What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using GPS without WiFi

Cardinal Pilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was under the impression that GPS (Maps) would work even if you did not have a WiFi connection. I have a 3G iPad2 and have tried to open maps to use the GPS function when out of range of WiFi but it did not work. I have not activated my AT&T 3G capability.

Or is there a different app needed to do what I am attempting?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was under the impression that GPS (Maps) would work even if you did not have a WiFi connection. I have a 3G iPad2 and have tried to open maps to use the GPS function when out of range of WiFi but it did not work. I have not activated my AT&T 3G capability.

Or is there a different app needed to do what I am attempting?

Therein lies the problem. The GPS function works just fine without WiFi or 3G ---- but ---- the iPad's native Maps app dynamically downloads the maps from Google, so you need an Internet connection to be able to see the maps in the Maps apps. However, there are many third-party navigation/mapping apps that download the maps when the app is installed. Those don't need an Internet connection to be able to display the maps and it will then work just fine.....

Tim

Most reactions