What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Warner Cable Becomes the First Cable Company to Launch Live TV iPad app

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
time-warner-cable.JPG

The Associated Press reports today that Time Warner Cable Inc has announced that it is launching an iPad app that plays live TV, which will be available to download from the app store on Tuesday morning. The app is free, but will only work if you subscribe to both of Time Warner Cable’s video and Internet services. The app can also only be viewed at home, and requires that your iPad be connected to your Time Warner cable modem via Wi-Fi.

“For all intents and purposes… this enables you to convert any room in a house into a TV room,†Time Warner Cable’s chief operating officer and president Rob Marcus told the AP, adding that to begin with the app will only be able to show 30 basic HD channels, but that figure will soon grow.

The AP report points out that although many other cable and TV companies have iPad apps that stream TV shows and films, Time Warner Cable will be the first to actually show live TV when the app is launched tomorrow.

Source: Time Warner Cable launches iPad app with live TV - Yahoo! News

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon has been promoting a similar app for months, but they say they're still negotiating rights clearances. Maybe this will push them along.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you still have to have your danged cable subscription I see this as just a stop-gap solution as they do what they can to not lose subscribers to Net-based feeds.

Give me a decent TV service on the Net, which I will pay for, and I am there. But they know they cannot charge what they do now by forcing 350 channels we don't watch onto us.... so they will go down kicking and screaming.

Michael

ChileRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having TW, I think it's a cool little freebie. DVR programing and cable box remote are coming soon, they say.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone try this yet? I downloaded it this morning and it kicks me out of the app After the login screen??

p3iii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded app yesterday & was able to register this morning. Picture is good, but no sound. Turned volume all the way & still no sound.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Err.. Except that's its NOT the first app to stream live TV. The BBC News app has allowed you to stream live BBC News 24 for months...

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and while not a downloadable App - tvcatchup.co.uk offers an iPad specific web app which streams all of the free to view digital terrestrial channels.

So hardly groundbreaking!

Porshe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder if Brighthouse Cable Co. qualifies?

It is a TW COMPANY

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and while not a downloadable App - tvcatchup.co.uk offers an iPad specific web app which streams all of the free to view digital terrestrial channels.

So hardly groundbreaking!

Get this message:

Server not found

Apologies. :)

Full disclosure: I do have a bit of a hatred for AP after a run in with one of their hacks a few years back!

Most reactions

Latest posts