What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn off App Notice

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn off the notice that pops up at least twice every time I come to this site notifying me of your app? I don't want an app for forums or news pages or any number of other items and frankly this SPAM is annoying as hell.

I can change browsers and hide my iPad but should I really have to do that to visit your forum?:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting that you get this every time. I use Safari to visit the site and it pops up - I guess - about one time in twenty visits. Clearly something strange is happening here. I will inform Admin and see if they can trace the problem.

Tim

Fanie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem not limited to this forum only

Interesting that you get this every time. I use Safari to visit the site and it pops up - I guess - about one time in twenty visits. Clearly something strange is happening here. I will inform Admin and see if they can trace the problem.

Tim

Tim,

The issue is not limited to his forum only, Tapatalk supports more than 20,000 forums and whenever you link to any of the supported forums from your iDevice, Tapatalk invites you to use the app instead of the default forum page.
I installed Tapatalk on my iPad and later removed it but alas, I am pestered by the nagbox ever so often which nagging started even before installing Tapatalk.

In my opinion, this is indeed unsolicited spam allowed by the OS to pester you whenever you access one of the Tapatalk supported forums.
The matter should be taken up with Apple as Tapatalk is exploiting some "hole" in the OS which allows for this - as I said - I received the prompts even before installing the app.

Unfortunately I can not post a link to Tapatalk as my post-count does not allow for URL's at this time...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - thanks for this explanation. I'm sure that Admin are very sensitive to anything that might turn off people from visiting a Forum, so perhaps they will take it up with the Developer. For sure, it's too aggressive!!

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a hole in the OS, but a notice put up by the website through the extension the site owner installed in the forum software.

When your browser identifies itself as on an iPad, you get a popup window in the browser.

Nothing to do with Apple or iOS.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation, so I guess Admin could do something about this then...

Tim

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in total agreement with the tapa talk pop ups , they are very annoying

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that you should have to do this, but....

When I use a different browser (Atomic Web, in my case) and I've set the "Identify Browser As" button to be Safari Desktop- I don't get that stoooopid pop-up.

And I used to get it All. The. Time. Now, never with the set-up I described above.

It's one workaround until "they" can figure out how to tell the developers that this behavior is more a hindrance/annoyance than a help.

Marilyn

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just read a note in the tapatalk forums that said the popup is optional and actually must be installed and enabled in the forum software...

Talk to your forum admins...

-t

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a hole in the OS, but a notice put up by the website through the extension the site owner installed in the forum software.

When your browser identifies itself as on an iPad, you get a popup window in the browser.

Nothing to do with Apple or iOS.

-t

Yes, I appreciate that explanation also, thanks.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not that you should have to do this, but....

When I use a different browser (Atomic Web, in my case) and I've set the "Identify Browser As" button to be Safari Desktop- I don't get that stoooopid pop-up.

And I used to get it All. The. Time. Now, never with the set-up I described above.

It's one workaround until "they" can figure out how to tell the developers that this behavior is more a hindrance/annoyance than a help.

Marilyn

Good one Marilyn.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, yes you did.

However, there is confusion over who controls this pop-up, the overall developer of the software (in which case, no one here can help - including the forum owners) or a check box that's missing in the forum settings.

Since the general consensus was that there was nothing an individual could do, we offered advice as to our workarounds.

Sorry if we appeared to have ignored your original question/comment.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts