What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used iPad and previous owner's appel I'd

Hornet190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to sure if this question is posted in the right place, if not my appologies. I recently purchased a used iPad, but I can't seem to update any of the apps, as I don't have the previous owners password. Is there any way of getting around this without loosing the apps?

OP
H

Hornet190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid not, the apps belong to the Owner of the Apple ID not the owner of the iPad.

The Archangel

No problem with that, how do I get rid of the "old apps"! Problem is, I want to use some of the apps as well, but although I sign in under my Own ID and password, it keeps on asking me the password of the previous owner. I understand that if they were purchased by him, the app "belong" to him, but what about the "free apps" I.e Easy Sign, I really want to use this app, but the upgrade keeps on asking for the previous owners details.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hornet190 said:
No problem with that, how do I get rid of the "old apps"! Problem is, I want to use some of the apps as well, but although I sign in under my I'd and password, it keeps on asking me the password of the previous owner

Personally speaking, the best thing that you could do is make a note of the relevant apps that you want then restore your iPad to an as new state, yes, you'll have to buy those apps again but they will be yours to keep and you will be able to update them.

The Archangel

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah. you must restore and set up as new. if you were to use the apps that somebody else bought, it would be considered piracy or stealing. which isnt allowed here.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just open the app store and look at the updates section.

Click on Update all apps.

When asked for your own password, enter it.

When asked for password of the previous owners account just hit cancel.

You should now be left with a list of apps in the update section of the app store, these are all the apps purchased buy the previous owner of the iPad and those are the apps you should delete from the iPad to get it to stop asking for the previous users login password.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really. Sounds like the poster has bought an item in good faith, and it "just happens" to have apps on it that have been bought by someone else. At this point no crime has been committed, so there is no piracy or theft.

Best advice, though, is restore the thing and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hornet190 said:
No problem with that, how do I get rid of the "old apps"! Problem is, I want to use some of the apps as well, but although I sign in under my Own ID and password, it keeps on asking me the password of the previous owner. I understand that if they were purchased by him, the app "belong" to him, but what about the "free apps" I.e Easy Sign, I really want to use this app, but the upgrade keeps on asking for the previous owners details.

All apps, including free apps are linked to the users Apple ID, but as they are free you won't be losing anything if you download them yourself.

The Archangel

OP
H

Hornet190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Not really. Sounds like the poster has bought an item in good faith, and it "just happens" to have apps on it that have been bought by someone else. At this point no crime has been committed, so there is no piracy or theft.

Best advice, though, is restore the thing and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Yeah I hear you about the piracy thing, but I bought the iPad from my broker, whom is a very good friend of mine, so everything is on the up and up. The problem is he'll be getting his new iPad soon, thus will need "his" software. I was hoping there was a way of "resetting" all the apps without actually restoring the unit to its original state, but it seems like that will be the only way of getting rid of the previous owner's details :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hornet190 said:
Yeah I hear you about the piracy thing, but I bought the iPad from my broker, whom is a very good friend of mine, so everything is on the up and up. The problem is he'll be getting his new iPad soon, thus will need "his" software. I was hoping there was a way of "resetting" all the apps without actually restoring the unit to its original state, but it seems like that will be the only way of getting rid of the previous owner's details :(

That's it exactly, when your broker gets his new iPad and plugs it in all his current apps will appear on it (as if by magic!). Hence why apps are linked to Apple ID's rather than devices. So yes, I think your best option is to restore and start from scratch. If you have any documents in those apps you might want to back them up with something like Dropbox first.

The Archangel

OP
H

Hornet190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
That's it exactly, when your broker gets his new iPad and plugs it in all his current apps will appear on it (as if by magic!). Hence why apps are linked to Apple ID's rather than devices. So yes, I think your best option is to restore and start from scratch. If you have any documents in those apps you might want to back them up with something like Dropbox first.

The Archangel

Ok, just some feedback for those who are interested. To sort this problem out without restoring the iPad totally, I simply uninstalled all the apps, re-installed the ones I liked, and prob solved! :)

Thanks for the assistance in any case!

Most reactions

Latest posts