What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using IPad 2 in Italy...

IPad2Newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the new IPad 2 on launch day, and will be traveling to Abellino, Italy in August on holiday. What steps do I need to take to ensure I'll be able to use my IPad while I'm abroad? Any help I can get would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the new IPad 2 on launch day, and will be traveling to Abellino, Italy in August on holiday. What steps do I need to take to ensure I'll be able to use my IPad while I'm abroad? Any help I can get would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!

Make sure you get an international power adaptor so that you can hook your iPad up to the power outlet in Italy. There's no problem with the different voltage - the charger itself works just fine in any country in the world, you just need the 'detachable' plug that fits on to the charger and enables it to be plugged into the wall outlet. You can buy these adaptors before you go at any Apple Store. The iPad2 uses the same charger as the iPad1 so you can get that right away.

You don't say whether you intend to get a 3G or WiFi only model. If you do decide to go 3G then you'll need to be concerned about roaming charges. So it would be better to buy a pre-paid microSIM in Italy when you arrive. Also, in Europe, it's the GSM 3G standard that is universal, CDMA is not supported. But you'll find that WiFi hotspots are *very* widespread - malls, restaurants, motels, hotels, coffee shops, franchises, public buildings, public transport - trains and some buses even. So, unless you plan a lot of time in a rural area, you'd probably find that WiFi coverage would be adequate - a lot of it free.

Enjoy your iPad2 and I hope you enjoy your vacation in Italy too.

Tim
Scotland

dweissco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 International roaming

Has the EU changed the rules? Last year in Europe, I could't connect via 3G due to some legislation that providers must warn users prior to connecting. I am traveling from the Us to Italy and then France and want to use 3G where there's not wifi and hope I can. I know I need to to obtain ATT International deal.

Any advice?

Most reactions