What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally New IPAD User: Having Trouble With Volume Icon Display

HIUSA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings IPAD community. I am a totally new IPAD user. My daughter received a new ASUS tablet as a graduation gift and told me I can use her IPAD.lol

As I become familiar with this tablet, the volume icon display continues to appear in the middle of the screen regardless of the application I am working in. If I increase the volume level, the volume display icon temporarily disappears. However, it does return. To make it disappear I have to increase the volume again. Yes, this is very annoying.

Is anyone aware of this type of issue? If yes, is there a resolution without contacting Apple or going to an Apple store?

I would appreciate any assistance anyone cares to render.

Thanks for your time and support!

Kindest regards,

HIUSA

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to do a restart or a reset of the iPad? A lot of the times, the iPad can get "wonky" and just needs a swift kick in the ... software. To do (in case you don't know):

First, fully close all apps: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that ish isn't fix the problem, try this one:

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, this will he set the iPad back to rights. Good luck and do let us know how you get on. If it doesn't help, holler back and well try another stab at it.

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
HIUSA

HIUSA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Marylin and Leelai.

Thank you for being so gracious with your time!

Marylin, I tried both options. Unfortunately, neither was successful. Later today I will review Leelai's suggestions to see if I can find a resolution as well as learn more about this forum process. I will let you know how it goes.

Leelai, I did attempt to do a search for this type of issue before posting the thread. Given I am a rookie, I probably used the wrong language.lol I will review your information later today. I will let you know as well how it goes.

Kindest regards,

HIUSA

Sent from my iPad using iPF HIUSA, Litchfield Park, Arizona

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HIUSA said:
Hello Marylin and Leelai.

Thank you for being so gracious with your time!

Marylin, I tried both options. Unfortunately, neither was successful. Later today I will review Leelai's suggestions to see if I can find a resolution as well as learn more about this forum process. I will let you know how it goes.

Leelai, I did attempt to do a search for this type of issue before posting the thread. Given I am a rookie, I probably used the wrong language.lol I will review your information later today. I will let you know as well how it goes.

Kindest regards,

HIUSA

Physically inspect the volume rocker switch. Is it in the neutral position or is it stuck in the up or down position? When you set a specific volume level does that level remain unchanged or does the iPad go to max or min volume levels regardless? There have been cases where an iPad was dropped and landed on the corner where this switch is located jamming the switch in the up or down position.

Also, is the word headphones displayed under the volume icon?

OP
HIUSA

HIUSA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Thank you for your support! I have tried Marylin's suggestions and reviewed the sites mentioned in Leelai's message. Thank you!

I am still experiencing the problem. In addition, after reviewing previous threads regarding volume button issues, I realize I am also having similar problems with this iPad. I have version 5.1. Based on what I have read, it appears I may have to live with this issue. Is there any value in taking this iPad to an Apple store to see if they can fix it?

I look forward to your thoughts as time allows.

Best,

Paul

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Paul, this must be very annoying to you.

Yes there have been reports of this type of thing happening. Do you know if your ipad has ever received a knock in this general area?
If you have tried all of Marilyn's and Midranger's suggestions I'm afraid the only thing left is to restore your iPad in the hope that this will fix it.
This means a total wipe of your iPad and then restore from a backup. It's a lengthy process which is dependent on what you have on your iPad and there is no guarantee that this will fix it.

Is your iPad still under warranty? If it is Apple will most likely swap it out for a new one of the same model. If not they will offer a new one but at a cost, which from what I have heard is half the price of a new one. It is up to you, but if you do go make sure you do a complete backup first and it's also an idea to make an appointment with the Genius Bar first.

OP
HIUSA

HIUSA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Leelai for the feedback.

Hello small town girl. It is a pleasure to be apart of this forum.

Everyone, looks like I am off to the Apple store sometime this week. I tried a complete reset when I received the iPad from my daughter. I will let everyone know the results.

In the meantime, I truly appreciate everyone's time and support!

I will keep learning my iPad.

Talk to you soon.

Kindest regards,

Paul

Most reactions

Latest posts