What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to iPad 3 if Only 3G?

Upgrade to iPad 3 if Only 3G

• Yes, 3G is fast enough for me

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Yes, I mainly want it for GPS

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No, I do not desire a 3G-only iPad 3

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No, I don't plan to upgrade

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not expecting to see the iPad 3 until 2012 but I'm reconsidering the value of a 3G iPad with the growth of 4G networks and convenience and price of personal hotspots.

I don't expect to use the 3G feature since I do have a mobile hotspot and I'd prefer to use 4G, if possible. However, having GPS is a plus but is it worth $130?

Would you upgrade your current iPad to an iPad 3 if it only supported 3G data?

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is maybe some other attractive features than 4g network updates,just like
wireless sync and others,,,,,,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The projections I've seen for 4G popularity are low even several years out, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy any 3G device for several years, unless circumstances change. For my uses, I've found 3G satisfactory, and I'd expect GPS in a tablet. I also am not interested in tethering.

If I went from my 3G iPads to a wifi tablet, I'd consider it a downgrade, even if it involved a newer model.

OP
Beryl

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd expect GPS in a tablet.
But did Apple include GPS in the WiFi model? I think they should make it standard in all iPads going forward.

I'd prefer 3G/4G as there is a noticeable difference when you are streaming video.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd expect GPS in a tablet.
But did Apple include GPS in the WiFi model?

Is that a rhetorical question? I wouldn't consider a wifi-only iPad, either, with or without GPS. Some buyers are happy without 3G or 4G, and/or GPS, though. And it's good that the market can support options for various types of buyers.

OP
Beryl

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Is that a rhetorical question? I wouldn't consider a wifi-only iPad, either, with or without GPS. Some buyers are happy without 3G or 4G, and/or GPS, though. And it's good that the market can support options for various types of buyers.

No but your preference is noted.

The GPS chip, though frequently bundled with cellular is separate. Apple could have included GPS with the Wifi model but did not. This poll does show that some would just want the GPS and not 3G. I hope they rethink that with future models.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

No but your preference is noted.

The GPS chip, though frequently bundled with cellular is separate. Apple could have included GPS with the Wifi model but did not. This poll does show that some would just want the GPS and not 3G. I hope they rethink that with future models.

I doubt it, but we'll see.

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not really Texas is a big state and only in the city you would get a 3G connection.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my iPad 1 specifically for mobile browsing and internet access. Everything else was secondary.. I might upgrade to an iPad 3... But I definitely won't if it doesn't support 4G..

candvmacdonald

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't add it later and you don't have to enable the 3G. For me there wasn't an option.

YucatanParker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will upgrade to an iPad 3 to get the retina screen. I have been using 4g on my iPad by tethering it to my ATT phone. My city is one of the pilots for ATT LTE. It is incredible. I think the difference is significant

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trouble with 4G is that it eats battery so much faster that I don't think the speed trade off is worth it right now. Perhaps the iPad 3 will have enough battery capacity to address this, but not likely.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trouble with 4G is that it eats battery so much faster that I don't think the speed trade off is worth it right now. Perhaps the iPad 3 will have enough battery capacity to address this, but not likely.

Agreed. I won't sacrifice battery life for speed, either.

OP
Beryl

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the best features of the iPad is its battery life so I agree with these posts.

I'm beginning to imagine my ideal iPad 3. It has a GPS chip or micro SD that supports a card with memory and GPS on-board. That would enable me to use a personal 4G hotspot instead of slower speeds or reduced battery life.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beryl said:
One of the best features of the iPad is its battery life so I agree with these posts.

I'm beginning to imagine my ideal iPad 3. It has a GPS chip or micro SD that supports a card with memory and GPS on-board. That would enable me to use a personal 4G hotspot instead of slower speeds or reduced battery life.

I would be satisfied with a USB flash drive/SD card reader that plugs into the iPad 2. It wouldn't be impossible for Apple to increase the voltage at the 30-pin socket to power such a device. Even adding these ports and a retina display would not persuade me to upgrade. I find it hard to imagine anything that would.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts