What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer of photos and music from PC to IPAD2

christine.dancer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am posting this question again, hopefully in the correct forum this time, I am a novice. Can anyone give me advice on how to transfer (lots!) photos and music files from my PC to my new IPAD2, (I haven't purchased it yet, as I am weighing up the pros and cons). Do I need to buy extra adaptors etc?

Angel812094

iPF Noob
Reaction score
christine.dancer said:
I am posting this question again, hopefully in the correct forum this time, I am a novice. Can anyone give me advice on how to transfer (lots!) photos and music files from my PC to my new IPAD2, (I haven't purchased it yet, as I am weighing up the pros and cons). Do I need to buy extra adaptors etc?

Hi you can connect your ipad to the pc and transfer photos music etc from there with the usb u get in the ipad box, ori bought a 2 way adapter from ebay £5 and it has a usb port and sd card reader so u can transfer things straight from your camera, i havnt yet tried with a phone tho :)

Alarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.portalkeepersofgrayrock.com
If you are already using iTunes, it will do it automatically as soon as you connect your iPad for the first time. If you haven't used iTunes before, when you install it, it will give you the option to import all your music and photos into iTunes. Then, when you plug your iPad in, it will automatically put them all on your iPad. Extremely simple!

Now, if you don't want iTunes to put EVERYTHING onto your iPad, you need to go in and deselect the auto-syncing options before you plug your iPad in for the first time. I discovered this the first time I plugged mine in and it attempted to sync about 100 gig of music and 10 years worth of family photos onto my 64 gig iPad!

Edit: Oh, if you have wireless internet in your home, you can also let it do it automatically via wi-fi by using the sync to cloud features.

Jozuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additional question

I have learned how to get my iTunes purchases off the cloud, but how do I access previously stored items that were not purchased?

OP
C

christine.dancer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I now have my iPAD2 and I am getting to grips with it. It is the standard 16 gig version, so I wondered if transfering all my music and photos through itunes is a good idea. How many music tracks and photos, can the ipad 2 handle?

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you plug in the iPad to iTunes and click on the iPad under Devices in the left hand side panel, you will see a bar showing how much space you have and how it is allocated. I would advise you to go to preferences in iTunes and make sure that your device is not to sync automatically when connected. This way you have time to go through your playlists and see what music you want to have on the iPad by ticking those you want. Photos should be put in an folder and organized into separate folders within that folder on your PC. Then when you go to Photos when the iPad is connected to iTunes, you can select Sync photos and navigate to the photos folder. I tend to keep mine on my desktop so the folder is easy to locate. Hope this makes sense!

Most reactions