What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring pdf's already downloaded into library onto good reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

conniepiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to this forum and have a question. Does anyone know how to download or transfer a pdf file to good reader that has already been downloaded into the library?
Thanks,
conniepiano

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

As far as the PDF, where did you get it originally?

OP
C

conniepiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdf to reader

It was on my husband's original computer which is not an apple.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your iPad is registered to your husbands computer thru iTunes, then you need to attach your iPad to the computer and open iTunes and select your iPad in the left hand column. A Summary screen will open, select the Apps tab at the top of the screen and you will see a listing of all of your apps. Toward the bottom of the page you will see "File Sharing", look for the Goodreader app and click on it. Now on the right hand side where it says "GoodReader Documents", you will see an "Add.." button, click on the "Add.." button and search for the pdf's that you want and select them. They will be added to GoodReader immediately. Watch the box at the top of the screen where the apple icon usually is, and you will see them transferred to your iPad, look quick, it only takes a couple of seconds.

MayR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same question- no one has answered yet

Does anyone know how to download or transfer a pdf file to good reader that has already been downloaded into the library?
Thanks,
conniepiano

I have this same question. All the responses so far give instruction on how to get a PDF on the iPad. That's not what she's asking to do.

I have a PDF already downloaded on my iPad and stored in iBooks. I also have goodreader installed on my iPad. I want to open THAT PDF in goodreader so I can make edits.

Is this possible to do directly? Or do I have to transfer another copy of the PDF fresh to open in goodreader?

Reaction score
iBooks has very limited export functionality and is missing the Open In... feature. Therefore there is no direct way to open a PDF from iBooks in another app.

On work-around would be to open the PDF in iBooks, tap once to activate the controls, then sent it as an email to yourself and finally from Mail open it in the app of your choice.

Image for exporting instructions:

Attachments

• image-3821349206.png
    image-3821349206.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,198
Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
iBooks has very limited export functionality and is missing the Open In... feature. Therefore there is no direct way to open a PDF from iBooks in another app.

On work-around would be to open the PDF in iBooks, tap once to activate the controls, then sent it as an email to yourself and finally from Mail open it in the app of your choice.

You are correct. Another way is to sync iBooks to iTunes on a computer and copy file from the ipad to the computer and then back to GoodReader using the apps tab.

For your protection Apple heavily sandboxes data on the iPad to prevent a 'Russian' hacker from emptying your bank account using a rouge application. If you don't like it you can always get an Android tablet (only 17 true Android tablet applications exist today compared to Apple's 65,000 tablet apps!).

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score

When I tap once on the ibooks pdf and then tap the move to arrow or what ever you call it, ONLY the Print option comes up, no option to email the pdf from ibooks. Is there a setting I've missed?

Thanks.

Jack

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
only 17 true Android tablet applications exist today compared to Apple's 65,000 tablet apps!

Oh come on. That is just twisting the truth.

I have an android tablet - 1024x600 resolution - and all android apps I tried (and use) work fine at that resolution and that was many more than 17.

What is "true tablet app" supposed to mean anyway?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I tap once on the ibooks pdf and then tap the move to arrow or what ever you call it, ONLY the Print option comes up, no option to email the pdf from ibooks. Is there a setting I've missed?

Thanks.

Jack

Jack open your PDF in iBooks to read it and top left there should be the iPad Arrow to Share. Tap on it and there is an option to email the PDF. Before you do that turn on AIRPLANE MODE in SETTINGS as we don't want to waste time in actually sending an email.

Anyway you may email it to somebody as long as there are no DRM issues like having bought the PDF from the iTunes store. Apple is not going to let you share an item they can sell someone else! Email it the PDF and you will get a warning to turn off AirPlane mode. Ignor that and iOS will tell you it placed your email in your OUTBOX for later.

Open email and under your account name you will see OUTBOX in horizontal view. Tap on it and you will see your pending email. Tap on the PDF as you would if the email had gone and come again and select OPEN IN.

After you have transferred that attachment from iBooks to something like GoodReader go back to Mail and delete your message in OUTBOX. Turn OFF airplane mode.

You more or less defeated the need to actually email something away form the iPad just to transfer it to a local app in the iPad SANDBOX.

Does this help you?

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks It must be the particular PDF - no mail option but another PDF did show email option. Funny, the PDF in question is apple's iPad manual! Apparently they don't want you to email it. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts