What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use iphone 3g sim card in 4g wifi ipad3

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just took out my orange sim card put it in my ipad3 expecting it to work and connect to 3g but it says i need data plan ? My phone connects to the 3g through the sim card why wont my ipad ? Is there something i need to do ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's just sounds like your specific Orange contract does not include the data plan bundle that the iPad would use. Orange sell those data plans as separate entities (both my iPads are on Orange with a £10 per month 1GB data bundle), and it's likely that whilst you can access data on your iPhone 3G it is not a separate data bundle and so can't be used on other devices. It's all down to how the carrier provides their services. I can put my O2 SIM in my iPad and use that data because it does have the necessary data plan.

Don't think there is any way round it, but getting a dedicated SIM from Orange for the iPad for £10 per month is not a bad deal and there is no contract or commitment so you can quit any time. There may be better deals around, so please do look into it! It just so happens I get 5 bar reception where I work in Glasgow, so Orange is right for me! :D

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps my wifes 02 sim may work then , i ain payin anymore money they get bloody 40 quid a month for ma phone n 15 quid for broadband .

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dont suppose i can fake a wifi connwction somehow , i will be in the baxk of a car for 8 hours and want to watch the euro cup final on my tavels :-(

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont suppose i can fake a wifi connwction somehow , i will be in the baxk of a car for 8 hours and want to watch the euro cup final on my tavels :-(

Jailbreak tweak "3G Unrestrictor" makes apps think they are on wifi when using 3G, but it is not always 100% reliable in every App. Some apps check for wifi in non-standard ways. So it really depends! ;)

I rely on 3GU for removing the restrictions in the App Store and iTunes so I can download files larger than 20MB when out and about!

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would need to watch bbc iplayer or itv player will it work for them and do i have to make setting anywhere

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would need to watch bbc iplayer or itv player will it work for them and do i have to make setting anywhere

iPlayer works over 3G anyway. It simply asks you if you are sure you want to do it before you start... Did you even try? :D

I don't use ITVP, so you're on your own with that one...

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your effort there, i tried but still it keeps saying i have no data plan and would i like to set 1 up, why is it doing this it works fine on my iphone 4 , i paid an extra £100 to have 4g on available on this and it dosent even work , i also tried my wifes o2 simcard and it says the same thing as my orange simcard , i have no data plan, surely i dont need to pay more money to orange/ o2 for this to work? Orange already get £40 a month and £15 for broadband from me, any help or pointers would be great, thanks all for your efforts so far thoughmuch appreciated

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, OK, I assumed you had got over that problem... My bad.
No, there is nothing that will get you a data plan for the iPad onto your SIM contract without paying for one with your carrier. I'm lucky enough to have that on both my Orange an O2 SIMS. You can't get it for free, which we would consider stealing here and very much against our rules!
Sorry Pal.

One last thing though. I would suggest you call both Orange and O2 and find out. It could be that they just need to activate the iPad on your account against your current data plan. My Orange SIMs are specifically for my iPads, so no issue there, but with O2 I needed to get my iPad3 added. It was not an extra charge because of the tariff I was on. Just an admin task. It may be the same for you. Worth a shot.

(I just plugged my O2 SIM into my iPad2 and it came up with a message to call O2 as my SIM was not registered with that device. That's what I expected since I've never used it on that iPad).

Last edited:
OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Man thats so annoying i refuse to pay any more money, really feels like apple and orange are ripping me off here, damn! Cheers for the pointers though mate, seriously apprciate all help thats given on here ;-)

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't you use one of the wifi tethering programs with your iPhone (jailbroken I assume) and connect your iPad to that? It won't be 4G, but it should work. That's actually one of the biggest reasons I have an Android phone and not the iPhone. (4G on the phone and wifi tethering to the iPad).

Last edited:

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jockmcd said:
Perhaps my wifes 02 sim may work then , i ain payin anymore money they get bloody 40 quid a month for ma phone n 15 quid for broadband .

You don't need to remove your sim card. If you have a contract on an iDevice(3GS or later) you can create a hot spot on that phone and connect your iPad to it, all the iPad will use is your data plan on your phone, some charges may be incurred unless you have the hot spot feature already on your contract, otherwise you can contact orange and ask them if there will be any charges.

The iDevice Guru.

OP
J

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I all ive just went on holiday to my home in scotland with my family myself and my wife both have iphone4 jailbroken im on orange and she is on 02 , she cannot recieve any 02 3g at all so ive managed to download a tether app from cydia its woring great but my question would be

1 . Who will get charged if at all ? Myself whom i actually making the wifi hotspot or my wife whom is connecting to my phone ?

2 . Is there a way i can find out how much we have available to use before we are charged ?

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jockmcd said:
I all ive just went on holiday to my home in scotland with my family myself and my wife both have iphone4 jailbroken im on orange and she is on 02 , she cannot recieve any 02 3g at all so ive managed to download a tether app from cydia its woring great but my question would be

1 . Who will get charged if at all ? Myself whom i actually making the wifi hotspot or my wife whom is connecting to my phone ?

2 . Is there a way i can find out how much we have available to use before we are charged ?

The tethering device will be subject to a charge unless on a contact from either O2 or Orange if the contract includes international hotspots.

The iDevice Guru

Most reactions