What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TVOut with J/B

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not completely new to the jailbreak concept but chose to j/b my iPod Touch 2nd Gen only after the first big iOS update that left my particular model out in the cold.

The only thing I would want to j/b my iPad for would be to make use of the TVOut app which allows everything to display in a TV with the audio/video connector, not just those apps designed to do so. Particularly Notebooks for iPad.

Does anyone make use of this app/feature made available through jailbreaking? Does it work reasonably well? Given that it's the only thing that would really attract me to jailbreaking at the present moment, is it worth the bother?

P.S. I have the first gen iPad, 64GB wifi only, and I do have the audio/video cable already. The one with the composite video out, not the single yellow video out.

Thanks in advance. :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... There is two ways. Both with a jailbreak requirement.

1. Editing the k4ap.plist to enable it so it thinks it's doing what the iPad 2 does. (recommended)
2. Display out. Available from Cydia. Runs slower than method 1 and the resolution is worse.

Let me know which one you want to do.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... There is two ways. Both with a jailbreak requirement.

1. Editing the k4ap.plist to enable it so it thinks it's doing what the iPad 2 does. (recommended)
2. Display out. Available from Cydia. Runs slower than method 1 and the resolution is worse.

Let me know which one you want to do.

Well, given that there seems to be a price to be payed in the form of resolution quality, I would probable go with the first option. There appears to be an actual app called TVOut available through Cydia which, until your reply just now, I thought was the only way.... so.... I guess editing the k4ap.plist, which is not something with which I am familiar, but would be willing to study up on. I have a pretty big TV (61 inch LED) so resolution is a factor.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Well, given that there seems to be a price to be payed in the form of resolution quality, I would probable go with the first option. There appears to be an actual app called TVOut available through Cydia which, until your reply just now, I thought was the only way.... so.... I guess editing the k4ap.plist, which is not something with which I am familiar, but would be willing to study up on. I have a pretty big TV (61 inch LED) so resolution is a factor.

Alright, so. It looks like a lot but it really isn't.

1. Get ifile from Cydia.
2. Open ifile and go to system/library/coreservices/springboard.app
3. Scroll down to k4ap.plist.
4. Tap on k4ap and open it with the property list viewer.
5. Tap on capabilities.
6. Down in the bottom left tap on the + sign.
7. For the name type (no quotes) "display-mirroring" all lowercase.
8. Tap on type, right below the name.
9. Select "Boolean"
10. In the top right tap create.
11. You should see display-mirroring in the list. Slide the slider to on.
12. Tap done in the top right.
13. If a new file appears below the k4ap.plist that wasn't there before, just swipe and delete it.
Reboot and plug in! :)

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alright, so. It looks like a lot but it really isn't.

1. Get ifile from Cydia.
2. Open ifile and go to system/library/coreservices/springboard.app
3. Scroll down to k4ap.plist.
4. Tap on k4ap and open it with the property list viewer.
5. Tap on capabilities.
6. Down in the bottom left tap on the + sign.
7. For the name type (no quotes) "display-mirroring" all lowercase.
8. Tap on type, right below the name.
9. Select "Boolean"
10. In the top right tap create.
11. You should see display-mirroring in the list. Slide the slider to on.
12. Tap done in the top right.
13. If a new file appears below the k4ap.plist that wasn't there before, just swipe and delete it.
Reboot and plug in! :)

Ok, this is str8 forward enough. So, just to be clear, the end result should be that when I plug my iPad into my audio/video cable connector thingy to my TV, I will get iPad on screen on the TV no matter what I am doing or app which is running? Yes? :)

P.S. In the past I have used Fugu, not iFile. Does it have to be iFile?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Ok, this is str8 forward enough. So, just to be clear, the end result should be that when I plug my iPad into my audio/video cable connector thingy to my TV, I will get iPad on screen on the TV no matter what I am doing or app which is running? Yes? :)

P.S. In the past I have used Fugu, not iFile. Does it have to be iFile?

It will display everything you see unless an app has the tv out function already enabled.
And I would use ifile, it is easier and my instructions are for ifile. And ifile is free so no loss.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will display everything you see unless an app has the tv out function already enabled.
And I would use ifile, it is easier and my instructions are for ifile. And ifile is free so no loss.

Ah..... understood. I just reread your instructions which I now see seem to make it clear that iFile is running on my actual iPad, not a program on my Mac. Do I have this correct? Because if that is the case, that is better. Fugu was sometimes a bit of a pain and it means being tethered to an extent to my Mac to make things happen which is.... less than optimal.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Ah..... understood. I just reread your instructions which I now see seem to make it clear that iFile is running on my actual iPad, not a program on my Mac. Do I have this correct? Because if that is the case, that is better. Fugu was sometimes a bit of a pain and it means being tethered to an extent to my Mac to make things happen which is.... less than optimal.

Ifile is an app on the iPad from Cydia. You can do this with a Mac, but it adds another level of complexity. :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks for the great instructions but uhhhhmmmm.....not sure where you get your file from ;) but mine cost $4....:D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Thanks for the great instructions but uhhhhmmmm.....not sure where you get your file from ;) but mine cost $4....:D

It has a free and paid version.
I used the free version, then decided that I really liked it so I bought it.
I didn't get it illegally!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:

It has a free and paid version.
I used the free version, then decided that I really liked it so I bought it.
I didn't get it illegally!

I know...just messin' with ya..:p
Thanks again....

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so finished jailbreaking the iPad with RedSn0w and then followed the instructions to the letter. Yeah, the iFile cost four bucks, but whatever. Totally negligible given how much easier it was to get where I wanted to get within the iPad than with Fugu.

Everything was precisely where you said it would be so I found everything likity-split. After sliding "on" the display-mirroring capability that I created (boolean, of course) and then getting rid of the extra k4ap.plist file that showed up and rebooting... still nothing. :(

I tried connecting to the old boob-tube and still did not get my apps to display on the screen. Did I maybe miss a step or something?

Most reactions

Latest posts