What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Cook Issues Personal Apology for Apple Maps

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

It’s not often that Apple apologises, or indeed even comments on the various controversies that frequently emerge about their products, so when Apple actually does issue an official public apology, you know it’s a big deal, and then some! Now, with today’s public statement by Tim Cook regarding what many consider to be the Apple Maps epic fail, it seems that Apple has fully taken on board that its customers are not best pleased. SlashGear reports that Cook has taken the step of posting an open letter on Apple’s website, in which he says that Apple is “extremely sorryâ€, and then goes on to give a detailed explanation of just why the situation occurred, as well as even going so far as to suggest alternatives, including Google web maps! Here’s the full text of the letter:

To our customers,
At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.
There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.
While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.
Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.
Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

Source: Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes for Apple Maps fiasco - SlashGear

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is also the facility in Apple Maps to report errors. There are millions of iDevices around the world. Perhaps it might be a good idea to take a few minutes to have a look around areas with which you are familiar, and send a report when you find an error or omission.

Maps can still become the product that Apple are looking for, and more importantly, what the users are looking for, and we can all help to make it work. I've reported a few things myself, and will continue to do so.

Here's how to do it.

image-2894269075.jpg

image-3067290150.jpg

image-1441189004.jpg

image-754690856.jpg

image-2094405272.jpg

Last edited:

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a hard time thinking about beta testing a product that was released way too early, especially when they took away a good working program. I used to troubleshoot programs and receive compensation. Companies use in-house (paid) beta test teams. Even smaller houses list the volunteer beta testers, either in the credits of the program or on their web site. This time it is more like "help us make a program (database) that is better than the competition." I guess the final world map from Apple will be pretty nice and that would be the compensation, but until then Google has a very large head start.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fid said:
I have a hard time thinking about beta testing a product that was released way too early, especially when they took away a good working program. I used to troubleshoot programs and receive compensation. Companies use in-house (paid) beta test teams. Even smaller houses list the volunteer beta testers, either in the credits of the program or on their web site. This time it is more like "help us make a program (database) that is better than the competition." I guess the final world map from Apple will be pretty nice and that would be the compensation, but until then Google has a very large head start.

So do I, to be perfectly honest, but MS have had us beta-testing Windows for years, so there is a precedent. Whatever the rights and wrongs of moving away from Google products, it had to happen sooner or later. Google had already restricted Apple's use of Maps, which must have been an intolerable situation for Apple. Right now, Apple has the inferior product, but it's in their own court. As things stood, they had an inferior product which they could do nothing about.

One of the good things about Apple has always been their ability to marry their own hardware, software and operating systems into a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. The interoperability between iDevices and Macs is a very exciting prospect, to me at least, and one which I think has been overshadowed by the Maps debate.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
So do I, to be perfectly honest, but MS have had us beta-testing Windows for years, so there is a precedent. Whatever the rights and wrongs of moving away from Google products, it had to happen sooner or later. Google had already restricted Apple's use of Maps, which must have been an intolerable situation for Apple. Right now, Apple has the inferior product, but it's in their own court. As things stood, they had an inferior product which they could do nothing about.

One of the good things about Apple has always been their ability to marry their own hardware, software and operating systems into a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. The interoperability between iDevices and Macs is a very exciting prospect, to me at least, and one which I think has been overshadowed by the Maps debate.

I can understand, but I don't fully agree that there is a precedent. MS does an actual beta test that you have to sign up for. Their main testing is for third party hardware compatibility and computer configuration. Their compensation is (or used to be) a discount on the OS when it comes out. Apple has it way easier since they know the hardware that is in their devices (a blessing).

I think, but could be wrong: for Apple to use Google's map data they had to sign a license agreement. Some of the things Apple wanted to be able to do with that data wasn't covered in the license. Or, maybe it had to do with the Pictures app that allowed you to see on a map where the photo was taken.

As for Apple's Maps data, to have the Golden Gate Bridge tagged as being in downtown San Francisco is just goofy. They also had it tagged in the correct spot.

