What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using ipad2 for dj equipment

jrb1260

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can my iPad 2 be used as dj equpment with an app? Can i just download a dj app and connect powered dj speakers to it and I'm good? If so what wires and connections would I need? Or do I need additional dj equipment?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen people use ipad to dj, there are many apps available.
Do a search in the app store and see what you can get. For the hardcore DJs, they use apps that hook directly into their equipment and control it.

Padfader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several apps you can use to DJ with your iPad.

Look on the app store for:

Mixr
DJay
Meta.DJ
iDJ
DJ Player 4

THese apps can all handle mixing, cross fading, changing the pitch of tracks and give control over bass/middle/treble for both tracks. Some also have the facility to create on-the-fly loops and include effects like delay, beat-repeat and reverb.

The main obstacle to DJing with your iPad is being able to "cue" - pre-listening to the incoming track while another track is playing out over the speakers. The iPad only has one stereo output, but this can be solved with the use of a DJ specific cable like the "Griffin DJ cable for iOS device" and signal routing handled by the app that sends the left deck to the left audio channel, and the right deck to the right audio channel, giving you two mono outputs so you can send one channel your headphones and one to the speakers.

If you want to get more technical, you can use a MIDI controller app like Lemur, Touch OSC or Touchable on your iPad to control more grown up software like Traktor or Ableton running on a laptop. For this you'll need a MIDI interface like IK Multimedia's "iRig MIDI", and an external soundcard for your laptop.

If you Google my username you'll find a blog dedicated to iPad DJ, MIDI Controller and music production apps for iPad.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts