What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Dropbox

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am running out of space, and to transfer my photos one by one to IOS/Google is going to be a nightmare. Now that J.A. Has told me how to batch delete from photos, does anyone have any idea, how to transfer transfer lots at one time, either to Google or photos.
Thanks in Advance
Have a nice weekend

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use Google Photos, images in your Photos app (Photos album) will load to the app automatically. Either in the background, if you prefer this, or every time you open the app. All you have to do, is wait until it has finished loading, in case you don't want the app running in the background.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am running out of space, and to transfer my photos one by one to IOS/Google is going to be a nightmare. Now that J.A. Has told me how to batch delete from photos, does anyone have any idea, how to transfer transfer lots at one time, either to Google or photos....

Hi BB - assume that you're running out of space on your iPad (how much storage do you have?) - now I've not used Google for photo storage nor Apple's iCloud offerings - also, I'm assuming by 'or photos' above that you mean the Photos app on a computer (Mac or PC) - correct? If so, then take a look at my post HERE which offers numerous ways to transfer photos between iDevices and computers.

Also, there are two apps (which cost $) which have improved over the years that offer an assortment of file management between these two platforms: 1) iExplorer; and 2) iMazing - I own both which require cabling between your iPad and computer. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 10.59.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 11.00.06 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry don't think l explained my question very well, will
try again. Running out of space on Dropbox and would really like to close my account.
I know how to transfer the photos one by to photos then Google, thanks to J.A.
What l with to know now is there an easy way to bulk transfer from Dropbox to photos? Or is one the only way.
Thanks in Advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The final destination for you photos is Google Photos, yes?

In that case it would be easier to use a computer than the iPad, if you have access to a computer. Once the photos are in Google Photos, they would sync back to the iPad's Google Photos app.

If you want the photos in the Photos app on the iPad, that would probably be easier with a computer as well; copy to the computer than use one of several methods to transfer themn to the iPad.

An iPad only solution would be to use Workflow. I cobbled together a quick workflow and transfered 117 photos from my DropBox account to an album in Photos. Took about 5 minutes. I'm not sure how well it would hold up for thousands of photos.

Image.jpeg

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that, you understand me correctly l wish to use Google photos. Want l with to know is using my iPad can l bulk transfer photos from Dropbox to to photos. Sorry to be so long winded about it. I would rather not get involved in another app thanks in advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I poked around a little, and it looks like Google Photos has a way of importing directly from DropBox via the web site.

Go to Google Photos in Safari, don't let it redirect you to the app. Delete the app temporarily if you have to. Any photos you already have in Google Photos should be safe, since they are stored online. If you are not sure, check them out via the website before deleting the app (again, only delete the app if you can't get to the site with it installed).

Choose Upload and then DropBox from the menu.

Since I don't want to do this, that's as far as I got. You'll probably have to athenticate with DropBox, and possibly select a folder. From there it should be automatic.

Once the upload is done, Google Photo app should start syncing with the online library the next time you open it. I'm not sure what the settings are, but if you don't want a lot of photos stored locally on the iPad make sure you choose wisely. For instance, the Photos app (when used with iCloud Photo Library) has two modes. One where it optimizes the photo library to save space, and the other where it keeps full sized photos on the device. I suspect Google Photos has a similar setting.

Good luck.

Image.jpeg

Note: if you can't get to the Google Photos site because it keeps redirecting you to the app, you can try a different browser (like Chrome) and see if it works better. I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem, since I don't have the app installed; but it's been known to happen with YouTube and a few other sites that have supported apps.

Last edited:
OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for all your efforts BB.
Very nervous about doing something that doesn't have a confirmed solution. I think will backup from PC to Card just in case. Might need a few. Though

woesong01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running out of space, and to transfer my photos one by one to IOS/Google is going to be a nightmare.

I became suspicious of Dropbox. Very soon after I signed on I began receiving the tell-tale out-of-space warnings with nudges towards the pay option. Then I looked at my gallery there and found lots of duplicates. And then I discovered that Google and Amazon will take my photos and store all I need stored for free.

Easy choice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for all your efforts BB.
Very nervous about doing something that doesn't have a confirmed solution. I think will backup from PC to Card just in case. Might need a few. Though

No problem. Keep in mind that nothing I suggested deletes your photos from DropBox. If the web solution does not work, you can always try again with nothing lost but time and whatever patiences you've expended.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry been busy these past few days. Not tried anything yet. The PC is looking at me.
When l look at Dropbox on the iPad l can see an option to put back all the photos, files etc. I have so far deleted. So time for now is on my side.
Unless l get run over by a lorry, or Jacqueline (my car) gets crushed.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scifan likes it as usual l suspected he would nasty man

He needs photos for the shot of the day:)

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Spent a few hours tonight using the slow method, now l can't remember how to check on Google photos how much space l have free, they seem to be always making add ons l just can't find it. Help please Bitte

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Google Photos offers unlimited storage of photos up to a maximum size/resolution of the photos. You can also store photos over this size, but it counts agains't Google storage limits. If the pictures you are uploading to Google Photos are larger than the free size, then you have the option to automatically optimize them so that they don't count agains't your limit.

According to this Wikipedia article the maximum size for photos is 16 MP, and 1080p for video.

For reference, the iPhone 7s (which has the largest iOS camera) is only 12 MP. However it can take 4K video (much larger than 1080p). So, depending on your device you probably don't need to worry about picture size and storage limits, but you may have to worry about any videos.

Of course, if you took the photos using a more capable camera, then you need to consider your size limits in that context.

Google Photos - Wikipedia

Most reactions

Latest posts