What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB cable not charging the new iPad even though I'm using the factory 10W charger

user20140405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems certain third-party iOS USB cables have issue charging the 3rd generation iPad. I am actually using the factory 10 watt wall charger that came with the new iPad. I got two of these cables from this eBay seller:
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/270926474785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2934wt_912

[/URL]When I plug the cables in to the Ipad it says "not charging". The cables do work for a iPhone 4S and iPhone 3G, however.

Another old third-party USB cable did work with the iPad, so it seems to be an issue with the cable.

Can anyone recommend another eBay seller that sells cables that work for the new iPad?

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't is safer, & cheaper, in the long run simply to buy one from Apple? You may have been sold a 5W charger "in error" (yeah). At some point I'd hope Apple will bring out a more powerful charger for the larger battery in the iPad 3.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Third party cables aren't worth the time, money, and effort to try to use on the iPad. They can't carry the greater current for the iPad to charge properly and the iPad won't charge with anything less than 10w. You'll save time, money, and frustration by just buying a factory cable.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jawa6306 said:
Third party cables aren't worth the time, money, and effort to try to use on the iPad. They can't carry the greater current for the iPad to charge properly and the iPad won't charge with anything less than 10w. You'll save time, money, and frustration by just buying a factory cable.

Not entirely true, my iPhone 3GS charger has no problem charging my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Er, guys, cables are fairly simple things to make. It's not some mystery to get a decent cable that works on charging the iPad. I have several and they all work great. This is one:

Amazon.com: KHOMO: Extra Long USB Sync Cable Cord Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad 2, iPod Touch, Nano (Black, 2 pcs, 6ft): MP3 Players & Accessories

You should use the 10W charger unless you really like waiting a long time. This is the charger I use (I have two, one for home and another for work):

Amazon.com: 10W / 5W Dual USB Wall AC Power Adapter Charger for iPad/iPad/iPod Touch/Android Smartphone etc: Electronics

This is the charger I use in my car:

Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad: Electronics

Again, these chargers both provide @ 2.1A so they will car an iPad and have a port for charing the phone, too. I use these everyday, including the cables. They do not cost a lot, either.

Last edited:
L

Lunar

Not entirely true, my iPhone 3GS charger has no problem charging my iPad.

For curiousity. 2 mins ago I tried my old 3gs charger, and it's not providing enough current to remove the 'Not Charging' message, which TBH is the result I expected, the 3gs charger is the genuine Apple btw, and indeed if it had worked, it would have been very slow.

I recommend users stick with the Apple 10watt charger, or use a decent smart third party charger/dock which is at least 10w or above.

Regarding, using 3rd party dirt cheap Ebay USB iPad cables, yes, I too have bought a couple in the past, which for some reason would'nt work, I did hear it was because, some inferior cables did not have all the wires connected, but I have no idea if that was true or not. I also noticed that even on cables that did work, that sometimes the actual plug was often a tighter fit when inserting it. That's been some time ago, and those dubious cables may be long gone.

So for peace of mind, and because the genuine Apple cables cost not much more, I only use the genuine cables now. I look at it this way.. that 30-way connector is pretty fragile as it is, and as everyone is out to make profit, it is possible that some of the third party Ebay (None Apple) cables are not upto spec.. It is however in Apple's own interest to ensure cables they use or recommend are fit for the purpose, IOW why would they build or supply an inferior cable which may damage their own product, that's my theory anyway..lol

Lastly, on the subject of car chargers, these work fine even with the iPad 3, at least the higher 2.1amp versions do.
Most people know, that to obtain the wattage, you simply multiply amperage by the voltage, so one of these 2.1amp rated cigarette lighter adapters should in theory allow charging at 10.5watts max, hence why they seem to work okay, just make sure it's a decent quality one. I suspect however that a charging rate nearer 7watts is probably nearer the truth. Most of earlier 1amp versions however will not even remove the 'Not Charging' message.

Btw.. the new iPad 3 cable is indeed slightly thicker than previous one's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using a lower wattage charger won't harm the battery, otherwise Apple would tell you not to charge with USB. They simply say it won't charge as fast. I haven't timed my iPhone charger to see how much slower it is, but both chargers provide enough juice to charge the battery from 50% to 100% overnight (~7 hours).

L

Lunar

I should have added.. that info was read from a well known manufacturer of quite expensive smart battery chargers, which mainly cater for Radio Control model enthusiasts, where obviously Lithium Ion cells are used a lot. (battery feature artical in a RC Model magazine) I agree with you though... that in reality I don't think much harm would be done either.. my gut feeling is.. there may be some validity in it, as I'm sure their knowledge of these batteries is much better than mine..lol but not enough to cause noticable harm.. for the very reasons you stated. Plus the fact.. lithium ion batteries for models use special low resistance cells capable of delivering very high currents and are likely a little different to those I suspect which are in the iPads.. otherwise iPad batteries would cost a small fortune.

Therefore my post has been edited...thx for your reply. which prompted me to rethink what I had written, as it may have alarmed a few users unnecessarily ...lol.. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some old threads in the "General Discussions" forum about the charging cables. Long story short, even Apple cables that came w/an iPhone would not charge an iPad. I'm not sure that's still the case. It may have been limited to a particular production run of the cables. Probably still best to stay w/iPad-specific cables.

backudog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a car charger, a usb plug charger..erm..thingy(plug you put the usb cable into)? and an extra usb cable for my new ipad 3 in our local pound shop , all in all it cost me 3 quid and they all work fine! (i also got a stand , screen protector and case for it there too!)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When buying stuff from the internet, caution should be taken. I never buy from Ebay and most others like them. Amazon has usually been good, but you have to read the fine print with items not sold by Amazon. I have a cable that allows me to charge and out put to the car stereo through the 30 pin connector. Apple does not offer such a cable, so I am glad I found one that seems to be to Apple standards.

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here's what I found out... The cables made for the new iPad are actually thicker than the regular 30 pin cables made by apple. I found this out when I tried to plug my new iPad in with an older cable. It wound up saying not charging after about 65%. I held the two up and the one that came with my iPad 3 is noticeably thicker than its elder counterpart. I swapped them out and it worked out fine. Best to keep this in mind if you're anything like me and have 6 different 30 pin cables.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still using the charger & cable from my original iPad 1. I've not even bothered to unpack the charger & cable for the New iPad. It all works fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts