What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two iPads same profile!

RonKunce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got an iPad 2, having already owned an iPhone 4 for more than year. It was set up using the iTunes app from my PC, copying my apps and configuration from my iPhone backup on the PC. So now both machines work as if they are one. However, I also now have a second iPad 2 (wifi only) for the wife and through the same set up on iTunes, but now I have three clones. I need to have my wife"s iPad configured with all the same apps, but under her own profile/configuration. How do I do that?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if I understand you correctly by profile do you mean her own iTunes password/ account, if so then the answer is no. Apps are associated with the account they are purchased under you can share up to five devices on one account but you cannot share apps between accounts, sorry.

OP
RonKunce

RonKunce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:
Well if I understand you correctly by profile do you mean her own iTunes password/ account, if so then the answer is no. Apps are associated with the account they are purchased under you can share up to five devices on one account but you cannot share apps between accounts, sorry.

I created a separate login in iTunes for my wife and was logged in as her, but for some reason, it synced all my apps to her machine anyway. What kneed to know if just deleting individual apps and reordering them will suffice or is there some other configuration items that need to be changed or deleted?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, when you have the iPad connected you should be able to open the apps section of the iPad in iTunes and see a list of the apps installed on that pad, each app will have a check box to the left, for each app that you don't want on that device you should uncheck the box. iTunes will then not sync those unchecked apps. You can then delete them from the iPad and they will no longer appear. Should you change your mind in the future checking them again will reinstall them on the iPad.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got an iPad 2, having already owned an iPhone 4 for more than year. It was set up using the iTunes app from my PC, copying my apps and configuration from my iPhone backup on the PC. So now both machines work as if they are one. However, I also now have a second iPad 2 (wifi only) for the wife and through the same set up on iTunes, but now I have three clones. I need to have my wife"s iPad configured with all the same apps, but under her own profile/configuration. How do I do that?

you should always setup as new, especially if you are gonna be keeping the other device, so they have their own backups.
newipad2.jpg

to look like this
1299743297-51.png

one iTunes account can be synced to as many iDevices you own, and can be authorized to a total of 5 computers.
authorize-computer-itunes-sharing.jpg

I created a separate login in iTunes for my wife and was logged in as her, but for some reason, it synced all my apps to her machine anyway. What kneed to know if just deleting individual apps and reordering them will suffice or is there some other configuration items that need to be changed or deleted?

when you setup new iPad, you have to sync stuff on your own..... however once deleted from iPad, when you sync again it will auto uncheck it to not sync it again. Now see the checkmark for sync apps at the top, and automatically sync new apps at the bottom, your choice on choosing the bottom one.
ipad-sync-apps.png

and this is new...if enabled....you download on the road, it goes to the other devices over the air automatically.
automaticdownloaditunes105.jpg

Ok, when you have the iPad connected you should be able to open the apps section of the iPad in iTunes and see a list of the apps installed on that pad, each app will have a check box to the left, for each app that you don't want on that device you should uncheck the box. iTunes will then not sync those unchecked apps. You can then delete them from the iPad and they will no longer appear. Should you change your mind in the future checking them again will reinstall them on the iPad.

easier to uncheck them in iTunes and sync the iPad to iTunes....so you don't have to physically delete them on iPad, iTunes does the work when you uncheck them and sync.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you should keep those device backups safe somewhere, like an external hard drive, cause you never know if your pc might crash, and you can lose them by restoring pc... but i save my backups to an external HD, because i wanna have other/older backups, just in case the current one is causing conflicts, since it overwrites the one stored in iTunes every-time the iPad syncs.... i can grab an older one that worked, from my external HD.

Q: Where are these backups stored?

A: By default, backups are stored in the following folders:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

i backup my Mac, so my iTunes backup is included too.
all those videos/music/apps etc...everything safely backed up.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you do lose your device backups, by formatting pc.
do this asap...

transfer purchases....and backup.
this adds a backup to your fresh pc, and transfer stuff you have purchased on the iPad to your iTunes on fresh pc.

ipad3.png

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've synched several iPads and other iDevices to the same iTunes account by backing up an older one, then using the "restore as" feature when synching the new one. Once the new one is hooked up for the first time, I just change the device's name and manually toggle off anything I don't want synched in future.

That's worked fine over the year+ I've used iPads. iTunes automatically remembers each device and its profile whenever I hook up via USB, and what's already offered via cloud is already working on each device. Backups work fine, too.

Last edited:

momlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:

Is it only five devices per account? I remember seeing in either iTunes or the Apps Store that three computers could be authorised on one account, but if devices are limited as well, I've hit the wall......
Not that it is a problem <yet>; my wife got me a high-volume Classic a couple of years ago for a birthday or Christmas, so I got a 2nd-gen Touch for her; she loved it, so she got me a 3rd-gen Touch at the next opportunity, so I naturally went & got a 3G 64GB iPad for her, just 'cause. It became permanently affixed to her left arm, so this birthday, I decided to give my eyes a break, & I got her an iPod 2. So I inherited this one!
I did have sense enough to keep all of registered under the original account, so I can (and do) listen to Everlast's "Saving Grace" and Nelly/Timberland doing "Promiscuous" on every one of the devices; however; I am on here wring this, logged onto the iPF app under my wife's preferred user name, and while I could probably guess the password, I cannot find a place to change it, or change her user name (although I did manage to load her kitten onto the account as her picture.
Thanks in advance to anyone knowledgeable & kind enough to help me change this user name, so I can introduce myself to this forum as myself. I have some real stumper-type questions about how to change the name of an open-box Bluetooth keyboard on the iPad, and so forth.
Many thanks
Yours Aye,

RD Brew

Sent from my wife's former iPad using her iPF account

momlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
momlady said:
Is it only five devices per account? I remember seeing in either iTunes or the Apps Store that three computers could be authorised on one account, but if devices are limited as well, I've hit the wall......
Not that it is a problem <yet>; my wife got me a high-volume Classic a couple of years ago for a birthday or Christmas, so I got a 2nd-gen Touch for her; she loved it, so she got me a 3rd-gen Touch at the next opportunity, so I naturally went & got a 3G 64GB iPad for her, just 'cause. It became permanently affixed to her left arm, so this birthday, I decided to give my eyes a break, & I got her an iPod 2. So I inherited this one!
I did have sense enough to keep all of registered under the original account, so I can (and do) listen to Everlast's "Saving Grace" and Nelly/Timberland doing "Promiscuous" on every one of the devices; however; I am on here wring this, logged onto the iPF app under my wife's preferred user name, and while I could probably guess the password, I cannot find a place to change it, or change her user name (although I did manage to load her kitten onto the account as her picture.
Thanks in advance to anyone knowledgeable & kind enough to help me change this user name, so I can introduce myself to this forum as myself. I have some real stumper-type questions about how to change the name of an open-box Bluetooth keyboard on the iPad, and so forth.
Many thanks
Yours Aye,

RD Brew

P.S. When I tried to log into the forum online via Safari, the site indicated this username did not exist. Curiouser & more curiouser!

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Its not 5 devices per account, its 5 PC/Macs using the same account, the number of idevices connected to the same account is unlimited. However with the introduction of iOS5, you will only be able to share certain content (music, I believe) on upto 10 idevices.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score

if you had read thoroughly, this same thread, my reply in particular.....your question is answered before you even asked it.

for future reference, concerning your password issue, you should check a different thread about that, to see how you can resolve that, or make your own thread, mods don't like threads being hijacked.

my reply here might sound rude, but its not....just here to help 100%.

momlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poser said:
if you had read thoroughly, this same thread, my reply in particular.....your question is answered before you even asked it.

for future reference, concerning your password issue, you should check a different thread about that, to see how you can resolve that, or make your own thread, mods don't like threads being hijacked.

my reply here might sound rude, but its not....just here to help 100%.

My apologies; I thought I had read the thread thoroughly, but obviously not thoroughly enough - when I went back. I found the answer in your post between what bOObie had said & what RonKkuncie had said. I didn't taken your reply as rude at all - the comment re: password wasn't an attempt to hijack, or even a question, just a comment on what seemed strange behaviour; that being said, after using the search fn, I did think that this thread was the most appropriate one found on which to ask for some help on how to reconfigure this machine, which my wife has been using for ages, by getting out of this iPF account, for example, and getting my own....sorry if the verbosity of the post obfuscated my intent.
Yrs Aye,

R.D. Brew

Most reactions

Latest posts