What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unexplained loss of films

jintymac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody experienced what appears to be an unexplained loss of films from ipad2. This is a shared resource at work and I cannot explain the loss.
What would somebody need to do to delete the films? I can explain one mistake but four are is more difficult.
Can you recover - have tried itunes but it was not synch'd so had not uploaded the rogue films
Any ideas
Thanks

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If these films were installed on the iPads, then in order to delete them, the user would need to connect to iTunes on a PC where the apps and films are stored, and sync the iPads in question, removing the tick in the box for the film or films in question in the videos section of iTunes. They certainly should not disappear on their own.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
There are two possible scenarios. Either the films are simply hidden due to age-restrictions, or they have been deleted.

For 1) go to Settings->General->Restrictions->Movies and set it to "Show all movies". It this doesn't bring the movies back, then they are deleted.

It takes about 3 seconds to delete a movie, you touch the movie for ~2sec and then select the x to delete it. There is no restriction to prevent movie deletion.

Also movies can only be downloaded once, so since the iPad hasn't been synced with iTunes, there is no backup available to restore the movie. And downloading it from iTunes again would mean purchasing it twice.

The way iOS is designed, it is made for a single user only and not for sharing it, as there few options to restrict other users.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
There are two possible scenarios. Either the films are simply hidden due to age-restrictions, or they have been deleted.

For 1) go to Settings->General->Restrictions->Movies and set it to "Show all movies". It this doesn't bring the movies back, then they are deleted.

It takes about 3 seconds to delete a movie, you touch the movie for ~2sec and then select the x to delete it. There is no restriction to prevent movie deletion.

Also movies can only be downloaded once, so since the iPad hasn't been synced with iTunes, there is no backup available to restore the movie. And downloading it from iTunes again would mean purchasing it twice.

The way iOS is designed, it is made for a single user only and not for sharing it, as there few options to restrict other users.

You mean these can be deleted from the iPad? Since no one else uses mine, my films are safe. But they are also backed up in iTunes if I ever ran short of space, I could delete a few and restore them at a later date from iTunes on my PC?

Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
You mean these can be deleted from the iPad? Since no one else uses mine, my films are safe. But they are also backed up in iTunes if I ever ran short of space, I could delete a few and restore them at a later date from iTunes on my PC?

Yes, you can delete movies directly from the iPad the same way you delete apps and then sync them back onto the iPad using iTunes. But if the movies haven't been backed up onto iTunes, then they are lost, unless someone finds a way to run a recovery program on the iPad's flashdrive.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Yes, you can delete movies directly from the iPad the same way you delete apps and then sync them back onto the iPad using iTunes. But if the movies haven't been backed up onto iTunes, then they are lost, unless someone finds a way to run a recovery program on the iPad's flashdrive.

I thought that's was it, my stuff is ALWAYS backed up in iTunes and a monthly DVD set, currently running at 6 DVDs! Call me paranoid, but I won't lose data, even if iTunes messes up on my PC :)

Most reactions