What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using new ipad and old ipad for facetime

priop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
got everything transferred over to new pad and found out i can set the old pad facetime to use just my email and not my phone number so we can give it to the grandkids to use for facetime.is there a way to delete everything on old pad and just be able to setup facetime with my email?thanks for any help

OP
P

priop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so that can be done without a sim card?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Without a SIM card FaceTime will only work when the iPad is connected to a wi-fi network.

If you want the iPad to work on your cellular plan, you'll need to leave the SIM card in, and the account active with your cellular provider. Your Apple ID is not necessary. The iPad and FaceTime will work with any Apple ID. The cellular network does not use it to provide service. So, you can have the grandkids (or their parents) set up an Apple ID for the iPad, and assign it any email address they like. It would probably be easiest to use the email associated with the new Apple ID.

This would also let them use and control the iPad for other things. If it's new enough to run the current version of iPadOS (or fairly recent) they can so use the parental controls, if needed.

You would still need to pay for and monitor the cellular plan and its data usage.

OP
P

priop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so as long as they are connected to their home or any other wifi it will work without a sim?

Most reactions