What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

traveling in Spain

Maria85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the site and my ipad2, so I'll apologize up front for using incorrect terminology...
I'll be taking my Ipad 2, wi-fi and 3G to Spain next week it's.
I plan to activate the 3G so I can use it in Spain, but have no clue how to go about it.My plan is through AT&T.
I know they have an international plan, but someone told me to get a sims card ??? when I get there through Venephone.
If I go through AT&T with the international plan will I be able to use it freely in SPain and the south of France?
Would I get better coverage buying a SIM card , or whatever it's called in Spain?
Any input is appreciated. - Thanks

mander1212

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently returned from Spain and relied on Wi-Fi the whole a time I was there and had no trouble. Of course I limited my use to when we were in the hotels. We were in Spain, Italy and Greece (not France) and Wi-Fi worked well. Of all the places we were in, it seemed as though Spain had Wi-Fi in most places. There is an app that helps you locate Wi-Fi hotspots if you are out of the hotel.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your international plan with AT&T will work fine in Spain but the only problem is going to be the cost. Because AT&T is a US network and you would be using your AT&T SIM card in Spain AT&T will charge you for 'roaming' - i.e. operating on another operator's network. It will work out very expensive.

As you suggested, you can purchase a SIM for your iPad when you get to Spain at any one of a wide variety of mobile 'phone shops. For the iPad you need a microSIM, but they should be familiar with that. If you purchase a microSIM you'll be on a pre-pay tariff and it will work out very much cheaper than roaming.

Here is a list of the Spanish operators and their coverage areas plus links to their websites. You might want to check out whether there is good coverage in the areas you plan to visit and choose an operator appropriately.

GSM Coverage Maps | Spain

However, as the previous poster pointed out, WiFi is very widely available - in hotels, bars, shopping malls, restaurants, some public transport, airports, coffee shops, etc - much of it free or, if not, very reasonably priced.

Tim

OP
M

Maria85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input - I may just rely on the wi-hi.-Maria

Most reactions

Latest posts