What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with ipad

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just returned from a two week cruise to Norway starting from Rotterdam. Going through security was not a problem going,just told them I had a ipad in my carry-on in USA and Holland,returning was a different story with security at Detroit airport,told them about the ipad and it went through,then some eager AH made me take it out of the bag and made me go through again,telling me they had to check behind my case to see if I was hiding anything,I asked the guy what could I possibly hide behind the case that they could not find on the first screen check. He then asked me to empty everything from my pockets again,he even went through my bill-fold checking in-between the bills and credit cards and asking me did I have anything sharp in my bill-fold.I told him the only thing sharp was the edge of my credit card,that got me a rare look from the dummy and he then said "you are now clear"A real Dick Tracy showing off his power. As for my International 3G plan from AT&T it was a bust,as soon as I left Holland for Norway I had no signal and thats the way it was in every town I visited,the places were so barren, and no towers to be seen on the mountain tops, even the ships Wi-Fi was not much better, the laptop people were crying the blues because of no signal. So bottom line it cost me $14.95 for the the domestic plan (Which you must have before you can purchase the International Plan) which cost $24.95,so I paid $39.90 to carry a brick around with me.:D

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having spent more than three decades

as a federal agent flying all around the world and being sensitive to security issues, it never does any good to be a smart alleck to airport security folks. They do not handle that well and it will usually buy you a secondary search, sometimes even a personal interview on the other side of the airport.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went into and returned from the US recently. Each time I asked if I should take out iPad and each time was told I should. I did and had no problems.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very supportive of all security and police at airports to include shipping ports but this guy went over the top with my bill-fold. I have been involved in top level security for over 30 years and never joke about it,I also make at least six airline trips a year but this is a first for checking inside my bill-fold and rifleing through the bills. I also have to be wanded everytime because of the steel in my legs,plus this time I went through the new machine they had,and I say again this guy was over the top for some reason. And in my humble opinion some of the people they hire in these jobs have no idea what you can use as a weapon,and yes even a sharp credit card.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as a federal agent flying all around the world and being sensitive to security issues, it never does any good to be a smart alleck to airport security folks. They do not handle that well and it will usually buy you a secondary search, sometimes even a personal interview on the other side of the airport.

not to be mean about this for i understand the need for securitry when flying and it seams that other countrys seam to do well in that area when dealing with public ..but there got to be a better way to screen people and hire smarter people to do the screening ..

for i fly a lot for my work and have run into some of the dumbest people and some of the smartest people working there at the tsa and even the smart ones who work there say the same thing about some of the dumb ones when it comes to be able to have a little more common sense when dealing with things..

i have a pin in my right and left ankles along with pins in my left leg from the military service and a few bumps in my life that came with the years of working in my life ..

when i flew a couple of times after going through the metal detector .i have set off the unit before and i explain to them about the pins ..they will ran the handwand over me and it hit on the pins .. most time i can show them the ankle areas of the feet and that is enough for them to say ok and not do a body seach ..for most people go hey that ok and say have a nice flight ..

i ran into a guy in the maimi area that had to be the village idiot for i had go with another guy and wait for the on duty medical guy to see of the scars and pins where real or not and i had to show them the leg with it surgery scars on it ..

when the on duty medical personal came into the room and i showed him the leg.. for i had to guess what this guy was for he was the one asking me the questions about the leg and how it happen

it went like this ..

broken your leg in three places on left leg how did it happen .. it was from the military from a jump that went wrong in the middle of the night training drop that we where doing and you left and right ankle and foot areas how did those happen ..

yes sir i was hit by a drunk driver in 99 ..

did it hurt bad

yes sir ..i can tell you when the weather is going to change

he was smileing at that comment and said have a nice day

yes sir..

the other guy came back to the guy and was looking at the guy like you are a dumb---- and told me to have a nice flight and i was on my way ..for the other guy was there when i did the whole why did you want a full search of this person when you could see the scars running up the leg

i ran into another guy comeing back from boston area for basically haveing two razor in my overnight carry on..i shave my head so i use a electric razor for that and a regular razor for the face.never could get that close shave with electric razor ..and the guy was asking my why the two razor when his boss came up looked at the two razor set up and told me i was free to go and explained to the young man that when you shave your head most guys use two diff razors and two diff types of shaveing cream for he was explaining to the guy that the head is a very sensitive area to shave and you use two diff shaveing products for the area..he was also a head shaver to ..

we set for a min or two talking about the diff products that we have used in shaveing of the old head ..then we said our good byes and i left for the gate area to catch my flight home....

i ran into one lady who worked at tsa and she was smart as a whip and was on the ball when flying through windy city.. she had me screen and looked over in less than 30 secs and was moveing on to the next person and she was catching all typles of things when comeing through the checkpoint ..she was on the ball and made the screening system look easly and fast ..

i ran into on the way back through the windy city where i was changeing planes to come back home ..she had ask me about my meds in less than a 1 min time frame she had gone through my bag and was asking me about the meds and what i was takeing them for ..

ran into a guy who could not understand some reason why i was keeping my diabetic meds with me at all times ..for i have to take the pill if my sugar level gets to high ..for i have the complete travel kit in my carrying on bag of the oral meds and checker and other medical supplies i need to keep myself from not getting sick when my sugar level spike after eating something ..for iam a border line diabetic if i can not control my sugar levels i will need to go on the shots as for now i can control with eating and walking a couple of hours a day ..

he was like why the diff medical items in the bag when the other tsa agent asked me a simple question and was like you need to learn the something about diabetic people for they have to have there meds and gear with them ..

the guy asked me where was my blood sugar level needs to be at all times ..i told 110 area for me i told him and he said what happens at the level of 300 and above ..i told you go into a coma and you could die .. he goes have a nice day and i was free to go ..

the whole thing is there is a way to screen passage a lot better ..

do like the U.S Marshell service does with con air .the passages are screen before they are getting on the plane and then moved in a safe way ..there is better ways to deal with the threat ..along with the personal should be held to a higher standard than they are held to now..

or do like the Israel serucity personal do at the air port ..but the tsa needs to go for they are really agency that needs to hire better people or have a better training program than they have ..

i seen better screneing at a federal courthouse than at the airport

Patspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came back from Mexico and never mentioned my Ipad at security and had no problem in either country.

Gabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I traveled with my iPad twice and didn't have any problems.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is the problem after nine years the tsa has not grown into a professional agencylike it should have over the nine years it been in operation.. it still like a bunch of kids who has not reach it goals. yet.

instead of hire just anyone ..they need to do like the other small federal agencys do and send the personal to FLETC in Ga area to do a basic classroom set up to get the training along with haveing a hard look at the hireing of the personal and screen out the bad ones from the good ones ..have a set of standards that they have to meet or they are gone..they must be held to a higher standard as other agencys out there when working with the security and safety of the american people ..

along with hireing good people in the first place and getting rid of the numbnuts that they have hired for every good one they have hired it seam that they have four numbnuts personal ..to me that stupid when you should have a little bit of commen sense when it comes to dealing with the american public..

i understand that diff entry points in the country and beening a total hard ---- on me when iam comeing back into the country after beening out of the country for i have watched some pretty stupid person think that they are going to be bringing drugs into the country and not get caught.. ..along with a basic fact of when buying your tickets now days there is a simple way to a quick check on the person after they have gotten there tickets...but that what they are at times when it comes out in the news paper when they are dealing with ..

for some of this places that we fly in and out and they are beening a lot like dealing with little childern at times when traveling ..how many times did one airport fail it test it failed 20 times out of the 22 times that allowed a personal to get a bomb or a gun onto the plane. .. how many thefts have been done by tsa personal a lot ..how many times have the tsa been in the press in a good way not a lot ..a lot of bad press about the guys..how many kids are on the no fly list along with dead people and a v.p on the no fly list..come on there got to be a better way of doing the job of this numbnuts personal who work there..

so it time to get rid of the agency or put a professional unit in place or hire a better class of private sucurity to work the airport sceening set up ..

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

One of the airlines in Australia has signs at the check INS that say "We take jokes about security seriously."

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This reminds me of an exercise I was on in the states a few years back, we had no idea when we were actually going to be coming back to the UK - but went through immigration, and handed over passport, military ID and NATO travel order (which along with military ID is good enough for military personnel to travel with in NATO member countries - the passport is just being polite)... So the guy behind the desk looks at it all, presumably only normally being used to tourists, and asks me what I'm in the country for.... Thinking the travel order and the military ID might have gave it away, but explained what I was going to be doing and what units I was going to be at; then asks me how long i'm staying for, to which I reply "for as long as I'm told to be - I don't know - that travel order is dated until *****, so that should be a pretty good indication". He then goes off about not having a return flight and a load of other crap.... I just said "don't worry - I don't want to stay!". I didn't realise it was possible to look so confused and offended at the same time :D

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This reminds me of an exercise I was on in the states a few years back, we had no idea when we were actually going to be coming back to the UK - but went through immigration, and handed over passport, military ID and NATO travel order (which along with military ID is good enough for military personnel to travel with in NATO member countries - the passport is just being polite)... So the guy behind the desk looks at it all, presumably only normally being used to tourists, and asks me what I'm in the country for.... Thinking the travel order and the military ID might have gave it away, but explained what I was going to be doing and what units I was going to be at; then asks me how long i'm staying for, to which I reply "for as long as I'm told to be - I don't know - that travel order is dated until *****, so that should be a pretty good indication". He then goes off about not having a return flight and a load of other crap.... I just said "don't worry - I don't want to stay!". I didn't realise it was possible to look so confused and offended at the same time :D

you where not flying into the new york airports area and if you where iam sorry ..:rolleyes:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Orlando actually (honestly.. It was for work!) - on a Saturday. Possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever... Especially as our boss was trying to get promoted so booked us all economy when we're entitled to fly premium economy. *grumble*. Hours on a plane with a bunch of kids excited about seeing Micky mouse. Great.

They weren't too bad though.. Just a little slow perhaps! But they've got a job to do at the end of the day and I understand that; I just doubt that illegal immigration from the UK into the US is that much of a problem ;)

Most reactions