What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the "less than or equal to" symbol in a spreadsheet

fireant222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to create a spreadsheet in Numbers. One of the equations calls for the "less than or equal to..." symbol.

Every time I try to enter it I get the error button (exclamation point on red triangle".)

Can someone help me by explaining how to format is cell to receive this symbol?

Thanks,
Kenneth

OP
F

fireant222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, either. The spreadsheet will not accept it in the cell when I use the Numbers app. It just gives me an error message.

For example, if I were to type "<= 30" into a cell under a column heading called "Limits" I would get an error message, usually prefacing a syntax error.

I would get the same syntax error if I were to use the correct symbol as well.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes, the error is in another part of the logic statement. Did you check that too?

OP
F

fireant222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The spreadsheet calls for 3 columns, an X column with a quantity in it, a Y column with a quantity in it, and a limits column with a quantity limit in it.

Are you saying that I may have to type the entire equation in the cell to get it to accept the symbol? Example, 5x -4y <= 30

?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm saying that the logic statement has to be correctly give ... like if(x<=y,true,false). That kind of thing. If the logic is true, what happens, and if it is false, what then. At least that's my experience ...

OP
F

fireant222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea. You're right. I guess I thought there was an option to simply type it in as separate characters.

Thanks. I guess I should have just done that from the beginning.

Ken

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't used numbers but you might try an if statement

=IF(A1+B1 <=30,whatever you want if less than or equal to,what you want if greater than)

For instance, if you want to see the answer if it is less than or equal to 30 and a blank if greater than it would look something like this ill use sum instead of adding here

=IF(SUM(A1,B1) <= 30,SUM(A1,B1),"")

Most reactions

Latest posts