What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer photos from laptop to ipad

Stargate1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a 63 year old female in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I got an ipad a month ago to use especially for downloading books and searching the web when sailing and when traveling to the West Coast to visit our sons and their families. I've joined this forum to ask how to transfer photos from Picasa on my laptop to my ipad. We have a new granddaughter and pictures are what it's all about right now.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

There are several ways to transfer photos to the iPad

If you have only a few photos to send, then probably the easiest way is to email them to yourself and collect them as attachments on the iPad. Once you have received them, you can touch the screen and the iPad will offer you the option to save the photos.

If you like using iTunes to synch your iPad, then you can transfer all your photos at one go using the sync operation - it's certainly the fastest way for large numbers of photos.

If you have the optional camera connection kit you can transfer them directly from your camera or an SD Memory card

You can use a third-party app, such as GoodReader, which will enable you to send them directly from your PC or laptop to the iPad using WiFi.

If you have access to cloud storage, such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk or DropBox, you can transfer the pictures from your PC to the cloud storage and then download them from the cloud to your iPad.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Redsail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
downloading pictures and syncing

I recommend you call Apple support soon. You have up to 90 days free support. After that it will cost you.

Your computer must have ITunes, which is free download from Apple.com. As others have said, there are possibly other programs to use, but I don't see the need. Itunes works fine. It's loaded on your home computer to manage the downloading, (Sync), not the iPad; it already has it.

I'm very savy about what I consider normal computer operations, Microsoft Word, Outlook, (email), internet etc... however downloading pictures from my Dell to my iPad could not be done without 2 phone calls to Apple help.

They use the term "Sync", which I interpret as downloading. Everything, (folders containing pictures), must be checked and REMAIN checked in Itunes whenever you connect the iPad to the computer; and everytime you save/download new pictures, those folders in Itunes will/must remain checked. Kind of odd, but I think I know why they do this. I reckon they think the pictures will change in the future so the folders can be re-synced?? Seems like an unnecessary step, but they didn't ask me. :)

In addition, assuming you will or have downloaded some "Apps" to your iPad, you'll need to configure Itunes to keep them in "Sync" also. Very simple to do, but NOT intuitive until you get a grasp of logic they use when designing the software. You click on the Apps link at the top, and make sure the box is checked. Why it is not defaulted to be checked is curious. Think like the picture folders, keep the Apps checked. You may grasp this AFTER calling help. My experience with calling for help was NOT as bad as calliing for help with other products, like Dell. You'll get good English speaking technicians that are knowledgeable about the product when calling Apple help.

Apple help at 800-275-2273

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts