What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using AirPrint with non-AirPrint printers?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I installed the AirPrint service in Windows (using command prompt of course) and got the dependencies set to use the Bonjour service. Works great on my 32 bit windows Vista at home which is NOT connected to a domain. But at work, on a 64 bit windows 7 connected to a domain I can only find my printer. If I chose that printer I get a round symbol that says it is connecting and just spins but never does anything after that.

It is either the 64 bit version of windows or the security features of domain trusts, right? Has anyone worked around this problem? I would like to be able to print to my shared printers at work. And I do not want to buy a printer that apple certified to work. That just seems silly since I have a perfectly good printer already.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, google Javox AirPrint and read up before giving advice, please.

Thanks for any help.

Nate

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Airprint service for "non supported" printers will only work with shared printers (not true networked printers). The service needs to be installed on the PC that the printer is connected to. I am guessing that at work the printer your are trying to print to is not directly connected to your work PC. In that case, I'm not sure Airprint is going to work. Here at home, I had to install the service on my Windows Home Server machine before I could print to my network printers, but in that case those printers are physically connected to that machine.

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have networked printers at work. But...the printer I am trying to set up with AirPrint service is connected to my laptop by USB. It is shared. The user I use is authorized with rights. But funny ing is, it never prompted me for a user name, password combo.

I thought I read something somewhere that said AirPrint has a problem with domains but I can't find it anymore. I really think the problem is related to domain trusts and user rights under active directory. You'd think that would have nothing to do with the local machine rights, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. Like I said earlier, I can see the printer when I chose print on the iPad but it won't go any further when I select that printer.

Cool thing is, it works great at home on the machine that is no connected as a domain. Much better quality printing than the apps I have seen in the app store.

Nate

Most reactions

Latest posts