What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade of Apple's native office suit

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

If anyone had an elaborate experience about Apple 's native office apps such as Pages, Keynote and Numbers with new iOS 11 beta, I would like to know, how good they are in handling word documents? Or PPTX and Xcel files? We extensively use MS Word with its review and "track changes" features for correction of manuscripts, project drafts etc. These files when imported to Pages, they loose the track changes, the graphic content too gets messed up in word file. Are these shortcomings going to be addressed in iOS 11? Has someone firsthand info on this?

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you need full compatibilty with Microsoft Office, it's best to use the iOS versions of those apps. They have most of the features of the desktop versions, and (not surprisingly) are the most compatible. Most Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions include licences for the tablet versions. You only need a paid Office 365 licence to use MS Office apps on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Smaller iPads and the iPhones can run the Office apps with a free Microsoft account, though some of the more powerful features are disabled.

As for Apple's apps, there have been no changes from the iOS 10 versions to date. If Apple updates them, it will probably be at the same time that they release the iOS 11 update. I've heard no rumors or other suggestions that the Works apps will recieve major updates, so the only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that they will be updated to take advantage of the Files app and other new multitasking features of iOS 11. Whether that will happen immediately, or sometime soon after the iOS 11 update is anyone's guess.

That's not to say that there won't be a major update to the Works apps. Because software updates are all internal, and Apple's productivity apps gather little media interest, it's not uncommon for Apple to surprise everyone with new apps and software updates.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you need full compatibilty with Microsoft Office, it's best to use the iOS versions of those apps. They have most of the features of the desktop versions, and (not surprisingly) are the most compatible. Most Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions include licences for the tablet versions. You only need a paid Office 365 licence to use MS Office apps on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Smaller iPads and the iPhones can run the Office apps with a free Microsoft account, though some of the more powerful features are disabled.

As for Apple's apps, there have been no changes from the iOS 10 versions to date. If Apple updates them, it will probably be at the same time that they release the iOS 11 update. I've heard no rumors or other suggestions that the Works apps will recieve major updates, so the only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that they will be updated to take advantage of the Files app and other new multitasking features of iOS 11. Whether that will happen immediately, or sometime soon after the iOS 11 update is anyone's guess.

That's not to say that there won't be a major update to the Works apps. Because software updates are all internal, and Apple's productivity apps gather little media interest, it's not uncommon for Apple to surprise everyone with new apps and software updates.

Thanks for your detailed response. I hope iWorks apps get upgraded so that there should be no need of office apps on iOS devices because duplication of apps take some toll on memory.

Regards,

Atindra

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends on what you do. If you need consistant compatibilty with Microsoft Office, Apple's apps are 'probably' never going to be the best choice.

I actually like Apple's apps better than Microsoft's, but file/format conversion is never perfect. If it's a key part of your workflow you can't afford to be constantly checking and tweaking the results.

On the other hand, if you don't need Microsoft compatibly, or only rarely, then it's only a matter of features, UI, and personal preferences. Apple's has improved thier colaboration features each year, so it's certanily possible the next iWorks update will the one that is good enough for you to make the switch.

I work with two groups that insist on using Windows and Office, so I keep both. iWorks for private and one-off projects, and Microsoft Offce for all those other people.

Oh, and Google's apps for when I need real time, easily set up colaboration, and can convince the other parties to use it. I don't care for Google's office apps when it comes to thier other features or the UI, but they do have the most reliable colaboration.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of note some versions of office will not work with high seirra, 2011 will not be supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft Office support for macOS 10.13 High Sierra -

Yes, this has been a discussion on other forums, but refers to the upcoming release of macOS High Sierra for Mac computers - the OP's question concerns the iOS versions of these MS apps - of course, there may be some unforeseen relationships? Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, any possible iOS 11 versions of the Microsoft Office suite will not be released until after the public release of iOS 11. With the rapid changes inherent in multiple beta releases of a new operating system, it’s impractical to release an update that supports a beta release. Microsoft has an Apple developer account and they’ve almost certainly been testing beta versions of a new Office suite since the iOS 11 beta program started in June.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on what you do. If you need consistant compatibilty with Microsoft Office, Apple's apps are 'probably' never going to be the best choice.

I actually like Apple's apps better than Microsoft's, but file/format conversion is never perfect. If it's a key part of your workflow you can't afford to be constantly checking and tweaking the results.

On the other hand, if you don't need Microsoft compatibly, or only rarely, then it's only a matter of features, UI, and personal preferences. Apple's has improved thier colaboration features each year, so it's certanily possible the next iWorks update will the one that is good enough for you to make the switch.

I work with two groups that insist on using Windows and Office, so I keep both. iWorks for private and one-off projects, and Microsoft Offce for all those other people.

Oh, and Google's apps for when I need real time, easily set up colaboration, and can convince the other parties to use it. I don't care for Google's office apps when it comes to thier other features or the UI, but they do have the most reliable colaboration.

Good management as per needs you have devised. Thanks for the info.

Atindra

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, any possible iOS 11 versions of the Microsoft Office suite will not be released until after the public release of iOS 11. With the rapid changes inherent in multiple beta releases of a new operating system, it’s impractical to release an update that supports a beta release. Microsoft has an Apple developer account and they’ve almost certainly been testing beta versions of a new Office suite since the iOS 11 beta program started in June.

Thanks for sharing this piece of info.

Atindra

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering the utility of MS-Office, i would go for office 365 one year subscription. How are iWorks apps in iOS 11?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Considering the utility of MS-Office, i would go for office 365 one year subscription. How are iWorks apps in iOS 11?

The most useful change is how the file browser works. iWorks apps now use a Files app style browser. This means you can store and retrive files from anywhere you can in Files; including most of the popular cloud services: DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.

Of course they included the new drag & drop and multitaksing features of iOS 11 (not all devices support all features).

You also get some more powerful shape editing tools.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded it and it is working great. I am exploring the features.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An update from my side on the office suit. Well since my iPad Pro has 256gb space, I decided to keep both office suits, from Apple and from MS. But my observation was that Apple’s suit is still not very intuitive. Moreover it occupies too much more space compared to each app of Microsoft, for example Keynote is about 200 MB larger than power point. Similarly the difference between word and pages or excel and Numbers can be seen.
Finally I decided not to keep two office suits and decided to go for Microsoft, even if I have to pay for it. And with latest updates for pen support and a drawing function on all, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, the user experience is fantastic. And one gets 1TB free space in OneDrive.

Atindra

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I agree with most of what you said, I still like Pages better for creating quick one or two page projects; especially if they are mostly a layout challenge (as opposed to lots of text). Like this brochure I put together for our W7DP Tailgate event tomorrow.

I had to flip the second page due to the print layout limitations of AirPrint in iOS.

While I’m sure I could have made a brochure in Word, I’m not even sure how to begin. Especially the graphic on the first page, which I cobled together from basic shapes and artwork supplied with Pages.

Of coures, that’s probably because I’ve used Pages a lot more than Word; which means I find Word to be the un-intuitive app. :)

Anyway, I’ll keep both.

Attachments

• 7AA1CB6F-990C-4279-B259-6B6FCEFCD5DA.jpeg
    7AA1CB6F-990C-4279-B259-6B6FCEFCD5DA.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 410

Most reactions

Latest posts