What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tons of iPad Competitors popping up...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enso look like a scammer .... especially Shenzhen company as i live in China i know well their behavior .. i already some pretend to have 3G 64 saying they are one factory work for Apple ... be carefull before try to deal with them

enso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ensopad is real

Dear IpadOne,

I want to make it clear that we are an Hong Kong Company, founded by Europeans. Our product is a rebranding with some software improvement, of the Smit 560, here it is MID-560£¨Android MID£©__Mobile internet device__shenzhen state micro technology co.,ltd. I am aware that the front page of enso-now.com looks sketchy, but at the end, there is no scam at all. We have offices in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, if you need further clarifications you can give me a call to one of the numbers listed on our website. I do agree with you anyway on the general reliability of Chinese companies.( The previous sentence does not mean in any way to sound racist.) I just mean that China is developing and they have some time to go, before they get to American/European standards. That is we are in business, we will offer decent English language customer care, high standards dealing with payment, shipping, warranty, privacy, etc. The lack of informations and high resolution pictures on our website is due to the fact that we are waiting for the delivery of our first batch. Get back to us in a week or two, then the website will be updated and you will not "hopefully, feel like calling us "scammer" again.

Thanks
Alberto Armandi
[email protected]

enso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is we are in business, we will offer decent English language customer care, high standards dealing with payment, shipping, warranty, privacy, etc.

Well i meant "That is why we are in business ..."

iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the JooJoo sales will be pretty good if the hardware is "complete" -- the software that's currently on it doesn't really matter since it's just Linux anyway.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@enso

Will you be producing any larger size tablets? I think many would be interested in an Android Tablet between 7-10". (including my self!)

Euripedes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until the Joojoo gets out of its legal problems, I doubt that it will gain much traction. Had the Joojoo shipped last year when it was supposed to and at its original price point of $299, it very well may have taken the wind out of Apple's sail. Now, I think Apple is going to win the day.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about the JooJoo. While it does get flash and a USB port it doesn't have a flush/hidden SD or Micro-SD slot to expand the 4GB of internal memory, which is not going to cut it at all. Talk about being tied even closer to your computer then the iPad.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. HP Slate
hp-slate-big.jpg

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer showed off this HP tablet prototype very briefly at CES this year. It wasn’t the Apple iPad thunder-stealing moment predicted by the media, but it is one of many indications that the tablet form-factor is about to become practically ubiquitous.

This particular HP slate will run Windows 7, setting it apart from the field of tablets running Android you’ll be seeing on the rest of this list. More details about the device were recently revealed by HP in the video below.

2. Dell Streak

dell-slate-big-best.jpg

During its CES 2010 keynote, Dell talked about working on multiple “upcoming slates,†including one prototype it showed off, which is currently called the Streak. This particular model is only 5-inches, though, which puts it less in the direct path of the iPad and makes it more akin to the existing line of mobile internet devices (MIDs) like the Archos series of Internet tablets. Not much else is known yet about the Streak, or what other kinds of tablets Dell might be cooking up, but Engadget did snag some hands-on photos of the device.

3. Asus Eee Tablet

asus-android-big.jpg

Asus is the company responsible for kicking off the entire netbook craze. They were also showing off a prototype of a 9-inch tablet at CES this year. The device has four control buttons reminiscent of the favored layout for an Android-powered phone, leading to the logical speculation that the Asus tablet might well run Google’s mobile operating system.

JKK Mobile snagged a video of the prototype, embedded below.

4. Compal Tablet
compal-tablet-big.jpg

This working prototype was shown off at CES 2010. Made by Compal, the 7-inch Android 2.0 tablet runs on the new, high-powered next-generation Tegra 2 processor NVIDIA announced at CES. With this chip, a device can support 1080p video playback, yet retain startlingly good battery life. NVIDIA says it already has several partners lined up to make Tegra 2-based tablets, so expect more of this type of device in the near near future.

5. Notion Ink Adam
notion-ink-big.jpg

Another tablet running Android and powered by the Tegra 2 chip is the Adam, a 10-inch tablet from Indian startup Notion Ink. It uses a screen technology from Pixel Qi that combines the best of a full color multi-touch LCD display with a low-power reflective mode that’s readable in direct sunlight.

Notion Ink says the Adam should come to market in the second quarter of this year, with a target price somewhere between $300 and $800. Slashgear got a lengthy video demo (embedded below) and oodles of pics of the device.

6. MSI

MSI-android-tablet-big.jpg

Wait for it: It’s another tablet prototype running Android and powered by the Tegra 2, this time from MSI. Engadget found it “a bit thicker and heavier than we’d like,†but on the plus side its 10-inch screen is “plenty responsive.â€

7. Quanta
quanta-tegra-2-big.jpg

One last prototype running Android on the Tegra 2 chip: the Quanta tablet got some early dings in terms of usability. Still, it is only a prototype, so the Wi-Fi and 3G-enabled tablet device could still be a contender in the about-to-be-crowded tablet space.

8. ICD Vega
vega-large-1-425.jpg

Seattle-based startup Innovative Converged Devices announced its Vega tablet back in November 2009, and now the device is officially headed to T-Mobile UK sometime before the end of 2010. Yet another tablet based on Android, the Vega will have a large amount of screen real-estate at 15.6-inches. Check out the full spec list and a hands-on demo video embedded below.

9. Google and HTC
gizmodo-google-tablet-big.jpg

[Mockup image courtesy of Gizmodo]

This one is sadly of the purely rumor variety, but it’s worth mentioning for its potentially game-changing effects. Like it did with the Nexus One, if Google were to take a direct hand in developing a tablet computing device with a trusted partner, it could be a serious contender in the newly emerging tablet wars.

The cited report says the Google Tablet has already been in development for the past 19 months. HTC is a plausible logical choice for the trusted partner as well, given its existing relationship with Google and the Android operating system. Still, with nothing yet official on the books, the Google Tablet is the most speculative entrant on this list for now.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And a new one....

Enso-now.com - The new ensopad Wifi 3G with Google Android 2.0

Which is devoid of almost any information.

Then there's the JooJoo of course

JooJoo

Who else has found new ones?

I already got in Hand the JooJoo and the device is really ready to come out, i guess they wait the result from the US justice where Michael Arrigton put them

The only weak point i found is the processor speed and the weight (of course the price need to be adjust) but i believe this device can find some customer ..

personally i really prefer th Ipad possibility especially due to large choice of App's and the security about the update Apple will ensure and i guess for most of us is the same

PS: Whois.net - Domain Names
Domain Name: enso-now.com
Created On: 04-Feb-2010 00:00:00
Google about : Enso Co Ltd Hong Kong = UNKNOW

Do i have de the right to have some serious doubt's about you're products and company ??

Last edited:

Euripedes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All these windows tablets will run into the same problem; they run Windows, Chrome, or Android. This IS NOT saying that they have a bad operating system; it is to say they have an operating system poorly adapted to tablet computing.

The Windows machines will be nearly impossible to select the right command in the interface with your finger, and, as anyone that has had to do this with a stylus knows, the stylus experience on a touch capable screen is not a good experience. You cannot rest your hand on the screen, because if you do, you start sending odd signals to the computer.

The Android ones have a better chance of competing (I think better then even Chrome) since Android is a touch interface operating system. OTOH, I thing that Google is going to have to make the operating system scaleable for the slates to work as effectively as the iPad will.

Then there is the lack of apps that are scaleable on Android, since this was designed to be an OS for phones, not large Touchscreen MIDs. The developers will need to get in there and fix that (and since Google hasn't altered the operating system to scale like iPhone OS 3.2 does, it will be a while until they can get to that). With Chrome on the way, I am not sure if Google will even expend the resources to make this happen. Android is supposed to be for phones, Chrome is for Netbooks. What little I have seen of Chrome, in its current iteration, it is as poorly suited to a touchscreen device as Window 7 is out of the box.

This gives Apple a comfortable lead against the competition. I want to see others come out with Slates, because this will drive features and capabilities in iPad 2.0 and 3.0.

I use an Android phone, and, when compared to an iPhone, it crashes all the time. My buddy's iPhone has crashed once in the last year. Android needs some refinement, iPhone needs some features, but the user experience favors the iPhone. Unless Google works to fix its software, the user experience will favor the iPad over Android. Unless someone at Microsoft comes up with a Touch Interface for Windows 7 (kind of like what HP did for their TouchSmart computer), slates running Windows 7 are going to be a terrible experience.

That is what Apple has done so successfully over the years, make the interface as intuitive as possible. By choosing the iPhone OS to base the iPad on, they have once again gotten the technology as far out of our way as possible. Competitors in this space have a lot of work to do to get their user experience to match what the iPad will give you out of the box.

In the end, it isn't going to come down to hardware; anyone can build a MID with a touchscreen. It is going to come down to the interface on that screen, how well it adapts to using a finger on it, and what applications are there for it. And those applications are going to have to have interfaces designed for touch as well. So far, only Apple has considered this problem end to end. The competition has to many vendors to present a complete end to end solution in a timely manner. I wouldn't expect any respectable competition for at least three years.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The JooJoo looks like it will give you an excellent browser experience but JooJoo's biggest Achilles' heal might be it's battery life. According to their tech spec JooJoo will last 5 hours on wifi; not a whole lot. Remember, this is their tech spec so real life battery life may be less.

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was into this hype, but in the end I feel that none of these will sell because tablets are a niche item. If one can tote a tablet around one can tote a laptop. These have been brought to the market before with no dice. Does the Ipad have expandable memory or storage?

Most reactions

Latest posts