What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iFile to get mp3s from USB Stick to iPod app

Orangejuice43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been looking for ages on a number of different forums and there seems to be quite a few people with this question but nobody with an answer that works.

I wonder if there is a way to transfer mp3 files from a USB stick to the iPod app. It isnt possible with iFile as far as i can see because the iPod app requires some sort of script to be written in order for it to 'see' the mp3 files. Has anyone been able to write an app for this or some sort of trick to get around this.

I understand it is possible to listen to the files straight from iFile, but it would be far nicer to get all of my songs in one place.

Thanks

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty sure you need iTunes to be in the middle of all file transfers if you want the stock apps to see them.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been looking for ages on a number of different forums and there seems to be quite a few people with this question but nobody with an answer that works.

I wonder if there is a way to transfer mp3 files from a USB stick to the iPod app. It isnt possible with iFile as far as i can see because the iPod app requires some sort of script to be written in order for it to 'see' the mp3 files. Has anyone been able to write an app for this or some sort of trick to get around this.

I understand it is possible to listen to the files straight from iFile, but it would be far nicer to get all of my songs in one place.

Thanks

Just put all music in one folder on ifiles..lol now its all n one place ;-)

OP
O

Orangejuice43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha thanks... You know what I mean. Would it nt be possible to bypass the need for iTunes?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha thanks... You know what I mean. Would it nt be possible to bypass the need for iTunes?

Yes, but you are talking about a huge amount of effort to duplicate what iTunes does in terms of media syncing in a new app just so you don't have to use iTunes. You then run the risk that it will break with every new iTunes / IOS release as Apple are always changing / "improving" the way things work under the covers.

Whilst you might think it is cool, or even convenient, to not use iTunes to sync your music (I would argue strongly that any alternative would certainly be no more convenient or efficent for at least the first few major versions) IMHO the investment required to develop would far outweigh portential benefits...

Look at the history of something like dTunes for example...

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, but you are talking about a huge amount of effort to duplicate what iTunes does in terms of media syncing in a new app just so you don't have to use iTunes. You then run the risk that it will break with every new iTunes / IOS release as Apple are always changing / "improving" the way things work under the covers.

Whilst you might think it is cool, or even convenient, to not use iTunes to sync your music (I would argue strongly that any alternative would certainly be no more convenient or efficent for at least the first few major versions) IMHO the investment required to develop would far outweigh portential benefits...

Look at the history of something like dTunes for example...

I could never get dtunes to wrk on my Jailvroken ipad. Deleted! Lol

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem was solved ages ago by a little known cydia app called mewseek pro. I still use it every day to add songs to my ipod app on the fly. I am such a fan in fact, I registered here just to tell you about it. Fast, flawless, and about 10$

mewseek dot net

Last edited:

Most reactions