What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon Store 3G Help FAIL

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the iPad 2 at my local Verizon store last week. Two nights ago, I decided to activate the 3G just to try it out for a month so signed up for the lowest plan. Got a confirmation via e-mail AND the charge has been made to my credit card. However, I've not been able to activate it.

When I go through the process, I get to a certain point and get a message to "reprovision" the account by going to the Settings> Reset> Subscription Services> Reprovision. When I do that (while connected via wifi) nothing happens. Nothing at all. There was a phone number displayed in the window that told me to go through this process to call in the event that it doesn't work.

Well, since I work 3 blocks from the local store, I just chose to stop by instead. The woman who helped me didn't know what to do (I had hoped that they had seen this problem with other folks so would be able to help really quickly). So, after showing her what happens (or doesn't happen, actually), she called the number provided and got a Verizon tech who knew absolutely nothing about the iPad 3G service and transferred her to another department.

This tech really didn't have a clue either but tried to help. She told us to do a hard reset by removing the battary (duh - not possible). Then she asked what my cell number was (Umm, I'm not a verizon phone customer), then she asked if I'd received a text message - umm, how could I recieve a text message when I can't even turn on the cell service? Well, finally, she got frustrated enough that she actually hung up on the woman helping me! I didn't have time to stick around on my lunch break so took off and will be calling their main customer service number tonight from home (I don't have wifi service at work, so can't trouble shoot from here).

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Has anyone else had this problem and know what I need to do to fix it? Thanks!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love verizon but customer service depends on location. Try another store. The store closest to me has terrible service, but a verizon kiosk in bj's warehouse ( like SAM's) has the best customer service of any store I have been to in my life. I dropped my phone (so it was my fault) and my phone was out of warranty and they gave me a new one free and they waved the activation fee. Just depends on the person and if they are having a good day. But of course the iPad is new so you are going to get responses like "take out the battery" and "what is your number?". So just try a different store.

OP
P

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That wasn't the store that had those suggestions to take out the battery - it was their corporate technical customer service! The rep helping me at the store knew better and had to tell them that it could not be removed. I'm not really frustrated with the store, as they only found out on Thursday that they would even have supplies of the iPad 2 in stock for sale. I'm frustrated that their corporate didn't have a clue but I'll be calling them later tonight to try again. There are not very many Verizon stores in the area so I'll be trying that before hitting up a store again. However, my hope was that someone here had the answer to the issue. Thanks.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pennicat said:
That wasn't the store that had those suggestions to take out the battery - it was their corporate technical customer service! The rep helping me at the store knew better and had to tell them that it could not be removed. I'm not really frustrated with the store, as they only found out on Thursday that they would even have supplies of the iPad 2 in stock for sale. I'm frustrated that their corporate didn't have a clue but I'll be calling them later tonight to try again. There are not very many Verizon stores in the area so I'll be trying that before hitting up a store again. However, my hope was that someone here had the answer to the issue. Thanks.

Don't give up yet! Wait for more responses! But get verizon to give you your money back for the data plan. You shouldn't have to pay for it if you can't use it. This is the second product apple has put on verizon so there will be bugs.

OP
P

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can be assured that once I get it working, I'll be requesting they extend the plan by the number of days that I haven't been able to use it!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pennicat said:
You can be assured that once I get it working, I'll be requesting they extend the plan by the number of days that I haven't been able to use it!

Thats a better idea!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I can't vouch for Verizon, but I know that I can't change look at, or update my AT&T plan unless I have 3G turned on. Go to Settings, Cellular Data, turn on 3G and tap on View Account (or whatever it says) right there.

If that's not how Verizon is set up, I apologize, but it's the best I can do. Unless you want to send me a Verizon iPad to play with. I'd be happy to figure it out then. :D

OP
P

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the first thing I did, and that's where this is happening. I use the username and password that I registered with Verizon when I set up and paid for the account. Then I get the message to do this "reprovisioning" that's not working. Also, I have to have a wifi connect to get this far - if I have it turned off, I don't even get the option to enter my login credentials.

Reaction score
2 things;a friend of mine is a Verizon store manager and stated they were trained to turn ALL Apple related issues over to Apple. Second did you try activating over 3g vs wifi? To activate my hot spot I had to actually use IT to get to the Verizon website to activate it's usage. Until I did that I basically payed $20 for nothing

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's the first thing I did, and that's where this is happening. I use the username and password that I registered with Verizon when I set up and paid for the account. Then I get the message to do this "reprovisioning" that's not working. Also, I have to have a wifi connect to get this far - if I have it turned off, I don't even get the option to enter my login credentials.

Darn. I had a feeling that I wasn't being helpful, but I had to try. Hope you get it resolved soon.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I can't vouch for Verizon, but I know that I can't change look at, or update my AT&T plan unless I have 3G turned on. Go to Settings, Cellular Data, turn on 3G and tap on View Account (or whatever it says) right there.

Really? I can access mine using wifi. Strange....

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I don't know if this got solved yet but, I had the same problem and this it what worked for me. I called Verizon and the guy who helped me was very good. He told me to try to log on to my Verizon account without wi-fi on first. That didn't work so, he had me just restart the Ipad and, after that it worked. It didn't find the Verizon signal right away, it took about 30 seconds.

The crazy thing is, in the process of doing this, I solved another problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Really? I can access mine using wifi. Strange....

I thought so too, but whenever I've tried to view my account it's always failed unless I have cellular turned on. Could just be a coincidence.

Then again, just tried it again, three times. I get:

The device information was not received.
Please close the page and reopen View Account. (USIM9997)​

Then I turn on the Cellular Data switch and try, and it asks for my logon information.

Anyway, getting off topic for the thread. If I ever decide it's a problem I'll a make a post about it.

Most reactions

Latest posts