What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK - Best carrier for signal

Roddy19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an Ipad 2 soon and plan to use a sim only plan and after looking at other threads I am interested in either a 3 plan, the T-mobile internet booster or maybe using my existing o2 sim only plan.

I am moving to Sheffield for 6 months for work and won't be getting a phoneline and hence no wifi, but I definitely want the internet so I think an Ipad might be the solution. My main concern is the reliability of the network, I've had a few issues with my iphone 3g on o2 as sometimes i don't always get texts or calls fail, I've heard that 3 have stopped using orange's 2g service so the signal reliability can be poor and I don't know much about T-mobile.

For the above reasons I am not tying myself into a 24 month contract so it looks like sim only is the option for me but I don't want to waste time and money checking out each network myself, so if anyone can give their opinions it would be great. More specifically for Sheffield and Leeds if possible.

Thanks

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the t mobile 6MONTHWEB booster and it performs brilliantly. T mobile also shares their signal with orange so there has never been a place where I can't get a signal. The only weak spot is at my parents in the New Forest, but luckily t mobile drops down from 3G to EDGE & GPRS when there is no 3G. GPRS is really slow, but it's better than no signal at all.

My booster has only cost £20 for 6 months usage so is a bargain, but when this runs out I am going to buy the £15 iPhone sim which will give a years free Internet.

I hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with the 3 network in the uk and it works just fine in most of the south and south west of the uk. I am on a 2 yr contract which provided me with an iPad 2 16g and 3G and 15 gb data each month for £25/ month. I am very pleased with the package. I have also bought a wifi dongle which I use my sim card in....it allows me to watch itv/c4 catchup, interestingly I cannot play bbc Iplayer as it still detects 3 g...the others do not.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
I am using the t mobile 6MONTHWEB booster and it performs brilliantly. T mobile also shares their signal with orange so there has never been a place where I can't get a signal. The only weak spot is at my parents in the New Forest, but luckily t mobile drops down from 3G to EDGE & GPRS when there is no 3G. GPRS is really slow, but it's better than no signal at all.

My booster has only cost £20 for 6 months usage so is a bargain, but when this runs out I am going to buy the £15 iPhone sim which will give a years free Internet.

I hope this helps :)

With the £15 micro sim do you have to top it up each month to get the Internet or is that it for £15??

Thanks

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
With the £15 micro sim do you have to top it up each month to get the Internet or is that it for £15??

Thanks

£15 for 12 months....... That's it :)

sumnerpn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
£15 for 12 months....... That's it :)

I have just bought a t mobile sim card for use in my iPad, do I have to enable first in a iPhone before using it in a iPad ?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sumnerpn said:
I have just bought a t mobile sim card for use in my iPad, do I have to enable first in a iPhone before using it in a iPad ?

Any phone will do. You have to wait for a text saying the deal has been set up, but a lot of people aren't getting the text, so they have to phone TM to get them to apply the deal.

Most reactions

Latest posts