What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update first or exchange first?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been having recent issues with my iPad 2 freezing up about once or twice a week (totally freezes up...nothing works). I've reset it a few times and it always fixes it. I always close programs and havent done anything unusual to it except put the finger gestures on last april when i first got it. Just wondering...with the release of iOS 5 coming soon....if I were to take this tablet to apple store to exchange, am I going to have to do all of the previous updates on a new iPad 2? Or just update the one time to IOS5? It's only 6 months old...is very well taken care of. Bummed I might have to do an exchange. I'm not the most tech savvy, but everything had been working great and this freezing up just started about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for any help!! Annette ;)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to update directly to iOS 5. I'm not even sure how you would incorporate all the intermediate updates. I'd recommend, however, that you check to see if you have the problem after updating to iOS 5. (I assume you haven't applied the updates until now in order to preserve the finger gestures?) You may, of course, have a hardware problem that will require an exchange but it's also possible that running a down-rev version of the OS combined with the particular combination of apps on your iPad is producing the "freezing" behavior you describe.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, yes actually I have completed all of the previous updates. The finger gesture function has always worked...still does. I'm thinking your right...maybe I should update to IOS 5 and see if the problem resolves.
If it keeps doing it, I can always exchange it. Thanks!! Annette

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
I've been having recent issues with my iPad 2 freezing up about once or twice a week (totally freezes up...nothing works). I've reset it a few times and it always fixes it. I always close programs and havent done anything unusual to it except put the finger gestures on last april when i first got it. Just wondering...with the release of iOS 5 coming soon....if I were to take this tablet to apple store to exchange, am I going to have to do all of the previous updates on a new iPad 2? Or just update the one time to IOS5? It's only 6 months old...is very well taken care of. Bummed I might have to do an exchange. I'm not the most tech savvy, but everything had been working great and this freezing up just started about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks for any help!! Annette ;)

My iPad 2 just started freezing about a week ago. I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my iPad 2 keeps freezing and I've been to the apple store twice in two days. Yesterday I was told to restore back to factory settings and then sync. Well that didn't work. Today I was told that I had a bug in my software and it should be fixed when ios5 comes out. They ran a hardware diagnostics and nothing came up so they said it was a software issue.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok thanks...I'm thinking that might be my problem as well. Hoping the update tomorrow will fix. Actually hasn't freezed up in a few days (crossing my fingers)

Most reactions

Latest posts