I'll have to check out the iPad 1 (iOS 5.0.1) Maps app vs. the iPhone 4 (iOS 6) Maps app. I wonder if the iPad is still using the Google database and for how much longer.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fid said:
I can understand, but I don't fully agree that there is a precedent. MS does an actual beta test that you have to sign up for. Their main testing is for third party hardware compatibility and computer configuration. Their compensation is (or used to be) a discount on the OS when it comes out. Apple has it way easier since they know the hardware that is in their devices (a blessing).

I think, but could be wrong: for Apple to use Google's map data they had to sign a license agreement. Some of the things Apple wanted to be able to do with that data wasn't covered in the license. Or, maybe it had to do with the Pictures app that allowed you to see on a map where the photo was taken.

As for Apple's Maps data, to have the Golden Gate Bridge tagged as being in downtown San Francisco is just goofy. They also had it tagged in the correct spot.

I'll have to check out the iPad 1 (iOS 5.0.1) Maps app vs. the iPhone 4 (iOS 6) Maps app. I wonder if the iPad is still using the Google database and for how much longer.

I was being somewhat cynical in referring to retail versions of Windows as betas. But this makes a good point. Maps is brand new, and works, to a great extent. Those who use map data, if they are anything like me, don't rely on one source, in any case. I have a Garmin GPS in my truck, but I would not dream of heading into unfamiliar territory without my hard copy atlas. I use two, three or even four separate aids to find my way around, in addition to my own considerable experience. I CAN find my way around without recourse to electronics, but I find it convenient and efficient to use electronic maps and GPS.

Missing and incorrect information can be corrected over time and, since Google is being touted as the purveyor of perfection, have a look and see what they managed to do to the Hoover Dam Bypass. It's not as immediately obvious as Apple's 3D rendition of the roller coaster ride from hell, but it's still there.

I'm content to wait, and supply corrections as I'm able to do so. I doubt there will be any deaths as a result of ambulance drivers (example) being led up a blind alley in their insistence that the only facility is their iPhone.

Apple can, and do, get it right. Let's at least give them time to try.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'd guess Apple will sort this sooner rather than later, they can't afford to loose ground against Samsung or give their fanzine the ammo to persuade undecided buyers to go Android platform due to an unattended own goal.

When it finally works it looks good, and i'm told it will be a satnav app in is own right, meanwhile the many mapping programs that used to pull in Google maps are going to have a hard time if it until they do. imho just shows how sorely missed SJ is!

Just shows how invaluable SJ was

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kevin, I agree with using more than one source to help find your way. I have been lead astray a few times due to bad maps, even store bought ones. It is still really nice to be able to use Maps, or the browser to get to other online maps for comparison. I, too, like to plan in advance when venturing out into to new territories. I live in the middle of nowhere. There's not much tagged on the maps, so theres not much in error around here. There's not much around here.

Admiral, when you go back in time can I go with you? If I wasn't on dial-up I'd look up about the early days of Google Maps. If I remember correctly there were map programs that you could purchase on cd around that same time. They weren't very detailed.

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's kind of weird these days when . I wonder if this is a smart move. Steve would never give an apology even if the whole world keep complaining about Apple. This is just a first version of Apple Maps, and although it's really bad, a few more update should fix many big issues.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's kind of weird these days when . I wonder if this is a smart move. Steve would never give an apology even if the whole world keep complaining about Apple. This is just a first version of Apple Maps, and although it's really bad, a few more update should fix many big issues.

I can see Steve issuing an apology. He would have also committed a timeline to make Maps insanely great.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google didn't want to have a level playing field by allowing turn-by-turn direction on iOS. This is one of the main reasons I didn't use Google Maps. The other reason is because, up until very recently, all maps hads to be downloaded...if you ever get outside of cellular range, then you're dead (which actually happens to me in parts of the south east US. To me, these were two major problems with Google Maps. I even quit using it on Android, in favor of Navigon. Frankly, I think Apple did the right thing here. They also have committed themselves to find a better maps solution for iOS, one way or other. I'd rather have a real committment than an unfullfilled promise and a lousy mapping app.

Most reactions

Latest posts