What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trooper iPad ClamCase channels 'Star Wars'

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trooper iPad ClamCase channels 'Star Wars' | Crave - CNET

This case looks pretty cool!

How "Star Wars" can you get without actually paying George Lucas? ClamCase may be testing the Force with the new limited-edition Trooper case for iPad.

The Trooper logo design looks mighty familiar. The case color is described as "imperial white." The black hinge, keyboard, and rubber feet provide "intergalactic contrast." It's targeted at unspecified collectors and fans. It's unclear whether Lucas' lawyers will be fans, though.

Clearly, this is an iPad keyboard case for Stormtroopers. It will accessorize seamlessly with your imperial-army armor. This should be a brisk seller among members of the 501st Legion.

The Trooper is the first in ClamCase's Inspired Series line of limited-edition cases that will give buyers options other than basic black. It has some familiar specs that include a hard polycarbonate shell, an integrated Bluetooth keyboard, and the ability to transform into a stand.

Pricing is the same as for a regular ClamCase, coming in at $149. You don't have to have light sabers and Millennium Falcon models at home to be interested in the case. The Trooper could be a nice accessory for white iPad 2 owners that simply want to reflect the alabaster look in their choice of case.

If you should choose to use it to prop up your next viewing of "The Empire Strikes Back" and to write "Star Wars" fan fiction, that is entirely up to you

dsamuel24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought this case (the "Trooper Edition" of the Clamcase for iPad 2) not at all b/c of the connection to Star Wars, or the marketing in that direction, but b/c I thought the white/black contrast was cool. I would have much preferred a BLACK case primarily with white accents over a white case with black accents, but I like the Trooper better than either the all black or all white choices.

Much more importantly than color or "Limited Edition" bullcrap is the fact that this Clamcase DOES NOT STAY CHARGED for even a day, much less the 90 hours of use or 100 days of standby claimed on the clamcase.com website. THIS IS THE 2nd CLAMCASE I HAVE OWNED, and BOTH have been defective and had MAJOR issues, the first one after about 45 days of use (I bought it used off CL, so no warranty from Clamcase) and this one right out of the box. No hold a charge = no value as a bluetooth keyboard, and it's obvious that $150 is not fair for a case/stand without the use of the BT keyboard. There are other reviews/comments around the interwebs that echo my experience. I sure hope this is fix-able and not the fatal flaw of an otherwise incredible product that is head and shoulders above anything else out there in terms of a multi-function case/stand/keyboard that allows users to do with their iPads what no other keyboard/case allows. But with a measly 4 month warranty, it should be clear that that company does NOT expect these things to last very long. A MANUFACTURER's WARRANTY IS NOTHING MORE THAN THEIR STATEMENT OF CONFIDENCE IN THEIR PRODUCT. Clamcase's confidence SUCKS!! A year warranty is the MINIMUM that I would expect from this type of device, especially at such a high price.

But the design of the Clamcase is unmatched (which is why I bought another one), so I do hope they get this charging issue sorted out and working like it is promised.

camaroz1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks interesting. It does look like a mac book. I like the black one more though, as I often am using my ipad in less than clean room situations.

fishcube

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered one today and got free overnight shipping. Bought white case to go with my white ipad2. I sure hope they fix the charging issue!

dsamuel24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still in "wait and see" mode...

After a week of non-stop charging issues (11/12 - 11/17), having my brand new Trooper version ClamCase for iPad2 run out of juice within 6-8 hours of a full overnight charge every single time, I got an RMA from the company and sent it back. It was rec'd by them 11/22 and they shipped a new one out to me the next day. I should be receiving the replacement tomorrow or Wed. All I can say is, I sure hope this next one charges. We'll see...

SirJosue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kelvintwc said:
The ClamCase guys informed me to wait for one that will fit better for the new iPad

I talked to the Clamcase guy also and he told me that they will not be making a different one for the New iPad since it fits perfectly in the iPad 2 Clamcase. Its already available to purchase on clamcase.com for the New iPad but there is no difference between the 2 models besides the packaging they come in.

Im going to post a quote from another tread I have up, read it for more information. thanks

SirJosue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SirJosue said:
I guess no one has actually tried it yet, I called Clamcase and the guy told me that the ones on thier website for the NEW ipad are the same exact ones as the ipad 2 versions, he said the only difference was the packaging and labeling on the box it comes in.
They already shipped mine out and I should be getting it tomorrow so I'll post an update after I try it out. thanks for the responses guys. I'm new to the threads..

P.S When I got my email confrimation after ordering, it states the following:

ClamCase iPad 2 Keyboard Case - Trooper
Ships: Next Business Day
Color: White/Black (compatible with 2nd & 3rd generation iPads only!)

UPDATE!
I just received my new Clamcase!
I took it out of the box and was completely amazed of the High Quality and sleek style. I am very picky about products I buy and I have to say i give this 10 out of 10! rating.
Then I said lets do the fit test.
Does the New iPad fit in the iPad 2 Clamcase? The answer is YES!!!!!
It fits Perfectly without having to bend the clips or modify the case in anyway!
I thought since it was a tad bit thicker than maybe it wouldn't fit but there is plenty of room and still maintains a snug fit! As a matter of fact, when I placed it in the Clamcase for the very first time, I forgot that I had a Invisible shield Body protector on the back! (its like a screen protector but for the body of the iPad) and actually makes the New iPad a little thicker since it is made of a thin layer of vinyl! And to top if off I even have a screen protector on the front also!
I would highly recommend this case to anyone that has been looking into buying a all in one keyboard case! 5 Star Rating from me!

Again, the New iPad with a Invisible Shield vinyl body protector and a front screen protector fits in the Clamcase for iPad 2 without bending the clips or modifying the case in any way! It still aligns perfectly when closed!

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. thanks

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE!
I took it out of the box and was completely amazed of the High Quality and sleek style. I am very picky about products I buy and I have to say i give this 10 out of 10! rating.
It fits Perfectly without having to bend the clips or modify the case in anyway!
I thought since it was a tad bit thicker than maybe it wouldn't fit but there is plenty of room and still maintains a snug fit! As a matter of fact, when I placed it in the Clamcase for the very first time, I forgot that I had a Invisible shield Body protector on the back! (its like a screen protector but for the body of the iPad) and actually makes the New iPad a little thicker since it is made of a thin layer of vinyl! And to top if off I even have a screen protector on the front also!
I would highly recommend this case to anyone that has been looking into buying a all in one keyboard case! 5 Star Rating from me!

Again, the New iPad with a Invisible Shield vinyl body protector and a front screen protector fits in the Clamcase for iPad 2 without bending the clips or modifying the case in any way! It still aligns perfectly when closed!

Does this case put the new iPad to sleep when closed? I was curious if it had this smart feature or if it does/doesn't do it at all for any iPad. I ordered one and didn't see anything on the site to denote this. Not a deal breaker, but nice to know if it does/doesn't do this. Since there is an area around the iPad and case when closed, I wasn't sure if there was this smart feature employed in the case. I didn't see anything on their site to denote of it does/doesn't have this feature, so I am guessing it doesn't but I thought I'd ask!

wbaehr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SirJosue said:
UPDATE!

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. I got the Trooper last Nov, and did not hold up at all. It started with small crack by the head phone jack and eventually spread across the whole top of the case. Currently held together with duct tape. Also the little rubber inserts fell off too. Very disappointed after all the positive reviews. I cannot recommend this product to anyone. Good luck with yours......

SirJosue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Todd M said:
Does this case put the new iPad to sleep when closed? I was curious if it had this smart feature or if it does/doesn't do it at all for any iPad. I ordered one and didn't see anything on the site to denote this. Not a deal breaker, but nice to know if it does/doesn't do this. Since there is an area around the iPad and case when closed, I wasn't sure if there was this smart feature employed in the case. I didn't see anything on their site to denote of it does/doesn't have this feature, so I am guessing it doesn't but I thought I'd ask!

yes it puts the New iPad to sleep also!

SirJosue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wbaehr said:
I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. I got the Trooper last Nov, and did not hold up at all. It started with small crack by the head phone jack and eventually spread across the whole top of the case. Currently held together with duct tape. Also the little rubber inserts fell off too. Very disappointed after all the positive reviews. I cannot recommend this product to anyone. Good luck with yours......

That sucks, you should of reported it under warranty, mine is working great and I love it, no cracks, all rubber padding is still securely in place, maybe they updated the case materials after you purchased it, I have no complaints. Iv'e been using it every day.

Most reactions

Latest posts