What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using an iPhone 4 for remote control of IPad2

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlay is an amazing program that I can actually play stored videos on my computer. Remotely via wifi on a trip in a hotel room or coffee shop.

It's all good but was wondering:

Is there an app that can remote control the iPad so I can scroll through videos, stop videos, fast forward videos, and etc?

Ipad2 hooked to HDMI cable to LED TV

Any help appreciated....

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, ive been looking for something like this as well. Hopefully someone knows of an app

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out tunesremote. I was looking for a similar solution and found it the other week. I never tried it but looks like it could work.

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great for controlling music but I need it to control video

hjsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is exaclt what I need. I want to use the iPad as a rear seat entertainment center and use my phone to control the playing content.

Kabona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe this is what he means.......except he want to contoll video....not a SNES emulator on a jailbroken ipad

Attachments

• image-3202467996.png
    image-3202467996.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 4,161

dwd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually - i've been waiting for jailbreak on my iPad2 to enable this, as I want the exact same setup, to control my iPad2 that's connected to a tv over HDMI remotely(cuz holding a ipad2 connected to a long arse hdmi cable draping all the way to my couch looks ugly).

To use the iphone 4 as a true remote to an iPad/iPad2 you need the VNC server and client setup. iPad2 as the VNC server, and iphone as vnc client.

If you're unfamiliar with VNC - it's basically a cross platform server/client install that enables remote desktop control. At first it was for PC OSes like Linux, windows and Mac. And it's been ported over to iOS.. this is wat you'd need(once ipad2 is jb'd!)

VNC Server - is called Veency, developed by Saurik, available on Cydia
VNC Client - lots of different VNC client apps available from the app store, the one i like is called iTeleport.

So basically once it's all setup and done, your iphone is a portable touchpad device that controls your iPad2. Perfect for the ipad2 with tv setup to watch movies, or browsing.. etc. With iPad2's hdmi out adapter, it's pretty close to a HTPC!

just need the vital piece - jailbreak! and then we're goold!

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPlay is an amazing program that I can actually play stored videos on my computer. Remotely via wifi on a trip in a hotel room or coffee shop.

It's all good but was wondering:

Is there an app that can remote control the iPad so I can scroll through videos, stop videos, fast forward videos, and etc?

Ipad2 hooked to HDMI cable to LED TV

Any help appreciated....

For controlling music I use Tango. Awesome App. Just download to both Ipad and Iphone (you only pay for it once), hook up your iphone to your stereo system, and change songs from your ipad over wifi.

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually - i've been waiting for jailbreak on my iPad2 to enable this, as I want the exact same setup, to control my iPad2 that's connected to a tv over HDMI remotely(cuz holding a ipad2 connected to a long arse hdmi cable draping all the way to my couch looks ugly).

To use the iphone 4 as a true remote to an iPad/iPad2 you need the VNC server and client setup. iPad2 as the VNC server, and iphone as vnc client.

If you're unfamiliar with VNC - it's basically a cross platform server/client install that enables remote desktop control. At first it was for PC OSes like Linux, windows and Mac. And it's been ported over to iOS.. this is wat you'd need(once ipad2 is jb'd!)

VNC Server - is called Veency, developed by Saurik, available on Cydia
VNC Client - lots of different VNC client apps available from the app store, the one i like is called iTeleport.

So basically once it's all setup and done, your iphone is a portable touchpad device that controls your iPad2. Perfect for the ipad2 with tv setup to watch movies, or browsing.. etc. With iPad2's hdmi out adapter, it's pretty close to a HTPC!

just need the vital piece - jailbreak! and then we're goold!

This it exactly but seriously nothing in the apple app store like this? This is perfect.... It always all comes down to a Jailbreak!!!

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I contacted VNC about this and here is the question and reply:

On 30/04/2011 15:15, [email protected] wrote:
> Name: Scott
> Email: [email protected]
> Version: 1.4
> Enquiry: Hello,
> I haven't bought this software yet but I had a question. Can you use
> it to remotely control your ipad 2 from an ipod touch? If so
> great! If not, is this something that will be coming? Thanks.

VNC:
Currently you cannot perform this but we are looking in to for a future release

Sounds like in the future you may be able to do this without jailbreaking your device, I hope so anyway.

UniqueApp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app for that!

Hi all,

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought it appropriate as we've just released an app that does exactly what you're after.

It's called Movie Remote Kids and aimed at the parent/child market to allow kids to watch movies in the back of the car and Mum or Dad be in control on the front.

Have a look on the app store and let us know what you think?

OP
A

Argyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought it appropriate as we've just released an app that does exactly what you're after.

It's called Movie Remote Kids and aimed at the parent/child market to allow kids to watch movies in the back of the car and Mum or Dad be in control on the front.

Have a look on the app store and let us know what you think?

Looks good but I need it to work with AirPlay as I don't want want to load all the movies onto the iPad

UniqueApp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good but I need it to work with AirPlay as I don't want want to load all the movies onto the iPad

Thanks for the feedback. The market we're aiming this at is more the mobile scenario where AirPlay wouldnt be applicable. That said we're looking into all possibilities for future releases and products. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to get updates.

Thanks.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirServer - Bring AirPlay and AirTunes to your Mac

http://www.airserverapp.com/?cat=4

i think this is worth a look.
and only one device need it running.

i have it installed on my macbook air(always enabled), so on my iphone or ipad etc etc, i press the airplay tab next to play/pause, and my macbook will be listed under airplay devices.

if i have it running on my mac, ipad and apple tv, they all would show up under airplay menu, choose one and it will start playing right away.
video works good with sound. i didn't test any apps at time of this posting, although i had this for a bit...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts