What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate Couch Potato iPad Stand

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time writing on forums like this and I do a lot or reading too. So I needed a sturdy iPad holder that could be easily readjusted depending on what I do with it.

I bought a microphone boom stand. Unfortunately this one is a little cheapish and not quite sturdy enough so I had to add a 5 pound counterweight to offset the iPad's heft and that of the supporting panel.

That panel is cut from half inch MDF covered in black self adhesive felt material. So are the rails that maintain the pad. I affixed it to the boom with a speaker wall mount bracket.

Total cost of project, 80$.

I plan on many hours of use so I got an Ipad power supply especially for that station.

3599463e.png

656290fb.png

bdd0bc3a.png

It's the perfect place to fall asleep reading without fear of dropping the little treasure...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn can't see my wife agreeing to one of those, unless it's at the bottom of the garden...

And yes I too have fallen asleep in front of my iPad.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that a proline boom?
Damn. What a fantastic idea. Pardon me while I start making one!!
Looks really good!

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get a mic. Boom stand at any musical instrument store. This was the cheapest at 22.99$. I should have chosen a better one.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice and couch-potato worthy. Here's a suggestion, if I may...zip-tie your charger base onto the boom stand so it isn't just hanging in the air. I can see an accidental unplugging if it's hanging mid-air like that.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice and couch-potato worthy. Here's a suggestion, if I may...zip-tie your charger base onto the boom stand so it isn't just hanging in the air. I can see an accidental unplugging if it's hanging mid-air like that.

Good advice. There are wire clips that come with the stand but the wires with the charger are barely long enough to reach the nearest plug. It has to stay that way until I get a short power cord to add length.

Btw, I tried the setup next to the bed, it works beautifully as you can adjust the iPad upside down over your face as you lie down. Of course my wife forbids it!:p

Metairieman55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful

Very creative thinking! My laptop was just stolen (always struggled finding a cheap system similar that would support its 10lbs.) and since I've ported over to the Ipad, you have helped me greatly.

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rofl!! You know you're a redneck if.....

Well, if you can't find a product to fill a need you gotta invent it dontcha?

If I could have found something like this I would have bought it a long time ago.

Any positive suggestion?

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh heck no lol! I think you're brilliant and it's people with mindsets like yours that rule the world. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that the iPad started out in Steve Jobs mind in a very similar way :)

OP
iVan

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a few pictures with the stand over the bed. The photos would have been clearer with a dummy under but he was taking those pictures.

16c2fc80.png

d83fc46b.png

695eae65.png

The idea of this came to me a few months back when I broke my right ankle. I was stuck in bed with my ankle positioned higher than my head because of blood circulation problems. Everything is fine now, I'll be back to work in two weeks.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Most reactions

Latest posts