data plan, and I didn't want to give my social security number, he literally spent 5 minutes on his pc, occasionally hitting some keys. Maybe he was instant messaging his supervisor? I grew tired of this and asked what the issue was. He told me that as I was going to open a Verizon Account, (this seemed like a big deal, as during the pre sales talk, the clerk asked me several times, weather I had a Verizon account, which I did not) my social security number was required. Can somebody shed some light on this. I asked the clerk to remove my drivers license scan from the system. He informed me that it was already done. I told him that I no longer wanted the sale. I've worked in retail for many years and I can't believe the lack of caring or emotions over the failed sale that the clerk showed.

Guess what Verizon - We live in a free world and have a free market. I'm free to buy my Ipad elsewhere and to never conduct business with Verizon again. I also have the outlet of this forum and hope I convince others to not do business with Verizon as well.

Yes, and this is everything I said is what you should do. I'm sorry they were not kind and did not listen to you, but you could have asked for the manager to help you with your problem. The problem I have with this situation, is that instead of doing what you are saying you're doing (go somewhere else, like AT&T) you go onto a forum hoping to be able to sue them for this.

I would have done what you did, and say if you need all this, I'm going somewhere else, but I'm not about to waste my time trying to take legal action against a company who is allowed to do this... It's their policy, and you have, as you were granted, every right to deny this.

Way too many people now-a-days take every possible opportunity to bring up a lawsuit, which in the end, ends up hurting the consumer.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

While it's true you have freedom of choice I really don't get the hate factor...and how you would worry about others choice to do business with Verizon...just doesn't relate. They were not being sneaky, were not cheating, nor trying to trick you into anything. They were simply following policy...I'm shocked you were even given an option for a month to month plan...most cell companies do not. In fact Verizon probably just set this when they started offering the iPad bundle therefore they dont have amend protocols for non contract plans...regardless in my opinion I see no reason for the negativity bandwagon to roll through.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Way too many people now-a-days take every possible opportunity to bring up a lawsuit, which in the end, ends up hurting the consumer.

This is an under statement. I was at Midas, the other day and it was so cold in there, so I asked Mark, the owner where did the coffee pot and cups and whatnot go that use to be out here in the lobby for customers.

He said that a lady spilled some on her and sued them, stating too hot!! They ended up settling with her for 35k!

Coffee is gone.:(

Most reactions

Latest posts