What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon web mail Safari and JavaScript

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum and would like to thank anyone in advance for looking at my post and I am hoping someone has an answer for me.

I have been using my ipad for my verizon email account using the web mail option through Safari. I never had any problem composing or replying to my mail. Two weeks ago I suddenly could no longer reply or compose mail.
I turned on the debug console and found an error in javascript.
What happens...
When I try to reply or compose as I touch the area it just does a fast highlight and no keyboard pops up. The error message is as follows:
JavaScript Warning on Line 14
RichText should not be used with the TEXTAREA tag. See dijit._editor.RichText.docs

I called Verizon and they told me to call Apple. So I called tech support for Apple and he recommended that upgrade to current version which I did.

No luck still cannot use the reply or compose. I also cannot scroll down.

Is this a Verizon web design problem or a Safari problem?
Please help :( thanks

annperry8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an Apple issue. It sounds like you got a tech at Apple that did not know what he/she was doing or at the end of their shift. Call Apple back make the tech stay on the phone with you until issue resolved. Of course you will need to have access to itunes so be prepared. If this was a Verizon issue you would not be able to do any data on you iPad. The only thing Verizon supplies to your ipad is a network connection.

Reaction score
I think you are misunderstanding
The op is accessing their mail via the Safari browser, not necessarily using Verizon network for the connection.
It could very well be both. I ran into a problem on another browser where the web page didn't recognize Safari correctly and had to switch that browser to Android 2.2 for it to work right.
It could very well be that an update to the Verizon site could have made it not be able to correctly render to Safari. You might try another browser that tricks the websites into seeing IE 8, Android 2.2, Mac OS , etc. Terra does it if memory serves and is free. If that works you know it's Verizon and can approach from that angle.
Have you tried setting your Verizon account in the stock email app? It's pretty easy
If you want to stick to browser method I suggest icab. It's not free but it's an amazing browser alternative to Safari

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
OP
Buffy

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to annperry8 for your response. I did work with Apple Tech and I do not think it is a "Apple" problem at this point.

Thanks to Mountainbikermark for your response. I did download the icab browser and I got it to work using the Android setting. I started to play around with the other settings Safari for iPad worked and then I don't know what the heck I did but now it is not working. I am going to bed and will play with it again tomorrow. I think it is a Verizon web page error but knowing how Verizon works I will not be able to talk to the developer of that site. (I worked for Verizon for 32 years so I do know how difficult it will be to get to the right person).
I will let update tomorrow. Thanks again

Ward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution?

Did you find a solution for this problem? We just got an ipad and are having the same problem with Verizon webmail.

nealfg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon "improvements"

I am having the same problems on both ipad and iphone. And verizon is of no help.

One solution is to use two fingers to enable scrolling

I also tried Opera Mini on the iphone with no success.

It is a formating problem, maybe caused by lack of flash?

I still need a solution............neal

nealfg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had a long chat with V tech support. "not my problem" is still the official position.

Anybody got a fix for this? I have to travel next week and i do not want to lug my pc along.......neal

PS....it appears to be a problem with javascript. Many errors in loading the page.

Still need help!

Last edited:
OP
Buffy

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you find a solution for this problem? We just got an ipad and are having the same problem with Verizon webmail.
I am now using m.verizon.com

This allows me to reply and compose mail. It is a Verizon design problem.
Hope this works for you

OP
Buffy

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an Apple issue. It sounds like you got a tech at Apple that did not know what he/she was doing or at the end of their shift. Call Apple back make the tech stay on the phone with you until issue resolved. Of course you will need to have access to itunes so be prepared. If this was a Verizon issue you would not be able to do any data on you iPad. The only thing Verizon supplies to your ipad is a network connection.
I have been in contact with Verizon and it is a problem on their end. They have switched over to a new message center web site and that seems to be the problem. It is a design problem they must work out.
The mobile verizon web site does work with the ipad now. So using m.verizon.com has me able to reply and compose on my ipad.
Thank you for your input.

OP
Buffy

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had a long chat with V tech support. "not my problem" is still the official position.

Anybody got a fix for this? I have to travel next week and i do not want to lug my pc along.......neal

PS....it appears to be a problem with javascript. Many errors in loading the page.

Still need help!
Try using the verizon mobile site m.verizon.com this is what I am using now on my ipad. At least I can now reply and compose email. Test it out and you will not have to lug that laptop :)

nealfg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buffy said:
Try using the verizon mobile site m.verizon.com this is what I am using now on my ipad. At least I can now reply and compose email. Test it out and you will not have to lug that laptop :)

Opera mini also works on the ipad. A bit crude and simplstic, but a work around for now.

Thanks for the tip. Will try it tomorrow...........neal

appledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone. those of you using m.verizon.com, I have a question. Are you setting up your Verizon account as an Exchange account or using the "other" option in the "add new mail account" section?

thanks

OP
Buffy

Buffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone. those of you using m.verizon.com, I have a question. Are you setting up your Verizon account as an Exchange account or using the "other" option in the "add new mail account" section?

thanks

I did not have to "add new mail" when I started using m.verizon.com on my ipad since I had set up the account a long time ago. Sorry I do not remember how I set up way back:( I am sure someone will have an answer for you.

nealfg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I access my verizon account only over the web. I do not download any files to my iPad.

now using the mobil web side at verizon. however, still unable to scroll to the right to see a full message. Bummer. But can reply now.

same for iphone.

back to the pc..........neal

appledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, sorry to hear that. using MAIL on the iPad is pure genius. you can scroll however you like, pinch and zoom, forward, save, etc. it's remarkable. the only trouble is sending mail out through their smtp because Verizon is such a secure company they only want people sending mail from their home accounts so they can track spam.

Most reactions