What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Moto Droid to Tether iPad

explosions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know there are a few threads similar to this that I have been looking through, but none of them have solved my issue.
I got my iPad 32 wifi last night and am having trouble tethering it with my Droid (running 2.2.1 & rooted).
I've tried using Wireless Tether and Barnacle.
I heard that Wireless Tether won't work with the default ROM. But it says on the Barnacle site that it will work with the default ROM.
My iPad finds the network fine, but when I go in a browser or something, it says its not connected to the internet.

Any advice or something I can try?
It's kinda bumming me out because I didn't get the 3G one specifically so I could tether.

Thanks.

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not too familiar with rooting but mine is running cyanogen and works great with wireless tether from the get go.

OP
E

explosions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not too familiar with rooting but mine is running cyanogen and works great with wireless tether from the get go.

I know this is off topic, but could you direct me to a tutorial to get Cyanogen installed? Rooting was no problem, but I'm not familiar with installing ROMs.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know there are a few threads similar to this that I have been looking through, but none of them have solved my issue.
I got my iPad 32 wifi last night and am having trouble tethering it with my Droid (running 2.2.1 & rooted).
I've tried using Wireless Tether and Barnacle.
I heard that Wireless Tether won't work with the default ROM. But it says on the Barnacle site that it will work with the default ROM.
My iPad finds the network fine, but when I go in a browser or something, it says its not connected to the internet.

Any advice or something I can try?
It's kinda bumming me out because I didn't get the 3G one specifically so I could tether.

Thanks.
This is my problem exactly! I, too, have wireless tether and barnacle and both will show on the iPad but neither will connect me to the Internet. I.m going to try to find cyanogen. If you have success, please post it and so will I.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have droid x and using wireless tether to my iPad wifi......I could connect when I locked the android tether but when I don't lock it I can connect fine....in your super user icon click it and make sure wireless tether app has green light beside it, open wireless tether app too and turn off enable access control

Digital Analogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

johnnyvol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found with my Droid 1 running UD that the kernals are the key. Try a few different kernals and see if that helps.

OP
E

explosions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after finally getting Cyanogenmod up and running properly, the tethering seems to be working. It wouldn't work with Barnacle for some reason, but Wireless Tether seems to be working for the most part.

Thanks for the replies

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you get cyanogenmod? I found a website but no way to download. And what exactly IS cyanogen? I saw that it is a ROM, but I don't understand what that is in that respect. It used to mean Read Only Memory, but I think that if I knew what it was and what it did, I'd have a better chance of dealing with it.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless tether works fine with the stock rom. But you have to be rooted. Sister forums, droidfourms.net has a hacker section to walk you through it. Barnacle works fine without root but can be a hassle to set up...email the developer...he is very responsive.

Once one of those is working properly you can connect the iPad through the wireless settings. But the default in the iPad will be to not auto connect. F
Ip that switch and it will then grab the dns settings it needs to make the complete Internet connection. Otherwise it jet gets an ip and doesn't know what to do after that.

I am connected to a rooted moto Droid running stock fray rom right now. Let's see if this post shows up.

Nate

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is a kernel? I know that is a newby question and I'll most likely get lots of condescending remarks, but if I'm going to become a hacker LOL and tether my iPad, I have to know these things.

OP
E

explosions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you get cyanogenmod? I found a website but no way to download. And what exactly IS cyanogen? I saw that it is a ROM, but I don't understand what that is in that respect. It used to mean Read Only Memory, but I think that if I knew what it was and what it did, I'd have a better chance of dealing with it.

In simplest terms, its just basically a different theme.
I used this tutorial. It was pretty easy.
Just look around their site and the wiki and it will explain it better.

Wireless tether works fine with the stock rom. But you have to be rooted.

I was rooted, but it wouldn't work for some reason.

Do I install cyanogenmod on the Droid or iPad?

Droid.

Most reactions

Latest posts