What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Useing the Wifi in public places..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok here something i picked up on tonight at burger king when went out for a quick bite ..i went down to try out the Ipad on a public Wifi system along with to check out the storys about poor Wifi performce with the unit after reading the post here ..I did notice that where you sit at in the place depends on how strong the signal was in the room for it could be there was some form of metal units help blocking the signal stength...That was the stange part of the deal for i allways thought of Wifi as the signal stength anywhere in the room up to the second or thrid story as need for we had run up to 7 diff laptops on the cable internet connection along with a linkys router set up for use when we lived in a three story house in bay area.. ..

When sitting out in the car i pulled it out and check the signal out there and it was working like a champ with good signal and was pulling up the favorities websites right and left without a problem ..

did get a couple of question about the Ipad and was it worth it ..i showed the one old gentlemen how easly it was to work and how low tech it was someone who was not computer smart at all ..he said thank you and he would go and check one out at the store to see if he wanted one ..

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also tried alot of wifi hot spots im a truck driver. so i connect to every truck stop i go to my ipad gets da job done if i have one bar are a full set of course if its one bar i park far as possible from the building and sit in my truck i havent been home to try it on my personal wifi but i cant wait i also use wifi at buffalo wild wings worked perfect and apple should give me a job da way i promote there product and i refer everyone here if they wanna learn more about an ipad :D

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iam sitting here in my front room playing around on the ipad and makeing sure the website i have bookmarked are comeing up.. i am getting someone Wifi signal here in the apts ..someone is running a open Wifi set up and i am picking up on it right now and running on it right now ..

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also tried alot of wifi hot spots im a truck driver. so i connect to every truck stop i go to my ipad gets da job done if i have one bar are a full set of course if its one bar i park far as possible from the building and sit in my truck i havent been home to try it on my personal wifi but i cant wait i also use wifi at buffalo wild wings worked perfect and apple should give me a job da way i promote there product and i refer everyone here if they wanna learn more about an ipad :D

Rob soon i will have a products for you , i will send you one for get you're review :)

iVegas702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am at the hospital right now in the waiting room. My wife is having surgery today and the wifi is working great. I will see how long the bettery holds out.

alxs210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right next to my router I get one bar and when I am in my room far far away I get three bars. wtf?! I don't get it.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one is saying that WIFI does not work on the Ipad - Folks are saying and from my testing it's true that Ipad in general may not be as strong as other devices for picking up the wifi signal.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one is saying that WIFI does not work on the Ipad - Folks are saying and from my testing it's true that Ipad in general may not be as strong as other devices for picking up the wifi signal.

My bad, I think I've been reading too many threads about people complaining of WiFi not working. :eek:

For mine, it doesn't appear any better or worse than my iPhone/Droid but I wouldn't be shocked if there is some kind of issue.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Testing my iPad down by the pool... I could not find my home network upstairs. However I never have a problem accessing my home network on my iPhone in the same location. So it is true (at least in my case) that the iPad has a harder time detecting and latching on to signals. I've even got my router signal boosted (had to do that so it could reach my phone down by the pool). So I had to resort to wirelessly tethering it to my iPhone which worked fine. It would be nice to not have to do that down by the pool though... to save juice on my phone when I don't really need to be using it.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep - probably has to do with antenna placement and or other variables within the Ipad form factor. If Apple feels this is a big enough issue (IE - lost sales/revenue) they will most likely address it in Gen2.

Would I like better wifi signal/reception out of the Ipad - Sure - but this is one of those first gen/early adopter things that are inevitable.

This may be another reason for going 3G -- In my case I already have my 3G (MiFi) which IMO is superior to the built in 3G due mostly to spotty coverage of ATT 3G in the areas that I B travel.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got 15 minutes to kill. Sitting here at a panera, but decided to sit in a booth in back to avoid having to waste my free time having to be a product evanglisist.

Wireless connection is great here, btw.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking forward to Panera this winter. My daughter and I go there on Sat morning to do work-she does homework and I do all of my reviews, planning and emails for the week. I have never had any issues with signal strength at any Panera.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of it will depend upon what type of house / building you are in. If you are in a stucco house popular in the southwest and west coast - well stucco is mortar smeared over chicken wire - and signals don't get through. You could get a router booster and hang one out the window. If your router has external antennas then you should try pointing one vertically and one horizontally - that sometimes helps.

I also understand that you have 2 weeks to return your iPad (costs you about $50 restocking fee) and then you could pick up a 3G and not have to worry about it. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts