What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trojan on iPad

Djmarion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i think my ipad has a trojan.. My antivirus detecs one, im using windows 7. The location of the trojan downloader was detected here (C:Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup) there are tons of trojan detected in this backup folder. So does these means everytime my ipad syncs into the computer it gets infected? How am i going to remove it?

These are the filenames of the trojan detected on the backup folder

containerfile:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\1b980eaa4f8604a3b54340d3004376dd5d34ebe6

containerfile:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\70b5cb07dc5505cbd76317de5de69bb8972b7583

containerfile:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\af60e0a5f9e3a69d85f04aa5d052a5091d0a0078
file:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\1b980eaa4f8604a3b54340d3004376dd5d34ebe6->document.exe
file:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\70b5cb07dc5505cbd76317de5de69bb8972b7583->document.exe
file:C:\Users\Dj Marion\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\076ebac8b9a2a8e719d53d354c630e9335ebcaca\af60e0a5f9e3a69d85f04aa5d052a5091d0a0078->document.exe

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless your iPad is jailbroken, this is most likely just false hits from your antivirus program. Even then the chances are slim to none.

False reports happen. Once I installed an antivirus program that insisted that the previous antivirus (still installed but not running) was a trojan. Both good realiable developers, so definitly not trojans, either of them.

The file names and location are normal for a iTunes backup of your device.

You should tell your anti-virus program to ignore that folder.

OP
D

Djmarion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sir, my iPad is jailbroken and my anti virus is microsoft security essentials. Maybe u were right and i hope my ipad was not infected, because right now i can't connect this device on my computer. too scared for my pc to get infected. Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I noticed my virus software said it stooped two viruses yesterday. Both were located in my iTunes folder. Do you know what this is about? Has anyone else had this problem?

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking that is definitely an error. I doubt very highly that an iPad, iPhone, is capable of getting a virus.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sir, my iPad is jailbroken and my anti virus is microsoft security essentials. Maybe u were right and i hope my ipad was not infected, because right now i can't connect this device on my computer. too scared for my pc to get infected. Thank you so much!

Well, I'd probably start by having the Windows computer checked for any malware other than what is used on the machine - suggest a visit to the Free Computer Help : Cyber Tech Help forum - register and go to their 'Malware Removal Forum'; directions are there regarding leaving a 'Hijack This' scan as starters - the trained professionals will likely be able to sort out your issues, and the service is free - I've been a member there for quite a while.

Good luck - :)

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
At least not yet.
True, I wonder if this will change once OTA updates, and downloads come into play. I suppose time will tell...

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just stumbled onto this ~ from Tim, our Resident Know Everything Mod.:)

No - it's impossible - see below...

Apple took the decision to 'sandbox' the programs (apps) in the iPad. This means that apps have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is *absolutely* controlled by the operating system (iOS). So if you tried to write a 'virus' program for the iPad it would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That, inevitably, has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do. In Windows, for example, applications (programs) can interact and this can be very useful. So some (clever) programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction (effectively 'jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available). They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

But don't worry - a 'regular' (non jail broken) iPad is not vunerable to any 'viruses' that a deviant programmer might write to 'infect' a jail broken iPad. So your IT manager need have no worries - if your iPads are not 'jailbroken' they are absolutely safe from viruses.

Basically, if you accept the restrictions that Apple place on your iPad and don't jail break, you're completely safe - a virus cannot 'infect' you.

Additionally, any 'app' that a normal (non-jail broken) iPad can download will have been thoroughly checked and approved by Apple, so could not contain any malevolent code...

OK - I'll get 'hacked' by the iPad 'jail breakers' - sorry for the 'pun' but, basically, you're safe.

Apple

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I noticed my virus software said it stooped two viruses yesterday. Both were located in my iTunes folder. Do you know what this is about? Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you downloading and importing any outside movies into iTunes. If you are getting anything from a torrent, you're at risk.

You might want to do a malware scan. Malware has been known to sneak past virus protection by messing with it's definitions. But that also seems unlikely.

Otherwise, no idea.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Are you downloading and importing any outside movies into iTunes. If you are getting anything from a torrent, you're at risk.

You might want to do a malware scan. Malware has been known to sneak past virus protection by messing with it's definitions. But that also seems unlikely.

Otherwise, no idea.

No movies, no torrents. Did scan and it showed two iTunes files with "viruses". I did have to restore my computer two days ago because there was a virus and just now I tried to connect my computer to iTunes and it is saying iTunes can,t run because required files are missing! It said to reinstall which i tried to do and I,m getting the same error message!

Thoughts??

Update, I clicked that message and it is still loading new files from the new installation. I'll keep trying and send another update.

Last edited:

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, it reinstalled iTunes and everything seems to be fine. I am running another virus check now.
The two affected files were: \iTunes\iTunes media\mobile applications\local 1.1.0.ipa
The other one is the same until the last part which reads \NYPL biblion 1.01.ipa

This is referencing the new NY Public Library app!

Thoughts?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello NYHorsewoman - you've kind of hijacked another poster's thread - always best to start your own thread to avoid confusion - :)

But, please return to the first page and see my reference to a computer site that is excellent in checking your computer for malware; often the programs on your computer will not catch all of the possible 'nasties' - I'm a long time member and have used their 'Malware Removal' sub-forum several times myself.

Good luck and I hope all is resolved quickly and simply - :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As before, virus checkers do make mistakes. In this case you've covered all the ground. The virus check should give you the option to ignore those files. Do so.

Most reactions