What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unable to send mail on iPad 2

leypat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my iPad 2 I set up a mail account and now can receive mail, but cannot send one. When I attempt to do so, I get the notification "the server does not allow relaying" I called the ISP they were not much help as the do not know much about iPads. WOuld appreciate any help or advice on this.

I do not have any problems with my gmail account.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my iPad 2 I set up a mail account and now can receive mail, but cannot send one. When I attempt to do so, I get the notification "the server does not allow relaying" I called the ISP they were not much help as the do not know much about iPads. WOuld appreciate any help or advice on this.

I do not have any problems with my gmail account.

This is the Port 25 relay problem. The issue is that, although you need a password to receive email, the 'fathers of the Internet', when they set up the original email protocol SMTP, never thought a password would be needed to send email.

i.e. you need a letterbox to receive your surface (paper) mail and no one else can get to that but you. But you can send an email through a public mail box. So they did the same for email.

But, hey, I can post a paper mail and pretend to be someone else, and that's what's been happening in email. Since you don't need a password to send email, there's no way to guarantee that the email really is from you. So email service providers were receiving lots of complaints from people who had been receiving emails, purporting to come from someone they knew but, in fact, were sent by an 'imposter'.

When you log in from your home network, they know it's you because you have to supply a password to log in - to then there's no problem sending. But if you try to send from another network - perhaps a public WiFi location - they have no way of knowing whether it's really you who are trying to send that email. So they don't allow you to send using the conventional 'old fashioned' mail protocol called SMTP and it's called the 'Port 25 relay problem' because old-fashioned SMTP uses an Internet Protocol (IP) port number 25 (don't worry about it).

But there is a newer version of SMTP that uses authenticated log-in called SSL - and gmail supports that. You need to find out whether your service provider supports SSL for sending SMTP email. If they do, then simply switch to that and copy the send email settings from your gmail account to your service provider - though the server address will be different, of course.

I have exactly the same problem with my service provider and they don't support SSL. I get around the problem easily by having a 'split account' In other words, on my service provider's email settings on the iPad I use the receive email settings that I always normally use, but copy the gmail settings to the send part of the account. In other words, when I'm on that account, I receive from my service provider but send via gmail. It works just fine...

OK - probably too much 'stuff' in this email, so have a look and get back to use with follow up questions. I'm sure you'll get a lot of really good advice.....probably too much!!

Tim

pcstutzman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I don't understand is that my Verizon I phone works fine but the IPad receives the server does not allow relaying on all emails, whether I use my Pop or Imap account. Help please.

Bevie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am having the same problem on my ipad2. I was able to send email but now I can't. I don't use Gmail I use Eastlink
I wondered if I happened to change a setting by accident?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Bev

Most reactions

Latest posts