What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB camera kit used to read pdf files from a USB flash Drive

merino91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to read PDF files stored on a USB flash drive with the USB camera connector kit for the Ipad?

nickbt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I managed to read PDF, AVI, JPG from flash drive.
1. You need to have jailbreak applied to your IPAD.
2. I tried with a USB flash drive of 1Gb and that worked fine. I tried with a 16Gb, but that one needed more power to operate.

When plugging the USB key, open iFile and the external drive should appear. Select your PDF document and open with the selected app.

Godofbeer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works as described, but something's missing

I use the exact recipe Nickbt provided and it works perfectly. Have copied many megabytes of pdfs, music, images, movies, and work files.

Only thing I could use help on is that I can't crack the code (yet) on how to get the images, music and movie files to show up in the Ipod app the same way as if I had used Itunes. Using Ifile, I've found that every other app has an easy to find 'documents' folder and copying files into these folders results in new items being visible the next time the app loads.

However, for music, pictures and movies, I have to make my own little folder structure and then use Ifile exclusively to start the viewing/listening process. This isn't too bad, but a bit tiresome each time you want to look at something or listen to tunes.

Have experimented and copied files into where the pictures and ipod apps place items, but the only folder that seems to pickup manually inserted files is the 'camera roll' folder. And even then, it's fussy and sometimes you'll see an image outline, with no proper thumbnail.

Also, if you create a DCIM folder on the USB stick, and place pictures in the folder ... when you insert the USB stick, the pictures will be automatically inserted into the camera roll.

Anyone know of an easy way to manually manipulate the music, images and movie folders. Ideally, I'd like to NEVER sync to Itunes again and ONLY use network shares and USB sticks.

Thanks,

W.

Most reactions

Latest posts