What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating iPad OS whilst in another country

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friend of mine from UK is currently on holiday at my house in France.

He has never updated the OS on his iPad 1 since he bought it (about a year ago).

Reason being is that he operates all his phone calls and data downloads with a dongle (miwi) I think its called. * He does have an iTunes account but maintaining iTunes is difficult without broadband.

We were wondering if whilst he is with us in France, whether he could update his OS to the latest version without losing stuff he already has stored on his Pad. (using my PC)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes.

Connect to iTunes and authorize the computer if it's not already (your computer?)

DO NOT let it sync.

Disable all the auto sync options.

Have iTunes check for updates. Download and install the iOS update.

-t

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Thewitt, will let you know how it goes. Thing I am worried about is if towardsvthe end of the download it gives the error message.

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thewitt

No sucess.

Went to my iTunes, logged in under my friends name, went to download and install (incidentally he has v 3.2.2).

Downloaded after about 85 mins, the it started processing, then the old error message time out etc.

Swithced firewall and macafee off tried again, same result.

Looked at other threads, downloaded a file with "restore" on the end and couldn't work out how to operate it. Some time back I tried this way of updating and lost all my stuff on the iPad, hell of a hassle to restore everything.

I cannot understand how such a superior product as the iPad cannot do a simple firmware update without having to almost get a shuttle pilots licence in order to achieve.

Can you help us pse and advise if maybe we are doing something wrong. If you do have a solution, laymans terms and step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Most reactions

Latest posts