What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer contacts from iPad2 to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldhippiechic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brand new to iPad (1 & 2). My husbands contacts got wiped out and I'm trying to figure out how to transfer them either from my iPad2 to his or to transfer my contacts to my PC and then to his iPad. I don't use Outlook but was hoping to be able to transfer mine to Outlook then synch them to his. Is this possible or do I have to reenter them?
I have my pC address book in an Excell file only.
From what I've searched this can't be done- I'm hoping I'm wrong.
We were hoping we could synch from iPad to PC.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use Outlook, but it should be possible.

When your iPad is connected to the computer, go to iTunes and select your iPad from the Device list. At the top of the screen you'll see a Info tab. Select that. Then select Sync Contacts. Sync. Whatever you do, do NOT go tot he bottom of the page and select the replace contacts options.

If you have Outlook installed on the computer that should be an option. If you can't use Outlook you'll see that you have an option to sync with Google Contacts. If you don't already have an account you can create one and use that instead.

The next time you sync all your contacts on he iPad and the computer (or Google) should be merged.

Once you've done that you've got a few options. You can use Outlook to export the contacts, then import them into your husbands Outlook or other program. Or you can attempt to sync with the same Outlook computer and account with your husbands iPad. Google has import/export options as well.

Unless you want to keep using it, go back into the iTunes settings for each device and disable the contacts syncing.

A better way to keep your contacts safe is for you both get Google accounts and keep your contacts synced with them. Once the accounts are set up on Google, use this method to set up the accounts.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

The standard GMail account will not sync contacts.

When the popup asks about how to handle your Contacts or Calendars, be sure to choose merge, or keep. Whatever you do, do not replace the contacts on the iPad, or you'll be in the same boat your husband is now.

It is also a pretty good idea to do a backup on both devices before starting. Then if something goes wrong you can restore from backup and try again. To do a back up, just sync the devices before doing anything else. Or right click on the iPad and choose Backup.

Tachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 Calendar to Outlook

Well, I have been using the iPad2 to keep my calendar appointments, lately. But when I sync the iPad2 to the PC through iTunes, iPad2 calendar items do NOT get added to Outlook. Outlook changes get added to iPad2.

So, it works only in one direction. Again, somebody at Apple should look up the meaning of the word "synchronization". :mad:

I am hoping that someone can tell me how I am wrong, but I doubt it.

renne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For iPhone or ipad users, if you want to transfer or backup data to pc or Mac computer, you can use direct data transfer tool to transfer contacts from ipad, itunes doesn’t allow us to transfer the data directly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For iPhone or ipad users, if you want to transfer or backup data to pc or Mac computer, you can use direct data transfer tool to transfer contacts from ipad, itunes doesn’t allow us to transfer the data directly.
This thread is almost 6 years old and predates the introduction of iCloud. iCloud can seamlessly sync all your contacts with all your devices, including PCs, as there's iCloud for Windows available. There's no need for any special data transfer tools to do the job.

With that, this thread is now closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts