What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Capsule or Airport Extreme?

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am deciding which to go with. I already have a 750GB USB drive I could hook up to the Airport but like the idea of a all-in-one.
I am not too concerned about using Time Machine and it will mainly be used as a iTunes Library location.
Any thoughts as to which way might be best?

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPAD@UVA said:
I am deciding which to go with. I already have a 750GB USB drive I could hook up to the Airport but like the idea of a all-in-one.
I am not too concerned about using Time Machine and it will mainly be used as a iTunes Library location.
Any thoughts as to which way might be best?

The all-in-one is a nice idea, however I outgrew the drive in there very quickly. There is a hack that shows how to replace the internal hard drive in there, and I will soon be doing that. If you think you might ever run out of backup space, I would go the separate route.

quinconces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dedicated ext hd for my iTunes. In the long run it causes less problems for what I find is a very temperamental programme.
I have a 1 tb Time Capsule to backup my business iMac, and to give an additional wifi guest net. And finally a further ext hd for films. Works for me :)

Quinconces.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I am looking at trying to do the same thing, however, I have heard a lot of complaints about the Time Capsule. I will be going with an Airport Extreme and an external drive for backups as well as iTunes media folder.

Besides, if you already have a drive, save the $200 for some cooler apps!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 1TB TC that replaced my wifi router and serves as a backup. I also have a Iomega 1TB external drive on my iMac, and a 500GB Newer Technology MiniStack v3. You can never have too many hard drives. My next goal is a NAS or RAID with at least 2-3 TB.

OP
iPAD@UVA

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have decided on the Airport and USB drive. It was my initial thought and I just wanted to make sure there weren't any issues.

Most reactions

Latest posts