What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using GoodReaderUSB

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So thanks to this great forum I've just discovered GoodReaderUSB. When this program is installed on a PC or mac you are able to drag-and-drop files back and forth between iPad and computer without using iTunes at all. Huzzah!

A question. I have never connected my iPad except to my own mac (not even to either of my PCs). I guess what I'm worried about is this:

I connect my iPad to an unknown computer that is set up to automatically sync as soon as an iDevice is connected. Bing bang boom, 30 seconds later all my files and apps are gone, replaced by 100 Nickelback songs.

Is this a possible scenario?

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a possible scenario?

Yes this scenario is possible.

I would recommend syncing the iPad with one computer and one computer only.

If you simply MUST sync with a computer that isn`t already synced with your iPad just be sure to stop the auto-sync that starts upon connection so you can sync manually in iTunes and avoid losing your contacts while gaining 500 Nickleback tunes.

:)

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would recommend syncing the iPad with one computer and one computer only.

If you simply MUST sync with a computer that isn`t already synced with your iPad just be sure to stop the auto-sync that starts upon connection so you can sync manually in iTunes and avoid losing your contacts while gaining 500 Nickleback tunes.
:)
But this is the beauty of GoodReadeUSB, it aint syncing!

I guess if I want to avoid unintentional syncing I've just got to check out the computer first to see whether it even has iTunes installed. If it does, then check that automatic syncing isn't enabled.

I'm doing all this because of how useful it will be to me at work, where there are many desktops, no wireless, and unreliable internet access.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't worry, there are several layers of 'are you sure you want to delete all your stuff' before anything bad happens.

I have used GoodReaderUSB on about five different computers so far. I keep both the Mac and PC versions on a USB stick.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be fine. Just don't let iTunes even start on the different PC/Mac and you'll be good to go (you may have to uncheck the "start iTunes when a device is detected" box...).

Prett cool little program, innit?

Marilyn

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You got something against Nickelback???

nickelback.jpg

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I keep both the Mac and PC versions on a USB stick.
That's what I'm going to do. Now, do I

a) insert stick, double click exe (while it's still on the stick) then remove stick and connect iPad (when connecting to PC with only one available USB port)

or

b) insert stick, double click exe (while it's still on the stick) then connect iPad via spare USB port

or

c) insert stick, copy exe to computer, double-click on it and now that computer "mine" forever.

I'm pretty sure it's (c), but wondering how to do this on computers where installing software is not immediately (or ever) allowed.

And yes, I'm afraid I do have something against NB. :p

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I'm finding Mac versions and all sorts of other downloads (games, clean yer PC, etc., etc.) on the same pages, but no GoodreaderUSB for the PC. Can someone offer a definite link?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now do I:

a) insert stick, double click exe (while it's still on the stick) then remove stick and connect iPad (when connecting to PC with only one available USB port)
b) insert stick, double click exe (while it's still on the stick) then connect iPad via spare USB port
c) insert stick, copy exe to computer, double-click on it and now that computer "mine" forever.

I'm pretty sure it's (c), but wondering how to do this on computers where installing software is not immediately (or ever) allowed.

You don't want to do (a). That's 'cause the .exe file is running off of that stick and you won't be able to (safely) remove it from the system. Or, at least my Windows 7 machine says "This device currently in use. Close any programs..." blah, blah, blah. I should imagine that, at least, you'd crash the GoodReaderUSB.exe file. At worst, you might fry your flash drive trying to remove it without properly ejecting it.

You can do (b) if you have two USB ports (one for your stick, one for the iPad cable). That way, you are not installing anything on the computer. 'Cause, once you are done mucking about, you close the .exe file, eject your flash drive and walk away. Nothing is left on the computer behind you.

You can also do (c), though not with, as you pointed out, systems that IT folk have locked down or don't want you installing stray programs on.

Your best bet is (b) - again, so long as you have two ports.

Marilyn

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Begorrah! That's a bit of a spanner in the works! Thanks for the tip. Do you know how recent the version of iTunes has to be?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com

johnnypanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also need to be aware that goodreaderusb will not work if Itunes is not installed on the pc.

Ack! How'd I miss that part (sees dream of using iPad in college computer labs float away.....).

Drat.

Aw well, there's still Dropbox...

Marilyn

Yes it's a real downer :(

Regarding the version of Itunes, I'm afraid I don't know, as I installed the latest version and haven't tried earlier versions.

Most reactions