What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERIZON or AT&T

bcilia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a new iPad 2. I live in Westchester County NY. I have a Verizon iPad but frankly wonder if if should have gone with AT&T.

I don't really care about intl. coverage. I have to decide by this Saturday if I want to exchange.

Which is the better carrier for coverage and reliability?

Thanks!!

Bob

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a crummy connection and slow speeds, or are you just randomly wondering?

Wherever you use your iPad most, ask iPad users nearby. Coverage maps and random iPad owners all over the country and world on this forum won't know coverage where you are. Even in specific cities, coverage can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, street to street, at times.

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Bob, do you have an iPhone, and if so, how is the coverage with whatever carrier you have, also how is the coverage with whatever phone you have?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Bob, do you have an iPhone, and if so, how is the coverage with whatever carrier you have, also how is the coverage with whatever phone you have?

The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The coverage between phone and data can vary greatly. In the three major metros that I spend the most time in on both coasts, my AT&T iPhone coverage sucks. Meanwhile, my AT&T iPad coverage is good. (If I didn't use my phone heavily overseas, I would ditch the AT&T iPhone.)

Basically, data coverage and phone coverage aren't on par, even from the same carrier.

Huh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've personally found that the data and phone coverages are pretty on par, I mean it's the same 3G hardware and if your signal strength is the same, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be getting very similar service.

I don't think I've ever seen a difference in more than 1 bar between my phone and iPad.

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
or you could take the wifi only route if you have a phone with hot spot capabilities. I wasn't giving Verizon another contract so I just got a Droid Charge and the 4G hot spot is blazing fast with the iPad. Even 3G is ok but 4G is just insane. Not trying to hijack the thread just throwing out another option.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Huh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I've personally found that the data and phone coverages are pretty on par, I mean it's the same 3G hardware and if your signal strength is the same, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be getting very similar service.

I don't think I've ever seen a difference in more than 1 bar between my phone and iPad.

I don't bother looking at bars. All I need is to know how many of my calls get dropped on iPhone in the same cities where my iPad 3G connection works fine.

Like I said, depends on where you live / use you gadgets most. Your experience doesn't reflect mine, because our locations are different.

Last edited:

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the 'bars' analog indicator is nearly meaningless. What I use as an indicator is whether the device is in 3G or 1x or no signal at all. I live in a Boston suburb and work in Boston. I have a work-issued Blackberry on AT&T and a bunch of devices on Verizon. There is no meaningful difference overall - both have large coverage gaps in the areas outside downtown Boston where I spend a lot of time. Coverage, like politics and real estate, is inherently local.

I don't bother looking at bars. All I need is to know how many of my calls get dropped on iPhone in the same cities where my iPad 3G connection works fine.

Like I said, depends on where you live / use you gadgets most. Your experience doesn't reflect mine, because our locations are different.

Most reactions